What to buy in Panama

Jeanine&Jim

Panama hats are generally made in Ecuador, but they will be selling "Panama hats" of some sort on the pier at Cristobal. I like to buy molas, or t-shirts with molas on them. It's probably a more female thing than for boys. Be sure to enjoy the shops at the pier. There are lots of different hand crafts. Even if you don't fall for anything, it's a great place to window shop.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to by real Panama Hats for my sons Anyone recommend a place in Colon to get one?

Any other good things to buy? Thanks Jeanine

Princess strongly advises to avoid Colon due to the crime. We had just a few hrs. in Cristobal and spent the time there at the pier shops where there are plenty of "Panadour" hats. :D

I would like to by real Panama Hats for my sons Anyone recommend a place in Colon to get one?

Any other good things to buy? Thanks Jeanine

There is a large flea market area where the ship docks, but I do not think it is safe to leave this secured area and wander about Panama. At least I do not believe anybody we spoke with on our cruise left the secured area. There is a good variety of vendors at the flea market and it is low pressure (i.e. they are not badgering you to purchase something). You can haggle a bit over the price if you want. You can also purchase Panama beer cheap in the flea market area as well as purchase calling cards for cheap (there is an area with several pay phones by the area selling the phone cards).

My wife bought a little colorful dress for her friend's daughter and a couple tote bag type items and I bought some Panamanian beer. :)

Panama is my favorite shopping country in the Americas. The Embera Indians make wonderful goods. The make beautiful baskets and carvings in both wood and Tagua nuts. Actually, the Tugua nut carvings are my favorite and I have a whole collections. Frogs, birds, sloths, snakes, etc all carved in a nut that becomes rock hard. Don't wonder around Colon to do your shopping. Buy your goods right at the pier, or better yet take an excursion to see the Embera and you can buy right from the person who made it.

Princess strongly advises to avoid Colon due to the crime. We had just a few hrs. in Cristobal and spent the time there at the pier shops where there are plenty of "Panadour" hats. :D

If you stay in the shopping area at the ship you will NOT have Crime. Just don't wander from there on your own. They have a nice shopping area. Tableclothes were lovely! Enjoy! Nancie

Panama is my favorite shopping country in the Americas. The Embera Indians make wonderful goods. The make beautiful baskets and carvings in both wood and Tagua nuts. Actually, the Tugua nut carvings are my favorite and I have a whole collections. Frogs, birds, sloths, snakes, etc all carved in a nut that becomes rock hard. Don't wonder around Colon to do your shopping. Buy your goods right at the pier, or better yet take an excursion to see the Embera and you can buy right from the person who made it.

Here are some pictures from the market at the Cristobal pier. You can get an idea of the items for sale from the pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/colon

A couple of years ago we stopped at Cristobal Pier for some shopping. We got a beautiful handcrafted table cloth for my mom, some carved figurines, and lovely wooden bowl (holds our cruise chocolates..we never eat them on board) and some panamian coffee. Lots of selection and great prices!

Archived