Cruising for Couples only?

AnotherShawnee

My sister had cancer and I had promised her a trip when she recovered. We were thinking of the Viking River Cruise but she thinks we will be on a couples only cruise. Is that true? Are there singles on them? We were looking at the Rhine River tour. Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!!

While the majority of cruisers are couples, we have met a number of "singlets" - and friends travelling together. I do not think that you will feel as if you do not fit in....

What a wonderful way to celebrate life!!! I think this is a great idea, and seeing part of Europe on a river cruise can be very magical. What a great sister you are to think of this...

Wishing your sister good health from this point forward. And wishing you both the trip of a lifetime - with lots of opportunities to make special memories...

Fran

I take every second cruise alone, and I always have lots of other single travellers, sisters, cousins, friends on board too.

I have time out for myself, and so my husband is not with me, and it's no biggie, have no fears you will both be fine. I hope you both enjoy yourselves immensely :)

I join in saying WELCOME to Cruise Critic! You'll find a wealth of information, suggestions, coments on these boards from people all over the world who just love to travel, especially on the water!!

Last October we were on our first River Cruise (Viking, Protraits of Southern France, Rhone River). We spent 3 days pre-cruise in Paris and post-cruise 2 in Avignon and 4 in Nice.

For the cruise part of our trip we were joined by 2 women friends who have been part of our traveling group before - my son's future mother-in-law and her friend, both widows who often travel together.

On our trip I know there were at least 3 or 4 other cases of women traveling together - either relatives or friends - and they fit in perfectly with the couples on the trip! The ship is small enough that it just encourages conversation and friendliness.

And as for the excursions, even the ones included with the cruise, they are all voluntary - you can skip any or join in everything - even just one person from a twosome. The wife of one couple had a knee problem and would skip some excursions but he just fell in with us - no problem. In Lyon, after the ship's tour, my DH and I decided to stay for lunch - we were joined by 2 others - one each from different couples who also wanted to "eat out" - their mates when back to rest and have lunch aboard the ship.

While its impossible to garentee the make-uo of any specific cruise, since there are SO many more senior women then men, it's not unusual that 2 women - be they relatives or friends - would be traveling together.

If you book - hope you enjoy a fabulous cruise!

I will be doing my first cruise as a single. My husband and I had planned to cruise again this year, but he passed away from heart failure. I decided to carry on with our plans and I booked my cruise last week. In our past cruises, there have been singles, two friends traveling together as well as couples. I think that it is wonderful that you are planning a special trip! Enjoy!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I travel every year with a friend. She is a widow, I dumped my ex many years ago. We have never had any concens or problems either ocean cruising or river cruising. We love to see new places, experience new cultures and it is great when someone else does all the planning. We have found the fellow passengers very friendly and fun on both AMA and Scenic. We like to travel with passengers from various countries, not just from one or two and AMA/APT, Scenic and others market heavily outside of N. America and we have met many wonderful people from around the world. You will have a wonderful time.

I will be doing my first cruise as a single. My husband and I had planned to cruise again this year, but he passed away from heart failure. I decided to carry on with our plans and I booked my cruise last week. In our past cruises, there have been singles, two friends traveling together as well as couples. I think that it is wonderful that you are planning a special trip! Enjoy!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pat -

So sorry to hear about your husband... I am sure that this will be a bittersweet trip for you - doing a cruise on your own for the 1st time.

I do think it is wonderful, however, that you are continuing on with plans that you had made as a couple.

May your trip bring you joy....

Fran

Pat ~ So sorry about your loss but hurray for you going on your own! A good friend had a similar experience about 20 years ago! Dorothy and her husband began ocean cruising in the 60s long, long before it became popular! (We joke that, by now, she owns RCL!!) The year after he suddenly passed she decided to take their schedule cruise - we all thought she was crazy and would spend the whole time depressed. But she tried it and found she was at peace and could feel connected even more with him on the ship and high seas. She's continued to take at least one cruise yearly, even though she's in her 80s and usually only goes NYC to Bermuda she still enjoys the experience of sailing and meeting new people - she becomes everyone's "sister", "aunt", "grandma"!!

Now everyone is different but, if its right for you then continue on!!

Have a good trip!!

I have been on fourteen river cruises (with 3 more booked) all as a single. I feel river cruising is one of the best trips for singles. There are usually 3-6 other singles aboard the ship but I usually hook up with couples with similar interests. With on 120-170 passangers it is easy to meet people.

Roger

For the most part, everybody just hangs out. It's not always clear whom is with who. You just mingle with friendly couples or singles, or groups traveling together. I traveled with a group of 10 people last year, and we "adopted" a solo traveling woman who joined our group for dinner and excursions and became extremely popular. I think a river cruise is a perfect venue to travel solo. I have also take 3 trips with my sister, while our spouses remained home for one reason or another, and it worked out perfectly....

Thank you all for the warm welcome and good information. Now, can I ask have any of you been on the AMA Waterways tours? My sister found one she likes but I had never heard of them. I have friends who went on the Viking one and they loved that one. Thank you all again!!!

