REVIEW PART THREE - Galaxy Panama Canal - Days 12 & Disembarkation

cujosmom

Panama Canal Review – PART THREE

Celebrity Galaxy 12 Night

Dec 6 – 18, 2004

To view my photos of the ports-of-call and of the ship please go to:

http://community.webshots.com/user/panamacanal2004

Day 12 – Sea Day Boo Hoo – The day dawned overcast and rainy with a cool wind and choppy waters. The weather was a reflection of our mood, too, as we knew this was the last day of a marvelous and fun cruise. We spent the day playing the usual games with the usual contestants and visiting with all the friends we’d made while on board while packing during short spurts of down time. At 12:30 they had the finals for Ship Building Contest. Early in the cruise, the activities staff said there would be a ship building contest. You could build any kind of ship you wanted, plain or elaborate, out of materials found on the ship or on shore. The ships were judged on originality, name, and sea-worthiness. It had to stay afloat for at least 30 seconds in the small pool, then 30 seconds in the larger pool and then 30 seconds in the Jacuzzi. Six full coke cans had to be placed on the ship without sinking it. Because the day was windy and the seas choppy, even the small pool was like the “perfect storm” for some of the “ships”. It was a good contest with 5 entries. The spectators used the beach towels as wraps for warmth instead of lounging on them. Battle of the Sexes, which had been played every afternoon at 4:00, was won by the guys.

Day 13 – Disembarkation Same as every other disembarkation. You have a very early morning breakfast, your assigned time to go through immigration/customs and then sit around and wait until your “color” is called. Being Select Captain Club members, we got to wait in Michael’s Club where there were refreshments available. There were only two other couples waiting there with us. After our color was called, we found ourselves physically leaving the ship but with lots and lots of good memories and many new friends.

I want to say a special hello and thanks for the good times to new friends: Sandy and Del (game teammates and zip-liners), Sam and Jill (table mates and monkey farm participants), Gaylord (Mr. Galaxy) and Rose, Wayne (thanks for being so smart), Ruth, and Dr. John Hall and Carol Ann (the lecturer and our table mates).

I highly recommend this itinerary, ship and cruise line and would do it again in a heartbeat. I give it two thumbs up.

Glad you enjoyed the review -- it was a long one.

John Chancellor, Cruise Director

Neil (from Britain - did battle of the sexes trivia, ship building contest and some of the other games)

Lindsey (from USA - games)

Corrine (from France - arts and crafts and games)

Ian (? - mainly pool games, pentethalon)

cujosmom

Thanks for your excellent review. Loved the pictures of the zip-lining. That brought back some memories of the day (still need to get mine onto CD so that I can post them:rolleyes: ). I also recognised one of the Almonds and Corals guides, David, who looked after us and did his very best to put me at my ease!

Corinne was the So Ho on our cruise. Smashing girl and very pretty too! We did the Captains Table thing too and loved it. What a great bunch of people we had with us that night.

Rick, I hope you have a great cruiseicon14.gif I think you probably will!:)

Phil

We're doing this cruise in January..so was interesting to get you day-by-day review. Have been studying the excursion book, but will be doing most of it on our own. Have booked with Oscar--too old for zip-lining, tho...so glad to read about that.

Thanks for a great review..looking forward to following in your footsteps.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

What a fabulous review! Honestly, this information is better than what I've read in the slick travel magazines. The Travel Channel should hire you to host thier cruise shows. I'm calling our TA this morning to book the Celebrity Panama cruise.

Thank you for your wonderful reviews! Tomorrow I will be booked on the Galaxy 3/06. This is my first Celebrity cruise. Your fantastic reviews gave me more information than I could have imagined.

In your review you mention that you did not hear any noise in your cabin from the deck above. I am debating on an SS either on the Penthouse deck or Sky deck. Do you have any thoughts about either?

Thanks

Thanks everyone -

I am going cruisin'! Just booked a SS on the Galaxy. I did choose the Sky deck only for the larger balcony as I plan to enjoy other's company and refreshments out there...alot!

To Razman: I'm glad you got a nice SS on the Sky Deck.

Like I said in my review, we had an inside on the Penthouse Deck (Deck 10) (Cabin 1137) at the back 1/8 of the ship. Did not hear any noise from above or feel any of the vibrations so many people talk about. Our location was especially nice for an inside cabin, though, as we were just steps from the aft where lounge chairs are all lined up along the back. There were always chairs available and only had to share the aft with just a few other people. My husband and I would say, "Let's go sit out on our 'aft balcony'".:D

Archived