Massage Questions

psycomac

I looked for a 'spa forum' board but didn't see one and since I plan on cruising NCL (knock wood), I figured this was as good a place as any.

I'm thinking about booking a massage during the cruise but I have never gotten one before so I'm completely unfamiliar with the process. How naked are you? (Top and bottom or just top?) When they say 'full body', exactly how MUCH of 'full body' do they do? What are the differences between the styles of massage? (swedish vs deep tissue, etc).

I know these are probably pretty basic questions but like I said, I've never gotten a massage so I really have no idea what to expect and I want to be prepared if I decide to go full body and a stranger starts rubbing my butt. lol

You can get as undressed as you feel comfortable. They do a really good job keeping you covered and only exposing the area they are working on.. The sheet is usually tucked under you to help you feel more secure. (They swaddle us :-) )

You can also discuss what areas you would like to have massaged. They can concentrate on problem areas or avoid any areas you are not comfortable having worked.

I am unsure about the differences with the types of massages. Perhaps our friend google could help you out :-)

They won't touch your butt, LOL. I think I left my unders on, but you can get naked if you are more comfy. You disrobe and put on a robe and then they allow you to get situated and covered while they are out of the room. They will massage back, arms and legs depending on the massage type.

I had a combination head massage, hot stone and Swedish? massage on the Dawn. Sorry, I don't really know the difference in the massage types. The spa is open for tours after embarkation and they can answer any questions.

On port days they often have specials. They will put flyers in the Freestyle Daily covering the special offers throughout the week. I think my combo massage was a pick 3 from a menu for $99 or $109. It was fantastic. And they have couples massages etc.

For exact specific differences in massages, ask the spa, as sometimes the same massage can vary even throughout the NCL fleet, even from masseuse to masseuse. In general, a Swedish massage is more "open hand" rubbing, less pressure. Deep tissue is more intense, more kneading and more pressure directed deep into the lower layers of muscle - it can leave you feeling a bit sore or bruised, but really get those deep down knots out. Then they have "specialty" massages. Hot stone is exactly that, they rest smooth hot stones on your back and then massage with them, allowing the heat to get deep into your muscles. NCL has been offering two types of Poultice massages as well, Herbal and Coconut - a poultice is like a stuffed bag of herbs (think lavender, etc), heated in steam and rolled over your muscles. *Some* masseuses roll the poultices over your lymph nodes, draining the lymph and creating the most amazing detoxification which you can feel immediately, others concentrate more on muscles and are more "eh". The coconut poultice is more moisturizing, less intense. Aromatherapy is just scents added to the massage oils, which can greatly enhance the whole experience.

The main thing is to think about what you want out of the massage. If your body is feeling pretty good and you only want to relax, Swedish massage might be a good way to start. If you have deep knots or muscle spasms, go for something more intense - a good massage can relieve that tension for weeks. I personally think the hot stone massage is gimmicky, but lots of people enjoy them. The poultice massages are my favorites - they get the deep deep stuff, without burning my sensitive skin or making me feel too "bruised" - and if you can have one where your lymph system is drained, it's truly an amazing thing that I can't explain, you just have to feel it... Don't let the spa personnel talk you into something you don't really want, and tell them you DON'T want to buy any products before you start (be firm) (you can always change your mind, but the hard sell can kill the post-massage "buzz"). Plan your massage early in the cruise in case you decide you want another later. And always go for the extra time, it's a bargain on a minute per minute basis, and I think once you get comfortable in a massage, you always want more :D.

Another thing I do is always wear a shower cap (ask for one) to keep the oils out of my hair - I LOVE the scents and feeling of the oils on my skin after a massage, so hate to shower them right off - the shower cap helps to keep my hair clean so I can go to dinner or whatever afterwards without showering. It's like basking in that post-massage high all night long..

The spa will have specials throughout the week. With very sensitive skin, I cannot do many of the "mixed bag" specials (facials, wraps, bundled with short massages), but a good long massage is always excellent, even with a less than perfect masseuse - so I usually get one with an extra 15 minutes thrown in for free.