I haven't been on a cruise for many years, then it was to Bermuda and to Mexico, Grand Caymans, etc. This is the first venture on a river cruise.

Vantage offers single bed cabins at a single person rate. I know some ocean cruises charge singles same as two passengers.

My husband and I have shared many a delightful dinner table with singles, couples, and family groups. Cruising provides the opportunity to meet other people in a shared experience. River cruising is perfect for singles. With the group tours at every stop, you would not have to venture out alone on the excursions.

I hope you go and have a wonderful time.

AMAwaterways is a wonderful cruise line--upscale enough to feel comfortable. Their attention to detail is remarkable. Their local tours are very good--using the vox boxes. You don't have to be on top of the guide to hear. Food on our trips with them was excellent and regional. There are tables for 2 on up. no need for formal clothes or evn jackets for the men. We have travelled twice with them out of our 15 river cruises and would again if they had the itinerary we wanted. Even tho they are an American based company, they attract pax from all over the world. Pat

Vantage offers single bed cabins at a single person rate. I know some ocean cruises charge singles same as two passengers.

My husband and I have shared many a delightful dinner table with singles, couples, and family groups. Cruising provides the opportunity to meet other people in a shared experience. River cruising is perfect for singles. With the group tours at every stop, you would not have to venture out alone on the excursions.

I hope you go and have a wonderful time.

I won't be traveling alone, I would be with my sister. I was just wondering if it were couples only and my sister and I would feel out of place. Actually, it is my sister who was concerned as she hasn't really traveled without her ex before. I am use to being a single, it has been many years since my husband passed.

But, I sincerely appreciate the information about it and look forward to enjoying people on the journey if they are as welcoming as you and the others who replied.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and good information. Now, can I ask have any of you been on the AMA Waterways tours? My sister found one she likes but I had never heard of them

I do agree with Pat's comment. AMA is wonderful. We have cruised with them once... and it was great fun.

If you have found a cruise you are interested in, I would suggest you look into availability. You didn't indicate in your original post *when* you were looking to travel, but many sailing already sold out this year - and many people (moi aussi) already booked for 2014.

Again - Welcome to Cruise Critic - and the River Cruise forum... Just a word of warning, however.... river cruising can be addictive!!! :D

Fran

Hi Fran, you stole my line about being addictive--love yours about aquarium class. We really love the rivers, such a calm way to travel. Received a Scenic catelogue today, so they are expanding to the US. Their ships look lovely. With number 16 in June, guess we are addicted.

Pat

Hi Pat -

Sorry for stealing your comment...:D - but it is so true!!!

We fly out in 2 months for #6... Only took our 1st in 2008. Our original hope was to do one every 2 years - but good planning (and good sales, with money saved sailing Aquarium class) has allowed us to go yearly. We have #7 booked for this September, and #8 booked for next year. Have managed to convince friends that river cruising is a great way to travel - so we now have companions on some of our trips. They went with us to Russia last year, and are with us again next year for the south of France.

I was "restructured" out of my job last June - so have been spending some time trying to figure out what the future looks like. When we talked with a financial planner, I told him that money to travel is a non-negotiable item. No point in having time to travel if you don't have the money!!! :eek:

Fran

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I am babysitting my granddaughter while her Mom and Dad are away and believe me, she keeps me busy. A four year old never stops.

Anyway, I mentioned the AMA cruise, The Enchanting Rhine. When I spoke to their representative it seems like it was going to be a tough one. It was almost totally sold out for this coming July, however, there was a cancellation for a D stateroom, which we were lucky enough to get. We will be spending two days in Zurich and two days in Lucerne, then off on the cruise. We are also on the wait list for an upgrade. I am ecstatic with the reps. work on this one. And I cannot wait to get my first river cruise underway.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I am babysitting my granddaughter while her Mom and Dad are away and believe me, she keeps me busy. A four year old never stops.

Anyway, I mentioned the AMA cruise, The Enchanting Rhine. When I spoke to their representative it seems like it was going to be a tough one. It was almost totally sold out for this coming July, however, there was a cancellation for a D stateroom, which we were lucky enough to get. We will be spending two days in Zurich and two days in Lucerne, then off on the cruise. We are also on the wait list for an upgrade. I am ecstatic with the reps. work on this one. And I cannot wait to get my first river cruise underway.

Congratulations on booking your cruise!! Glad you were able to get a cabin on the itinerary you wanted.

Although you are waiting for an upgrade, all is not lost if one doesn't come through. Many people do prefer a French Balcony room, but you still have a window - and the cabin size is the same.... We book lowest category (aka Aquarium class) and have been happy with our choice.

Fran

Congratulations on booking your cruise!! Glad you were able to get a cabin on the itinerary you wanted.

Although you are waiting for an upgrade, all is not lost if one doesn't come through. Many people do prefer a French Balcony room, but you still have a window - and the cabin size is the same.... We book lowest category (aka Aquarium class) and have been happy with our choice.

Fran

Thank you for telling me that, it makes me feel better. I don't care about the room, but my sister liked the idea of the French balcony. I don't think we will be sitting in the room much so doesn't make any difference. I have to say that your advice and the help of others is making me even more excited about this trip.

Archived