Banff Accommodation

We need 2 nights accommodation in Banff from 08August. I nearly had a stroke when I saw the prices being asked for hotel accommodation. I have stayed at Banff Park Lodge a few years ago in winter for a very reasonable rate. I checked their website, and the best I can get is about CAD275 per night plus tax! Now I thought it was a nice hotel back then, but I can't remember it being that nice!!

Anyone have any ideas, tips, tricks, or secret deals that they care to divulge in finding reasonable priced accommodation for these dates? Or do I have to suck it up and fork out the dollars? (I have been trying Priceline without success, and I'm worried I'm going to get a place I'm going to regret!)

Thanks and regards,

Michael

I've stayed in Banff many times over the years (used to live in Calgary) and although I did book some reasonable rates on-line (for lesser quality hotels), I found it ultimately more cost effective to call the hotels directly to ask about better rates. Once I knew I was going to "bite the bullet", as Banff is certainly pushing $$ upwards, I would end up at the Rimrock Resort. I was always able to get a better rate than published on their site and usually get something extra (breakfast or a daily meal voucher). If I'm paying top dollar, I will want a view and some nice surroundings and the Rimrock has never disappointed me.

All the best,

Mike

PG 2001, 2004

Trust me - as one who usually spends several nights in Banff each year early August you won't find much for under $150.00 a night - even the lower priced YWCA charges around $100.00 a night for a spartan room with just a bed and bath.

Cheers

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would bump this back up to see what people think with these 2 options I have found for my dates in August.

I can prepay through several online sites the Tunnel Mountain Resort in an executive room for USD144.00 per night. It's cancellable, but with a $25 fee.

I can get the Charlton's Cedar Court in a 2 queen bedded room for CAD166.00 per night.

Has anyone had any experiences with these properties?

The Cedar court is rated higher on Tripadvisor, but to me, the Tunnel Mountain Resort looks nicer from their website, and is cheaper!

We have a car, so distance is to town is not significant.

Thanks for your opinions!

Michael

Tunnel Mtn Resort is more "off the beaten path" so quieter, but access to the main part of Banff is not as convenient.

Charlton Cedar Court is on Banff Ave, so noisier, but easy access to the main part of Banff.

Both properties are about similar age. If you want a more romantic setting, I'd go with Tunnel Mtn. If convenience is key, Charlton.

Either is fine, safe and clean and maintained.

Hi CowPrincess!

Thanks for that helpful post. It really helped with our decision. I've gone with Tunnel Mountain. It sounds ideal for us, and at a pretty good price.

Regards,

Michael

I think you made a good choice. I just looked at our reservations in August and we paid 261.56 a night at the Banff Rocky Mountain resort.

However, it is a two bedroom suite with kitchen. I sure hope the Banff Rocky Mountain Resort is nice! We will have a rental car, so I think it is a bit out of town, but that is ok.

Banff RM Resort is on the outskirts, as you approach Banff. It appears to be a nice property, but I've never stayed there. It is newer than the other 2 that were being discussed. The main road that goes by it is one of the 2 main accesses to Banff... you'll be glad you have a car, as I wouldn't want to walk that road -- too much traffic for my taste. But the property is back from the road, so I don't think traffic noise will be a problem.

Archived