As for the actual massage, try not to be self-conscious and just relax and enjoy it. These ladies (and you can ask specifically for a female) have seen it ALL, so there is nothing to be self-conscious about. I have been both totally naked (coming from the hot tub in a wet bathing suit) or left my undies on, and have never been "exposed". They are very professional. Tell them exactly what is bothering you (I, for example, have two very deep muscles spasms in my upper left back) and request specifically that they treat that. During the massage if you want more or less pressure, tell them. And most of all, just relax and enjoy what you are paying for!

Robin

I looked for a 'spa forum' board but didn't see one and since I plan on cruising NCL (knock wood), I figured this was as good a place as any.

I'm thinking about booking a massage during the cruise but I have never gotten one before so I'm completely unfamiliar with the process. How naked are you? (Top and bottom or just top?) When they say 'full body', exactly how MUCH of 'full body' do they do? What are the differences between the styles of massage? (swedish vs deep tissue, etc).

I know these are probably pretty basic questions but like I said, I've never gotten a massage so I really have no idea what to expect and I want to be prepared if I decide to go full body and a stranger starts rubbing my butt. lol

I take everything off except unders. Just can't go that far ;) If you've never done it before, start with a Swedish. It's very relaxing, and you are under a sheet. The only parts exposed are what they are working on. Full body is everything except your private parts - they won't touch that, not on a cruise ship anyway. Some land based ones will ask if you want your butt massaged, but I've never been asked (or touched on my butt) on a cruise ship. Also, don't do a deep tissue. I did on the Epic and was brusied and sore the whole week.

They will give you a form to fill out. On the bottom of the form, in very clear letters write "No sales, please". Otherwise, they will hound the crap out of you to buy stuff during your "relaxing" treatment.

That is AWESOME. Never knew you could do that. I've never done the spa but the hubster and my Big Kid have. The sales pitches are so freaking annoying.

For exact specific differences in massages, ask the spa, as sometimes the same massage can vary even throughout the NCL fleet, even from masseuse to masseuse.....

Robin

Oh thank you so much!! This was exactly what I was looking for. That herb bag thing sounds like what I want. I love to have my back rubbed (it's a genetic thing I think, everyone in my family (even my 4 yr old DD) loves to have our back rubbed, and scalp massage (which I think I read somewhere they do that too). Now I really cannot wait and will definitely be booking something, probably on the last port day because I doubt I'll go ashore then.

Oooooh another thing to look forward (WAIT IMPATIENTLY) to! lol

My friend just texted me and said she wanted the cheapest interior cabin available when I book so she's going to be super shocked when she finds out where she and her DD are ACTUALLY staying :D

You're so cute! :)

They will give you a form to fill out. On the bottom of the form, in very clear letters write "No sales, please". Otherwise, they will hound the crap out of you to buy stuff during your "relaxing" treatment.

Yupster they do. This is very good advice! :)

That is AWESOME. Never knew you could do that. I've never done the spa but the hubster and my Big Kid have. The sales pitches are so freaking annoying.

On one of my RCCL cruises, they literally hounded me the whole time. To say I was annoyed is an understatement, and definitely not relaxed. It was to the point where I told the girl if she said another word about me buying anything, her tip was gone (and I am SO not like that - so she really irked me.) Ever since then, I have been writing that on the form, and I have never had a problem. It's so nice!! LOL

I take everything off except unders. Just can't go that far ;) If you've never done it before, start with a Swedish. It's very relaxing, and you are under a sheet. The only parts exposed are what they are working on. Full body is everything except your private parts - they won't touch that, not on a cruise ship anyway. Some land based ones will ask if you want your butt massaged, but I've never been asked (or touched on my butt) on a cruise ship. Also, don't do a deep tissue. I did on the Epic and was brusied and sore the whole week.

Actually a good masseause will massage your butt, it is the biggest muscle in your body. You'd be surprise how much tension can be in your butt.

Actually a good masseause will massage your butt, it is the biggest muscle in your body. You'd be surprise how much tension can be in your butt.

I wouldn't be surprised at all how much tension is there...I've seen how big my butt is :p lol

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't be surprised at all how much tension is there...I've seen how big my butt is :p lol

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Forums mobile app

:D:eek::D:D

Archived