Loved My First Solo Cruise!

Beej29

Thanks to all on this board! I had recently split with my husband and had a fully paid for cruise that I ended up going on solo. I was a little apprehensive and even posted asking whether it would be awkard with anytime dining.

All I can tell you all is that I had a magnificent time. I did what I wanted when I wanted, had the entire cabin to myself, found a few other singles to go to dinner with if I wanted and we always sat with other people and when I wanted to skipped dinner, etc. Excursions were fine also. I did most through the ship, but booked privately in Antigua (Segway tour). Absolutely the best time I ever had. Met a gay couple on one of my excurisons and hung out with them that day as well as a second excursion they ended up on with me. Watched MUTS, movies in the Princess Theater, in my cabin, went to shows (sometimes alone and sometimes with another lady). I was busy whenever I wanted to be. I also had the luxury of going to my cabin in the afternoon for a little nap so I could stay up later in the evening. I went to Crooner's before dinner, which is where I met up with the other single people. There was just so much to do. I had my alone time whenever I wanted that as well. It was just the best time.

I was on the Emerald Princess and wouldn't hesitate to go solo again. Thank you all for your guidance and encouragement prior to my cruise.

Beej29,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Solo cruising/travelling :)

While its fine to travel with others (partners, friends & families) its also great to travel alone. I love doing what I want, when I want.....and the only person I can complain to if I dont enjoy my trip is me!!!

Any person out there reading this post, and the other solo posts, thinking...can I do it, will I be bored, will I be lonely, etc.....take that step out of your comfort zone and do it!!!

You just might suprise yourself and have a trip of a lifetime :)

I took my first solo cruise in 1988 and I haven't looked back. Over the years, I have had friends want to cruise with me and the first things out of my mouth were: (a) you'll have to have your own cabin and (b) don't count on me to do things with you 24/7 because I like to cruise solo and I like my solitude, my freedom and my space. In all of the years I have cruised, only one friend decided that she could live with those conditions but once we got back to our respective homes, she complained bitterly about how she got short-changed by me because I didn't dedicate enough time to her on the cruise.

That was the last time I ever cruised with anyone. I prefer to set foot on a cruise knowing no one and step off of a cruise knowing some new friends. I have even found that at times the Cruise Critic Roll Calls can be a bit of a hassle. Sometimes the Roll Calls can be full of overbearing boorish people especially in their attitudes towards experienced solo travellers. ;)

It is encouraging to read about others' solo cruises. 18 months ago, I went on my first solo cruise just 3 weeks after my husband and I did a Med. cruise. He couldn't get off work, so I went alone on a cruise I just couldn't pass up.

Now, I have two more booked solo this year and although I'll miss him a lot, it's also quite a liberating experience to do it all on your own! Unlike some of the others above, I did get a bit lonely, but I blame that on the ship I was on, the itinerary that had no port stops at all (a TA) and the fact that I ran out of books on my Nook to read (big mistake - learned my lesson).

One thing that really helped me was getting involved in ship activities. I met a lot of very interesting people that way. Also, open dining is another good way to meet people from all walks of life. :)

Leave on my first solo cruise on Saturday ! A bit nervous, but excited. Will post my experience when i return !

You will have a wonderful time. Cruising is the best vacation ever. IMHO. I leave a couple weeks after you on what I call a semi solo cruise with my 8 y/o.

by the way. We live in the same general vacinity. I live near Topsail Island.

Leave on my first solo cruise on Saturday ! A bit nervous, but excited. Will post my experience when i return !

Have fun on your 1st solo cruise. Solo cruising is addictive but in a good way. Went on my 2nd one this past October & looking forward to many more.

Have a GREAT time!

Beej29 so glad to hear you had such a good time. I wish I could have gone off when my 1st walked out. But, my DH I have now knows how much I love cruising and supports me heading out on one when I get the bug.

