Pharmacies in Cozumel

lori450

I will be in Coz and have prescriptions from my MD for my migraine medication. It is very expensive in the US and I would like to buy it when I am in Coz. Does anyone know of a reputable pharmacy and how I can get there? (I take Relpax). Thanks

Many medications that require a percription in the U.S. do not require one in Mexico. Narcotics are an exception. The best stocked pharmacy on the island is Farmacia Doris located on Juarez between 15 Av. and 20 Av.

They also have a medical doctor who can furnish you with a percription for a fee, depending on what medicine.

For less expensive generic meds use Farmacia Similares located on Primera at 15 Av. You can generally save a lot there vs. the brand names at the other pharmacies.

Jim, Thank you so much. That is exactly the information I needed. Would you have any idea how much a taxi should cost from the port to the pharmacies and do I have to have him wait or is it easy to find another taxi to get back to the ship? Are these two pharmacies within walking distance of each other or do I need to drive? Which one would you suggest I try first? Do you know if they offer a discount if I buy in quantity? Thanks again for all your help.

I don't know the drugs you are after, but if price is the main factor and you don't have to have a percription try the Farmacia Similares first. The other is one to the south and and one half block east.

They are both walking distance from Punta Langosta and the downtown ferry pier, but you would need a taxi if coming from the International Pier.

They don't need to wait, taxis are generally available to the tourist.

You might want to reconsider .... apparently it is illegal to bring back prescription drugs from outside the country. I was stopped and my bags searched once and the big question was whether I had purchased prescriptions drugs (I had not.) Until then, I had no idea you could not bring them back into the US, as the pharmacies will readily sell you various totally legal prescription items in Cozumel. The quote below is from the US Customs site.

Thus, in virtually all instances, individual citizens are prohibited from importing prescription drugs into the United States.

Everytime we go to Cozumel I have made purchases (including in June this year) of asthma inhalers and Retin A at The American Drug Store/American Pharmacy: http://gocozumel.com/pharmacy/ . I found out about it on these boards http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=90463&highlight=pharmacy. They speak english, are very pleasant and while it is a tiny little place it seems to have about everything.

I have claimed my purchases on my customs forms and have not had any problems. I researched the legality of it a couple years ago, but, maybe I'd better review it again!

We've declared prescriptions meds twice upon our returns from Coz, and U.S. Customs never asked a question. (We also take the U.S. script with us.) We asked a customs agent onboard Rhapsody earlier this year, and he said they are looking for the "other kind of drugs", ie. heroin, MJ and cocaine/crack, plus medications containing suphedrine which can be used to cook Meth.

Just what we were told.

Now here come all the folks to tell you how unsafe the Mexican prescriptions are...

:rolleyes:

LL

Here is some interesting and maybe valuable information.

http://seniorhealth.about.com/cs/prescriptiondrugs/a/mexico_rx.htm

and more can be learned here...

http://www.peoplesguide.com/1pages/chapts/health/buymed/cheapmed1.html

Isn't it a shame that a trained agent of the U.S. Customs Service would be so uninformed?

Thank you all so much! As I mentioned in my first post, I am just trying to get my migraine medication. I know US Rx aren't valid in MExico, but I will bring them and copies to prove I have them. Isn't it a shame that we have to resort to importing medications from out side the country. I am grateful for all your information.

Now here come all the folks to tell you how unsafe the Mexican prescriptions are...:rolleyes:
Don't think any of the prescription drugs discussed here are unsafe, just because they're purchased in Mexico. My comment was solely based on their questioning me and searching my bags for prescriptions drugs. I could understand them looking for illegal substances carried by tourists .... but couldn't fathom the big deal over prescriptions ..... just our weird goverment at work!!

Don't think any of the prescription drugs discussed here are unsafe, just because they're purchased in Mexico. My comment was solely based on their questioning me and searching my bags for prescriptions drugs. I could understand them looking for illegal substances carried by tourists .... but couldn't fathom the big deal over prescriptions ..... just our weird goverment at work!!

Actually it was once a very common practice and probably goes on in large scale still many American tourist pay Mexican doctors for prescriptions and buy drugs such as Valium thinking this is acceptable and it apparently is not.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I take Lortab (norco) every 4-6 hours back & neck pain. I have had two surgeries which didn't work out very well. Anyway I am wondering about rules & regs about bringing my medicine with me aboard the ship. Do I have to inform anyone? I have legal US prescription and all. So .... Also the foreign Customs eg Mexico or Jamaica which ever?

Thanks in advance,

D

• 1 month later...

We had a group on the Legend back in September and went to the pharmacy in Cozumel. We mainly bought antibiotics, Levaquin and Cipro for me, my friend bought augmentin and amoxicillin. We had no issues with customs and the medication has worked well for us when we needed it plus we saved a lot of money!:) I will definitely go back to that pharmacy this September when we go on our next cruise!

• 1 year later...
We had a group on the Legend back in September and went to the pharmacy in Cozumel. We mainly bought antibiotics, Levaquin and Cipro for me, my friend bought augmentin and amoxicillin. We had no issues with customs and the medication has worked well for us when we needed it plus we saved a lot of money!:) I will definitely go back to that pharmacy this September when we go on our next cruise!

Which pharmacy did you use in Coz?

Archived