Why wasn't the OPT used today?

We are hoping that Oosterdam leaves from OPT on our March cruise. Manifest indicates OPT but seems a lot of departures are being put back to Barangaroo. Going under the Bridge is a novelty but I agree with timtam2, just not the same as OPT.

There was 2 cruise ships in Sydney today, the Oosterdam and Pacific Pearl, and they didn't use the OPT. Is the OPT used for Australia Day events?

We're a little less than a year away from departing on Celebrity Solstice from Sydney Harbor on Jan. 20-21, 2014. Am I understanding correctly that this size/height of ship cannot sail under the Harbour Bridge and needs to be docked at the OPT? According to a Herald-Sun article: "At 63 metres in height, the Celebrity Solstice is too big to fit under the Sydney Harbour Bridge so will berth at the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay, not the the new terminal at White Bay."

Added reactions and info?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,717 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Fortunately, Solstice IS too big to fit under the Bridge so she will always be at the OPT (or possibly Garden Island , but hopefully this would never be necessary) OPT has a terminal with a viewing deck (internal arrangements leave a lot to be desired though), close to public transport; hotels, shops, restaurants.Barangaroo has none of those and White Bay has absolutely NOTHING

My friends who are on the Oosterdam now were quite annoyed about the change in berth...they particularly picked their cabin etc. so that they would have a great view...

Sue

I don't blame them for being upset. I still think it is about cost cutting. HAL proved on our cruise that they could sail the Oosterdam under the bridge, and I reckon they will move more of their cruises from the OPT.

If they OPT was not to be used on Australia Day this information would have been known long ago. Instead the passengers only found out a few weeks ago. I also read that passengers had stayed at hotels near the OPT, so as to be close.

We are hoping that Oosterdam leaves from OPT on our March cruise. Manifest indicates OPT but seems a lot of departures are being put back to Barangaroo. Going under the Bridge is a novelty but I agree with timtam2, just not the same as OPT.
If it does get moved, the new terminal at White Bay should be open and in use by March.

If it is the 3 March cruise ( which i am on) I rang HAL who told me it was going from Barrangaroo. This is also what came up when you do the online check in.

Sydny ports is different and HAL told me to ignore this. Am going to ring closer to the day.:confused:

Was told a few years ago on a P & O cruise they used wharf 8 then because it was cheaper and this was when the OPT was empty for a good part of the time.

Doesn't worry me where we leave from as long as we go:D

From P&O's Facebook

"As you’ve seen in extensive media coverage, severe weather conditions have caused widespread disruption in Queensland. This weather system has now become a tropical low depression which will move down the east coast over the next 48 hours.

Port operations in Sydney will be affected tomorrow and Tuesday with expected strong winds and heavy swell off the coast. As you know, the safety and comfort of passengers and crew is always our top priority. We are having to make changes to the operation of Pacific Jewel and Pacific Pearl to avoid the bad weather.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by these unavoidable changes and we are now communicating them to passengers who are affected.

Pacific Jewel -- Pacific Jewel’s arrival in Sydney will be delayed 24 hours to Wednesday January 30. Passengers due to depart on Pacific Jewel’s next cruise, J304, are being advised directly of a 24-hour delay to the start of the cruise.

Pacific Pearl -- Pacific Pearl will return to Sydney tonight instead of tomorrow morning and will arrive at the Overseas Passenger Terminal instead of Wharf 5 Barangaroo. Passengers for her P305 cruise to New Zealand will embark tomorrow as planned.

However, Pacific Pearl’s departure from Sydney will be delayed until conditions improve (with a provisional departure of noon Tuesday)."

Looks like Sydney Ports had to play musical chairs.

If you are seeing someone off on a cruise, I agree OPT is better. BUT......as a passenger, give me Barangaroo any day:)

If you are seeing someone off on a cruise, I agree OPT is better. BUT......as a passenger, give me Barangaroo any day:)

As a passenger, I prefer OPT. Much more convenient and the facilities have been fine every time I've been, and equal to Barangaroo.

Fortunately, Solstice IS too big to fit under the Bridge so she will always be at the OPT (or possibly Garden Island , but hopefully this would never be necessary) OPT has a terminal with a viewing deck (internal arrangements leave a lot to be desired though), close to public transport; hotels, shops, restaurants. Barangaroo has none of those and White Bay has absolutely NOTHING

Great, added info and background from our Sydney friend. Very helpful. Less than a year now until we are down under and enjoying this unique land and adventure. Good, interesting info on this thread from people in the know. Keep it flowing!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,886 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As a passenger, I prefer OPT. Much more convenient and the facilities have been fine every time I've been, and equal to Barangaroo.

I prefer Barangaroo for 2 reasons. 1) I just NEVER tire of sailing under The Bridge:) and 2) in my experiences, it's always been so much more organised than OPT.

If you are going in by public transport.....yes, OPT is much more convenient.

We sailed into Sydney Harbour at sunrise on the Solstice 2 weeks ago. It was the most amazing part of an incredible trip from Auckland. To see the sun rising as we made our way into the harbour, past the bridge and to have a view from our cabin (we chose the right side, as she backed in) overlooking the Opera House and Circular Quay was just magical. On top of that we got to stay on the ship for a day and a night whilst docked, giving us the best hotel position in Sydney.

If you are choosing a cruise for next year and Solstice (or other ships) offering similar, I would definitely choose to sail into Sydney Harbour rather than out of it.

Archived