Heading out on 2/8 for three b2b2b's solo and hope to have a as good a time as you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from my first solo cruise (Carnival Freedom) and had a wonderful time. The experience far exceeded my expectations , and I am certain there will be many more solo trips in my future. I met so many folks, had great dinner table mates, and loved having the cabin to myself. I enjoyed having the option to do what I wanted, when I wanted , and not having to worry about anyone but me. I almost feel selfish saying all that, but honestly, it was such a relaxing feeling. Back to work tomorrow, but already researching my next adventure. Safe travels solo cruisers and enjoy !

Just returned from my first solo cruise (Carnival Freedom) and had a wonderful time. The experience far exceeded my expectations , and I am certain there will be many more solo trips in my future. I met so many folks, had great dinner table mates, and loved having the cabin to myself. I enjoyed having the option to do what I wanted, when I wanted , and not having to worry about anyone but me. I almost feel selfish saying all that, but honestly, it was such a relaxing feeling. Back to work tomorrow, but already researching my next adventure. Safe travels solo cruisers and enjoy !

Hi, glad you had such a good time and it is not selfish at all:)

You paid for your own trip, right? Well, it is for you to do whatever

you want, whenever you want:D

I love reading how you all love solo cruising. I am a widow of 2 years in my 50's and would really like to attempt a solo cruise. My DH and I loved cruising and he would want me to continue to enjoy it, I know he would. I really (at this point) don't want to go with the purpose of meeting other solo travellers, but to have my own time to relax or do whatever I choose. By what I've read on this thread, it sounds like any cruise line would work well for that. Any suggestions?

I love reading how you all love solo cruising. I am a widow of 2 years in my 50's and would really like to attempt a solo cruise. My DH and I loved cruising and he would want me to continue to enjoy it, I know he would. I really (at this point) don't want to go with the purpose of meeting other solo travellers, but to have my own time to relax or do whatever I choose. By what I've read on this thread, it sounds like any cruise line would work well for that. Any suggestions?

Hi Sandisue:) I actually do not cruise with the purpose of

"meeting other solo travelers" and never have.....having my own

time to do whatever I want, whenever I want, or don't want;)

you have it correctly:D. I have been sailing solo since 2003 and

it is wonderful.

I cruise with Celebrity and love the product they provide me:)

There are many lines out there and they all sail full. Celebrity,

Royal, HAL, Princess, Carnival,.......there is a line out there for

each one of us and each one of us has our preferences.

Hope you decide to give it a try and that you have a a wonderful

time:)

I took back to back cruises a few years ago and loved it! It was a TA/ Baltic cruise wwith a few days in London. I liked NCL freestyle so I could either eat alone or not. I was always greeted at any tables and met a lot of people who were pretty impressed by my "bravery". I'm a widow and my kids couldn't be gone that long so what was I to do ? I don't regret it and would love to take another alone. I could read or do what ever I wanted without chicking with anyone. Great!

My first cruise was a solo one, but on my first night I ran into someone I knew and for the rest of the trip I had a cruise partner, even tho we were in different cabins. I didn't think I would have had a good time had I not found her and her group of friends to do things with, like have dinner.

My third cruise was solo again. I was dreading it before, thinking back to my first one, but I just couldn't find any friends to go with me. Turns out I had the time of my life. I met so many other great people. I did so by attending one of the Friends of Dorothy meetings. I knew this would be a chance to meet fun and younger-minded folks. Was I right. Even the lady celebrating her 100th birthday was super fun to have dinner with.

My next cruise is with a friend of mine, but I've already told her not to expect to be hanging out with me all day. Solo cruising is the BEST! Sure it's great to know others, but if you're open to meeting people, you should have others by the end of the first day!

Enjoy!

Thanks to all on this board! I had recently split with my husband and had a fully paid for cruise that I ended up going on solo. I was a little apprehensive and even posted asking whether it would be awkard with anytime dining.

