Dominica in 2014??

Anyone heard rumors about whether Dominica will be added back to the southern Caribbean itineraries? I understand that RCCL is appeasing European travelers by providing a French-owned departure port with Guadaloupe, but in 2013 they eliminated Dominica from BOTH their southern Caribbean ships' itineraries. I'd jump to Celebrity, but they won't take my RCCL Visa points!!

I understand that RCCL is appeasing European travelers by providing a French-owned departure port with Guadaloupe,

:confused: How is this appeasing European travellers?? As a European traveller I'm not sure what you mean.

We also loved Dominica and would really like to visit again - such nice people.

:confused: How is this appeasing European travellers?? As a European traveller I'm not sure what you mean.

We also loved Dominica and would really like to visit again - such nice people.

I could be mistaken, but I believe Guadeloupe was added to both legs of the Brilliance itinerary to make boarding easier for Europeans because the island is French owned. Currency is Euros, language is French, I assumed clearing customs was less complicated?

I could be mistaken, but I believe Guadeloupe was added to both legs of the Brilliance itinerary to make boarding easier for Europeans because the island is French owned. Currency is Euros, language is French, I assumed clearing customs was less complicated?

Ah, now I understand. I didn't realise it boarded in Guadeloupe. Possibly trying to encourage French passengers as they probably have flights directly there.

Thank you :)

Ah, now I understand. I didn't realise it boarded in Guadeloupe. Possibly trying to encourage French passengers as they probably have flights directly there.

Thank you :)

The Brilliance itinerary allows boarding in either San Juan or Guadeloupe.

The fact that the Celebrity Summit goes to Dominica and Grenada was one of the major factors in my booking Celebrity for my southern caribbean cruise. And the Summit looks almost brand new now that it's been "Solsticized."

The fact that the Celebrity Summit goes to Dominica and Grenada was one of the major factors in my booking Celebrity for my southern caribbean cruise. And the Summit looks almost brand new now that it's been "Solsticized."

I'm MORE than tempted, believe me!!! The problem for me is that - due to economic factors - I've had to abstain from cruising in 2012 and 2013!! (Yes, it's very painful...trust me!!!) While accumulating more slowly (also due to economic factors), I am compiling a lot of RCL Visa points and should be able to discount a 2014 cruise by $500 or $600 using points. The points don't work on Celebrity, so that's a HUGE price difference.

I'm really HOPING I can find what I'm looking for on a 2014 RCL itinerary. I should know next week, if the deployment schedules are remotely accurate!

Thanks!!

I'm really HOPING I can find what I'm looking for on a 2014 RCL itinerary. I should know next week, if the deployment schedules are remotely accurate!

Thanks!!

Deployment schedule release has CHANGED! Now we won't know until next MONTH! Grrrr...

When one of our Jewel repositioning cruises included a stop in Dominica, a couple stood up at the evening cocktail reception and told everyone not to get off the ship because it was a "horrible" port. Fortunately we ignored their comments, got off the ship and took a wonderful tour and encountered several very wonderful residents. Good to see that others share our view of Dominica.

We sailed Summit several years ago specifically because Dominica was on the itinerary (along with Bonaire) and Royal wasn't going to either destination yet. It quickly became one of our favorite ports, and we've been back twice more on Serenade. I'm really hoping Vision repeats her 2013 itineraries in 2014, as we are already booked for 2013 and are hoping to do Vision to Dominica in '14.

I'd prefer to get there via San Juan than via Fort Lauderdale (picky, aren't I?), because I prefer more port-intensive cruises. Trying to do the southern Caribbean from Florida means too many sea days, not enough port days for my taste. I'm looking ahead to the winter of 2013/2014, hoping for some itineraries more like Summit (or the 2012 Serenade!).

I'd prefer to get there via San Juan than via Fort Lauderdale (picky, aren't I?), because I prefer more port-intensive cruises. Trying to do the southern Caribbean from Florida means too many sea days, not enough port days for my taste. I'm looking ahead to the winter of 2013/2014, hoping for some itineraries more like Summit (or the 2012 Serenade!).

We much prefer the port intensive itineraries, too, which is one of the reasons we've nearly always sailed from San Juan, and we're doing our first Voyager-class cruise on Adventure out of San Juan in January 2013. However, that Vision itinerary, with the addition of St. Vincent and the opportunity to go back to Bonaire looked so good that we decided we'll put up with the sea days if they do it in 2014.

We much prefer the port intensive itineraries, too, which is one of the reasons we've nearly always sailed from San Juan, and we're doing our first Voyager-class cruise on Adventure out of San Juan in January 2013. However, that Vision itinerary, with the addition of St. Vincent and the opportunity to go back to Bonaire looked so good that we decided we'll put up with the sea days if they do it in 2014.

Let's hope RCCL posts BOTH our dream itineraries for 2013/2014.

We are on the Vision out of Ft. Lauderdale next Feb. It has six ports in a row on the books (including Dominica), so it is a port intensive cruise. There are just sea days prior to and after the port intensive part.

I am thinking about booking another Celebrity cruise (booked Celebrity for Alaska to sail Solstice) for Spring 2014 - for this very reason, since I don't have an RCL cruise to compare it to.

One is Summit out of San Juan and the other is Equinox out of Fort Lauderdale. Love both sailings, plus the OBC that Celebrity is offering is great. (If you are a Platinum or above C&A Member, make sure you open your Celebrity account before booking.)

I wish RCL would give us more 10 day cruises out of FLL / MIA so we don't have to fly to San Juan using Voyager or Radiance class ships. (That would be "compreable" to Solstice Class.) If Celebrity can do it, RCL should be able to.

We are on the Vision out of Ft. Lauderdale next Feb. It has six ports in a row on the books (including Dominica), so it is a port intensive cruise. There are just sea days prior to and after the port intensive part.

I like this cruise, great itinerary. A couple of sea days at the start to help you "unwind" into vacation mindset, intensive port grouping, followed by sea days to help you further relax from the sightseeing. I wish they would use a Radiance Class (or even Voyager Class) ship though.

Hopefully, they will carry it into 2014 - might consider it so I can stay with RCL.

Archived