Which month for Eastern Caribbean?

Traveller20074

I did Eastern this March and the weather was wonderful. It was spring break time (which is why I went -- as a teacher I'm only out when the students are out) so that will definitely increase the crowds, but we had a great time and would definitely do it again.

We'll be on the Gem in January! We love getting away during the coldest months up here in NY, and the weather has always been perfect for us (we've done three December Caribbean cruises and one January). I would avoid Spring Break time from a crowding perspective (I loved it as a college student, but not so much now:))

What's most important to you? Water temps? Sunshine? Ages or crowds on the ship? Price?

Definitely weather. I DO NOT want it to rain, that would be a deal-breaker. (if it rained a day or two a little bit, it might not be bad. Or, cloudy a little, with sunbreaks, etc.) Crowds? Hmmm...not sure..we'll have 3 kids with us...8, 3, and 18 months. New York would be the port we'll be leaving from, and in December the weather might be pretty cold there, but it would be awesome to see Christmas...Rockefeller Center would be a must see for me.

Definitely weather. I DO NOT want it to rain, that would be a deal-breaker. (if it rained a day or two a little bit, it might not be bad. Or, cloudy a little, with sunbreaks, etc.) Crowds? Hmmm...not sure..we'll have 3 kids with us...8, 3, and 18 months. New York would be the port we'll be leaving from, and in December the weather might be pretty cold there, but it would be awesome to see Christmas...Rockefeller Center would be a must see for me.

I hate to tell you this, but it rains in the Caribbean. This is especially true in the Eastern Caribbean. However, when it rains (ever wonder why the islands like Grenada and St. Lucia are so green?) it doesn't rain all day. Take and umbrella and you will be fine.

I have never looked at a 10 day forecast for the Carribean area that didn't say for almost every day, showers and scattered thunderstorms. But, we have never had more than an hour or two of those scattered showers, and usually only 5 miles away the sun is shinning. So yes, a good chance of it raining, maybe each day...but not for long. And, it cools things down briefly.

December, 1 cruise: Rained one full day and one half day

Mid-late January, 4 cruises: No rain

I would imagine late January-March are your best weather bets. Water should be warm in those timeframes, too.

Archived