All I can tell you all is that I had a magnificent time. I did what I wanted when I wanted, had the entire cabin to myself, found a few other singles to go to dinner with if I wanted and we always sat with other people and when I wanted to skipped dinner, etc. Excursions were fine also. I did most through the ship, but booked privately in Antigua (Segway tour). Absolutely the best time I ever had. Met a gay couple on one of my excurisons and hung out with them that day as well as a second excursion they ended up on with me. Watched MUTS, movies in the Princess Theater, in my cabin, went to shows (sometimes alone and sometimes with another lady). I was busy whenever I wanted to be. I also had the luxury of going to my cabin in the afternoon for a little nap so I could stay up later in the evening. I went to Crooner's before dinner, which is where I met up with the other single people. There was just so much to do. I had my alone time whenever I wanted that as well. It was just the best time.

I was on the Emerald Princess and wouldn't hesitate to go solo again. Thank you all for your guidance and encouragement prior to my cruise.

I am going on my first solo next Feb and can't wait. Glad to hear you had a great time. I'm sure I'll be writing the same in about a year!!

I'm going on my 1st cruise in 21 days and I'm going SOLO as well! I did feel a bit guilty at first, leaving my 8yo son behind, but I reminded him that we're a "Disney Team" and we had just returned from our last trip in December, so this was mom's time alone :)

SO EXCITED I COULD PUKE! Probably not appropriate for a 35yo to say out loud, but oh well!

I just read your posting, and since this is my first solo cruise, I am very nervous, but, reading all this has really eased my concern, so can hardly wait for june to come around. I'm going on the Emerald Princess also, so it was nice hearing your comments.

I know slightly a BJ from British Columbia....I wonder......?:)

I'm taking my second solo cruise this October so I'm very glad to read your posts. Does my first count - it was a singles group?

And I'm a little concerned about spending so much time alone but I'm pretty excited about the itinerary too. It's 2 back to back Australia/New Zealand.

So if anyone has some advice, it's much appreciated.

My DH died far too early (age 57), and for a couple of years I didn't travel. Then I discovered that friends we'd made at a Caribbean resort years earlier were going on a Caribbean cruise, and since I can't seem to hang up my fins, I asked if they would mind if I joined them. They didn't, but I also made it clear that I knew it would be quite different from a previous cruise when all four of us dined together every night -- on this trip we dined together four times out of nine nights, and attended a few lectures together, and she and I snorkeled together on one shore excursion. We also kept in touch via the phone.

HAL's Noordam was, for the three of us, too big (even though it's only "mid-size"), and to be honest some things worked, and some didn't. I spent more time than I would have wished crying in my cabin. The solo "meet and greets" in the bar never seemed to involve anyone solo but me. On the other hand, I joined a trivia team, and found friends that way. I also met people on the shore excursions who were very nice.

Last year I opted for a Silversea cruise, and I'd recommend that cruise line to anyone like me. The other guests were very friendly, the mix is a more international one, with perhaps about 40% American, another 40% English and the rest a mix of Canadians and Europeans. My trivia team formed early and remained -- excepting for a few days when one couple or a solo had a shore excursion that precluded it. I'd recommend Silversea highly to solo travelers -- I'm departing on another Caribbean adventure with them next week and I know l'll have a good time! As another CC'er said, you really have to put yourself out there, and initiate conversations, if others don't. Most people are only too glad to be friendly and helpful.

Also, in the case of Silversea, if you're a solo woman look for cruises that feature gentemen hosts. If you're a widow, like me, you may find yourself dancing more than you ever did with your husband, and these men are true gentlemen. Just bear in mind that they are not "up for grabs!"

Like the others on this thread, I am glad to read such positive feedback on solo cruising. I love cruising and refuse to let a silly thing like divorce stop me from doing it. I am not very outgoing, but cruise ships are the only place I know of where it is incredibly easy to meet people if you want to, but just as easy to be left alone and relax.

Really looking forward to my first solo on Explorer of the Seas in a little more than two months!

Archived