How to get to "Blue Lagoon Island" from Nassau

booboo1964

My wife and I visited Nassau about 13 years ago on a cruise and we went on an excursion to "Blue Lagoon Island" where they said Gilligans Island had been filmed. I didn't care what had been filmed there, but now my wife and I are going back to Nassau in January and she wants to go back to this island. I have found several trips concerning swiming with the dolphins on Blue Lagoon Island, but I just want to find a hammock and a cool drink. Does anyone know who books trips to this island or should we just walk to the marina and check to see if we can find one. Thanks for all the information you guys post on these boards.

We were at Blue Lagoon in 2001 and have always wanted to return as well.

I've heard two stories about the island. One being it has become private, and two, it was damaged during hurricane season and never reopened. Blue Lagoon was by far the best place to visit while in Nassau and we continue to hope it reopens.

We were at Blue Lagoon in 2001 and have always wanted to return as well.

I've heard two stories about the island. One being it has become private, and two, it was damaged during hurricane season and never reopened. Blue Lagoon was by far the best place to visit while in Nassau and we continue to hope it reopens.

Both are correct. The island is privately owned and was ravaged by the hurricanes a few years back.

It's currently the home of the DOLPHIN ENCOUNTERS and the SEA LION ENCOUNTERS as well.

The Blue Lagoon Beach is open to the public once again.

Those participation in a wildlife program (dolphin or Sea lion) have free access to the beach.

Those who want to use the beach only, can buy a pass thru the dolphin encounter (www.dolphinencounters.com) as well.

Passes are $45 for adults $35 for kids and include the ferry ride to and from the island as well as lunch and use of the tubes/noodles.

There's chaises, hammocks, sports hut, souveniers, restrooms and changeing rooms as well as a fully stocked bar.

They are open every day except Sunday and Thursday, but this may change.

You can even wander over to watch the dolphin encounter or sea lions.

Here's some pics from our recent trip.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/569019735ZTMpfa

Scubagirrl,

Could you tell me more about the Sea Lion encounter? I am thinking about that when I visit Nassau in February with my husband. What was it like? Would you recommend it? Also, did the people there take those photos, and were they expensive to buy?

TIA

Scubagirrl,

Could you tell me more about the Sea Lion encounter? I am thinking about that when I visit Nassau in February with my husband. What was it like? Would you recommend it? Also, did the people there take those photos, and were they expensive to buy?

TIA

We had a wonderful time. The staff is wonderful and the sea lions each have their own personality. You get to Hug, feed, pet, kiss and snuggle with one or more of the sea lions. The one that we had took a liking to my boyfriend and would nudge him gently whenever she was not performing, trying to knock him over as he was kneeling in the water.. It was a hoot.

The images in the water were done by staff (but someone could get pretty good pictures from the standing area nearby). The beach pics are, of course, our personal pics. I really don't have any idea what the prices are for pictures. We didn't pay for them.

My boyfriend and I were just reviewing the images and video that we got this evening.. he said it was the highlight of his year. I've never seen him grin so much in all our years together.

If you are considering doing one of the programs, go out on the earliest ferry that you can and spend some time on the beach.. It's gorgeous. One of the last bit of the "real bahamas" left in the area.

Just wondering... why do you wear wet suits? Was it cold, or are they required for some sort of nature precaution?

Also, how is the water in March? What age kids get to do the sea lions? We did the dolphins last year and my 8 yo dd loved it! As we did!!

Just wondering... why do you wear wet suits? Was it cold, or are they required for some sort of nature precaution?

Also, how is the water in March? What age kids get to do the sea lions? We did the dolphins last year and my 8 yo dd loved it! As we did!!

They asked us if we wanted to wear them.. It was a bit windy, so we opted for them.

In march the water is warming up. You may want wetsuits, it will depend on the weather in the coming months.

I don't know about ages. I would suspect it's the same as the dolphin encounter. If it's not on the website, just email them for details.

I think you're 8 year old will have a blast.

My wife and I visited Nassau about 13 years ago on a cruise and we went on an excursion to "Blue Lagoon Island" where they said Gilligans Island had been filmed. I didn't care what had been filmed there, but now my wife and I are going back to Nassau in January and she wants to go back to this island. I have found several trips concerning swiming with the dolphins on Blue Lagoon Island, but I just want to find a hammock and a cool drink. Does anyone know who books trips to this island or should we just walk to the marina and check to see if we can find one. Thanks for all the information you guys post on these boards.

I contacted Blue Lagoon and they said they sell the day passes for $45 per adult, $35 per child. You can take taxi or water ferry to their outpost and then they take you over to the island. The details are on their website, it includes lunch. You can prepurchase or pay at their outpost window on the day of. When are u going? We are going to give it a try Jan 21. Whoever gets back first please report back in :)

I contacted Blue Lagoon and they said they sell the day passes for $45 per adult, $35 per child. You can take taxi or water ferry to their outpost and then they take you over to the island. The details are on their website, it includes lunch. You can prepurchase or pay at their outpost window on the day of. When are u going? We are going to give it a try Jan 21. Whoever gets back first please report back in :)

We will be in Nassau April 12 (Sunday) and would be interested to hear back from you if you do the beach day.

• 3 months later...

What kind of drinks do they have on the beach & are they expensive? We are going to do the sea lion encounter, about how long is it? I'm trying to decide if we should book the 8:30 or 10:30, because we would like to spend time on the beach, but aren't really morning people & would like to grab some breakfast before we leave.

Archived