A ? I have never seen on here before

thepauls93

Does anybody know the answer to this ?. I was wondering if we can order a meal at dinner time from the MDR on Carnival & then take it to the room to eat??? Like show up there at 6pm & ask for a soup, main dish & dessert to go, can you? Thanks, Anna :)

I have never sailed Carnival, but based on the lines I have sailed I doubt that would be permitted. If you wish to dine in your room either order room service or bring some food back from the buffet.

They might allow it....but room service would be much easier! I know they'll wrap dessert for you, if you want. The problem with eating in your cabin is that most cabins don't have a dining table.....it's hard to eat a full meal on a knee-high coffee table or low patio table (if you have a balcony)!

I traveled solo on a mega ship and did not want to be in the MDR with loads of couples and groups of families. I took the trip because of the ports, not the on board experience. I was told before the cruise I could order anything I wanted from the MDR as long as I picked it up. This was confirmed when I went to the MDR upon embarkation by the manager. Once we set sail I was told my only options were taking a tray from the buffet - which was not a great option to carry a heavy and cumbersome tray all the way back to my room - or room service. Note, beverages were not an option from the buffet - it added too much weight to the tray and could have spilled too easily. The ships are huge and the distance from the buffet at the far end of the ship was miles form my room. Room service consisted of vending machine quality food like frozen pizza, tasteless pasta or dry sandwiches. I opted for the buffet and was very disappointed by the quality. It was that of an Old Country Buffet or high school cafeteria. Just awful.

Go to the MDR if you have to and ask for a to go packet. Who cares what your dining mates think. At least you will get decent food.

Better yet, do a river cruise. They have a small dining area with open seating so you can dine wherever you like or you can go to the lounge area and eat or take it to your room - mere steps on these small and intimate ships.

I eat every meal in the dining room on river cruises because of the atmosphere of friendly people towards a solo traveler. But if I wanted, I could have had anything in my room from the main menu. We even took glasses of wine (complimentary) at the end of the meal back to the rooms for a night cap. How civilized is that?? I will never take an ocean cruise again.

I traveled solo on a mega ship and did not want to be in the MDR with loads of couples and groups of families. I took the trip because of the ports, not the on board experience. I was told before the cruise I could order anything I wanted from the MDR as long as I picked it up. This was confirmed when I went to the MDR upon embarkation by the manager. Once we set sail I was told my only options were taking a tray from the buffet - which was not a great option to carry a heavy and cumbersome tray all the way back to my room - or room service. Note, beverages were not an option from the buffet - it added too much weight to the tray and could have spilled too easily. The ships are huge and the distance from the buffet at the far end of the ship was miles form my room. Room service consisted of vending machine quality food like frozen pizza, tasteless pasta or dry sandwiches. I opted for the buffet and was very disappointed by the quality. It was that of an Old Country Buffet or high school cafeteria. Just awful.

Go to the MDR if you have to and ask for a to go packet. Who cares what your dining mates think. At least you will get decent food.

Better yet, do a river cruise. They have a small dining area with open seating so you can dine wherever you like or you can go to the lounge area and eat or take it to your room - mere steps on these small and intimate ships.

I eat every meal in the dining room on river cruises because of the atmosphere of friendly people towards a solo traveler. But if I wanted, I could have had anything in my room from the main menu. We even took glasses of wine (complimentary) at the end of the meal back to the rooms for a night cap. How civilized is that?? I will never take an ocean cruise again.

Thank you Clarine. I appreciate your help

They might allow it....but room service would be much easier! I know they'll wrap dessert for you, if you want. The problem with eating in your cabin is that most cabins don't have a dining table.....it's hard to eat a full meal on a knee-high coffee table or low patio table (if you have a balcony)!

Thank you CB. I really appreciate your help.

I have never sailed Carnival, but based on the lines I have sailed I doubt that would be permitted. If you wish to dine in your room either order room service or bring some food back from the buffet.

Thank you Gonzo, I really appreciate your help.

One time My travel partner wanted to take her dessert from the main dining room to the cabin to eat later. They told her it was not possible due to health regulations.

Now mind you. That is Princess and it may be something new.. Not sure.

I have seen people go up to the buffet and take a snack back to their room.

Best.....

• 4 weeks later...
I was told before the cruise I could order anything I wanted from the MDR as long as I picked it up. This was confirmed when I went to the MDR upon embarkation by the manager. Once we set sail I was told my only options were taking a tray from the buffet

Go to the MDR if you have to and ask for a to go packet.

Your post totally confused me. First 2 sentences you could do exactly as you wanted to. 3rd sentence, you had to go to buffet to get food, 4th sentence, you got what you wanted from the MDR?????? HUH?????

Archived