Sky info please

Hi, I've only cruised with NCL once and it was years ago on the Sun. I am planning on booking a girls only cruise on the Sky for the end of August. Does anyone have any info about this ship?

I read that you can bring as many bottles of wine and champagne that you want. Are you allowed to bring your own opener?

I mainly cruise with Carnival and like I said I haven't cruised with NCL for years so I have no idea what to expect. Any help would be appreciated:)

Thanks I went back 8 pages and hadn't seen anything so I got tired of looking lol. I'll check the ones above.

Thanks I went back 8 pages and hadn't seen anything so I got tired of looking lol. I'll check the ones above.

Just type "sky review" or just "sky" into the search field and you'll get tons of threads about the ship

If you've been on the Sun, the Sky should seem very familiar - they are sister ships. We had a great time on the Sky last March. There's a review in my signature of that trip, but photos are not currently working.

Yes, all the wine you want. NCL charges $15 corkage on each bottle, so you can bring as many bottles as you're willing to pay for. I think you can bring your own opener but put it in checked luggage to be on the safe side.

If you've been on the Sun, the Sky should seem very familiar - they are sister ships. We had a great time on the Sky last March. There's a review in my signature of that trip, but photos are not currently working.

Yes, all the wine you want. NCL charges $15 corkage on each bottle, so you can bring as many bottles as you're willing to pay for. I think you can bring your own opener but put it in checked luggage to be on the safe side.

Thanks I'm going to check our your review. I read an old thread about I guess plumbing and ac problems back in 2008 have these all been resolved?

Thanks I'm going to check our your review. I read an old thread about I guess plumbing and ac problems back in 2008 have these all been resolved?

I didn't experience any of those issues and don't remember any recent reviews mentioning them. The Sky generally gets pretty positive feedback. That said, the Sky is one of the oldest ships in NCL's fleet - though she is the youngest of all the ships that do these short Bahamas cruises - and space can be tight in the cabins. Go in with realistic expectations and all will (hopefully) be well :)

Our first cruise was on the Sky in May. We had a great time and the crew was awesome. We were only off the ship a week before we called are PCC and booked her again for this December. I don't think you will be disappointed.

GoFigyaWhy

We sailed the Sky back in 2008 (when it first moved to Miami) and we didn't have any problems on the ship then. We had a good trip. We're going back on her in October in fact.

I didn't experience any of those issues and don't remember any recent reviews mentioning them. The Sky generally gets pretty positive feedback. That said, the Sky is one of the oldest ships in NCL's fleet - though she is the youngest of all the ships that do these short Bahamas cruises - and space can be tight in the cabins. Go in with realistic expectations and all will (hopefully) be well :)

The recent reviews I've read souded like it's a great trip for a fun time so it should be perfect for us girls. I know what to expect with an older ship and have warned one of my picky gf's that's never cruised before lol. I like the smaller ships it makes it easier to find our way around. Luckily we'll only be 2 per room I did this since I know the rooms are smaller on ncl than Carnival. I don't plan on being in there much anyways:)

I sailed the Sky when she was the Pride of Aloha. We sailed her on her "maiden" voyage from San Francisco to Hawaii in 2004. (ok, so not her maiden voyage as the Sky, but her maiden voyage after her refit/upgrade in 2004 and renaming her as the POA.) We were on her for 12 days on that cruise and the ship is nice. Smaller than some of the other NCL ships like the Star and Dawn, but her smaller size is perfect for those short cruises.

As others have mentioned, she is the sister ship to the Sun, so if you liked the layout of the Sun....then it is almost exactly the same. We had a deck 10 balcony on the Pride of Aloha/Sky and it was fine. I would say about the same size as some of the balcony cabins on the Star & Dawn.

Have a great time.

I love SKY had a great cruise this past November.

Here is link to my review.

Link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1521240&highlight=sirdavid

Great review! Glad to see you and your daughter had a great time. I tried to see the scans of the mdr menus on the picasso link you had but I couldn't find them.

We're planning a family reunion on the Sky in September. One of my relatives mentioned a concern about hurricane season starting in September. Should we be concerned about being in the Caribbean that time of year? I have to admit I don't share her concern but I needed to ask the experts. Thanks for your help!

We're planning a family reunion on the Sky in September. One of my relatives mentioned a concern about hurricane season starting in September. Should we be concerned about being in the Caribbean that time of year? I have to admit I don't share her concern but I needed to ask the experts. Thanks for your help!

I live in Florida and normally don't cruise late Aug and Sept but this time I did it and we'll see what happens lol. If there is a hurricaine the Captain will just go a different way. They won't endanger the people and risk damage to the ship. We've had a lot of storm already early in the hurricane season so you just never know. Just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best that's my plan. Hope we both have a great time:D

The best thing is jsut to be aware that it is hurricane season and be prepared to go with whatever the captain decides to do. Obivously safety is the msot important thing. So I advise folks jsut to be prepared that you might not get to your favorite port or whatever. If you are flexible, you will be fine. Obiovusly, who wants to go to a port if it isn't safe.

By the way, we absolutely loved the SKY and oddly--it was one of my favorite cruises--which actually surprised me. I thoguht since it was just four days that it might be somehow "less" than the other cruises. I LOVE the size of the ship. While not the newest, it is kept up very well! And the crew is great. Mostly I was surprised at how good the food was.

We sailed the Sky during on September 12, 2011 -- one of the peak weeks of hurricane season. Smoothest cruise I've been on to date! The seas were like glass the entire sailing. Must have lucked out, as the sailing a week or two before ours was re-routed due to a hurricane or tropical storm (can't recall which). Just go with the flow and all should be well. :-)

The Sky itself was a well-maintained ship with a friendly crew. Easy to navigate! Rooms were smaller than on RCCL and Carnival, but with being in ports each day, we weren't in ours much! That cruise got my family hooked on NCL.

Have a great time!

Archived