Best ports for souvenirs at the dock?

psyfi

We will be at Moorea, Huahine, Bora Bora, Rangiroa, and Raiatea. I was wondering which, of any of these ports would have some nice souvenir shopping at the dock when the ship is in port? Often I like to shop in "craft market" type shops where I can often get an original piece right from the artist. I know about Le Marche in Papeete and we will go there for sure. Just wondering which islands I should carry a little extra cash? Thanks

I have seen craft type stores in Raitea which has a large market operation at the dock, Moorea which has some unusual stuff and the regular too and Bora Bora both in the artisan market and further down.

Pity you wont be in the Marquesas if you like that type of thing - there are lot of wonderful carvings etc there.

Psyfi which cruise are you going to be on?

On your itinerary there is no shortage of nice Tahitian craft and clothing type shops.

One of our favorites was Bora Bora. The tender docks directly adjacent to a number of permanent structures with all sorts of crafts, plus the main marketplace and dozens of shops and eateries are just a few steps away on the main/only road. If you are in the market for high quality pearls the Robert Wan outlet is just 100 yards to the right (a great selection, good pricing, and great air conditioning system with refreshments to boot).

Moorea was pretty good too. Enjoy.

We are sticking with the Ocean Princess Jan 29 sailing Emdee.

Thanks for the tips, we will not be making any high end pearl purchases but I hope to find some moderate pieces to bring home as souvenirs.

The marquesas are always a reason to go back to FP :)

Psyfi if you are on the Jan 29th then you will likely be in BB same day as us. I think our second day coincides with you.

Will you be doing Patrick's tour? If so then I may have some people who may want to join you. A larger group is a cheaper price for all.

Next trip on the PG Psyfi. I am planning a PG lovers cruise in 2014 July.

Miriam

We'll be in Bora Bora Feb 5 and 6 and want to do the combo 4x4 with the motu lunch and 3 snorkel stops on Feb 5. If you are also in port and anyone wants to do that, or perhaps even just the 4x4 part, that would be a great help. I would be bummed not to get to see the lagoon from the mountain, I have heard the view is amazing. But if we can't get more people we will still do the 3/4 day tour without the 4x4.

We certainly won't be back to FP by July 2014 but I will certainly let you know when we decide to head back!

Guest zafra63

What are your experiences re: bringing back souvenirs. When you declare them, are you allowed to keep them, e.g. shells or wooden items. I love to hear about your experiences. Thanks:)

I am from Canada and did not have a problem bringing a wooden carved paddle and ukelie into the country from F.P.. We do not have the very firm firm codes that you have in Australia. We have just been and sent home by mail a paddle from New Zealand so we would not have a problem landing from our cruise in Australia.

Raiatea has some lovely mother of pearl necklaces and cheap pearl jewellery. It was cheaper than Bora Bora for soaps and tiare oil as well.

They had beautiful flower arrangements for your cabin that were a good price too.

We spent all morning at the market at Raiatea as well as buying good quality and beautiful printed pareos at one of the shops there. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the shop.

Psyfi,

July 2014 is for PG Lovers only! You wont qualify since you are a princess lover! I shall my roll call people to contact you in case they want to do the 4x4.

Our ship leaves BB at 4.00 so I dont know if they will choose to do so that day.

Psyfi,

July 2014 is for PG Lovers only! You wont qualify since you are a princess lover! I shall my roll call people to contact you in case they want to do the 4x4.

Our ship leaves BB at 4.00 so I dont know if they will choose to do so that day.

I'm actually a Celebrity lover, but they don't do the cruise I want in FP, and I can't afford PG so Princess it is!

zafra63 user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

I have noticed that you are travelling Sydney to Hawaii this year.

we are booked for next year (2013) and would like your tips on the markets etc and good things to bring back as gift and any other hints would be appreciated greatly.

Have a great trip.....not long now!

cheers

B&B

Archived