Viking Skadi Photos Now Uploaded

janmcn

I just loaded a bunch of photos I took of the Viking Skadi, one of the new "longboats" from Viking. The photos were taken the end of Sept-early Oct. on our trip from Budapest to Amsterdam.

http://quiltingjan.smugmug.com/Viking-Skadi-River-Boat-2013

The interiors were shot on a day that the ship traveled from Bamburg through a few locks and then picked the passengers up from their excursion. I had a bad cold, so chose not to go. While getting some tea, I realized it would be a good time to photo the ship…so most of the shots were done then.

The Breakfast items were just from the buffet, but you could also have wonderful omelets, pancakes, waffles, etc. that you ordered from your server. (There were also items available in the Aquavit Lounge…more like a Continental Breakfast, but it was available earlier.)

I hope this gives folks a good chance to see what the interiors of these ships are like…as well as a few photos while we were sailing.

Enjoy!

Loved your photos! Wish CC would put a special section up for members to post just these kinds of photos so everyone had the opportunity to see what different river boats look like.... For instance the difference between this ship and Uniworld are like they exist on different planets!

Very interesting, thanks you!

Great pictures Chris. Thank you so much for posting.

One of the main reasons I was drawn to Viking for our upcoming cruise was the light and airy feeling on the Longships. You did a wonderful job in capturing that.

Our ship will be the Idun and I imagine it is similar in appearance and décor. We will also have a French balcony room so that picture was particularly appreciated.

Did you happen to take any photos of dinner plates? Others have posted photos from other cruise lines and they looked terrific. Was wondering if Viking dinners looked similar.

Thanks for taking the time to post the photo's. They were outstanding. I agree with Nana that it would be nice if CC had a special section for river cruising where photo albums such as this one could be displayed. All the lines have their distinct decor and it is so much better to see the real thing as opposed to the professional photo's in the brochures.

Yes, I agree about being able to post similar photos of other ships. It would be nice to see what the differences were. Yes, we liked the decor of this ship and I think the rest of the new longships should be that way. Very sleek, but warm feeling.

No, sorry, no photos of dinner…it would have been nice, but alas, you weren't along to prod me! Next time…The food was lovely and well-presented…that's all I can say.

The rest of the trip photos can be seen on the smugmug site (in my signature) but they have been changing their site…if you go to my site, go to the Photo Albums (upper right) and choose the "Travel" photos and they are presented by year…2013 will take you to the Budapest-A'dam cruise.

Thanks for the comments…I only did it since it was difficult to find photos of these new ships, so thought others might be curious too. We loved Viking.

JiminyC…which ship? I hope you plan to spend a few days in Budapest…loved it. We did the Optional Tour to Rothenburg which I highly recommend.

Just make sure to have good walking shoes! You'll be on cobblestones the whole way! My husband's plantar fasciitis became a problem towards the end…he had had it under control before…but those cobblestones!

Just enjoy it…we certainly did…but were tired by the end! Glad to have 3 days in Amsterdam to recuperate!

JiminyC…which ship? I hope you plan to spend a few days in Budapest…loved it. We did the Optional Tour to Rothenburg which I highly recommend.

Just make sure to have good walking shoes! You'll be on cobblestones the whole way! My husband's plantar fasciitis became a problem towards the end…he had had it under control before…but those cobblestones!

Just enjoy it…we certainly did…but were tired by the end! Glad to have 3 days in Amsterdam to recuperate!

We are going on the Magni. We only added on in Amsterdam. Not sorry for that decision yet but sorry we didn't add on Budapest. I have heard so many good things. My husband is Dutch and that is why we added on that end.

Thanks for the tip about the shoes. I had plantar fasciitis and ended up with surgery on both feet so that is a major concern to me. Just today I went out and bought some sturdy Keene hiking boots. I have to be so picky with brands of shoes and Keene seems to work good with or without my prescribed orthotics. Hope your hubby has recovered. It's not fun!!

I will have to go see what the optional tour is for Rothenburg. I am thinking to add on the opt tour in Nueremburg. Did you or anyone you talked to go on it?

JiminyC: Yes, I use Keene hiking boots too…used them on this cruise every day. My husband had his hiking boots too, but the plantar fasciitis still got bad.

The Optional Tour to Rothenburg was excellent, but the optional one in Nuremburg we heard different comments about…it was disappointing to most. We got to see almost as much as they did, so personally I wouldn't bother taking that optional excursion. We DID do the optional night in Vienna that was very good…a short (hour?) experience in what was probably the ballroom of a "nobleman's palace" in Vienna…9-person orchestra that was excellent, along with a couple of singers and dancers. Mozart and Strauss. About 300 people in the room…it was just done for the tourists…not like a night at the opera. Very nice.

We parked by the Magni in one port…our CD mentioned it was about its 2nd trip.

I just loaded a bunch of photos I took of the Viking Skadi, one of the new "longboats" from Viking. The photos were taken the end of Sept-early Oct. on our trip from Budapest to Amsterdam.

http://quiltingjan.smugmug.com/Viking-Skadi-River-Boat-2013

The interiors were shot on a day that the ship traveled from Bamburg through a few locks and then picked the passengers up from their excursion. I had a bad cold, so chose not to go. While getting some tea, I realized it would be a good time to photo the ship…so most of the shots were done then.

The Breakfast items were just from the buffet, but you could also have wonderful omelets, pancakes, waffles, etc. that you ordered from your server. (There were also items available in the Aquavit Lounge…more like a Continental Breakfast, but it was available earlier.)

I hope this gives folks a good chance to see what the interiors of these ships are like…as well as a few photos while we were sailing.

Enjoy!

Due to my smugmug account being changed the photos of the Viking Skadi can be found here

http://quiltingjan.smugmug.com/Travel/2013/Viking-Skadi-River-Boat-2013

JiminyC: Yes, I use Keene hiking boots too…used them on this cruise every day. My husband had his hiking boots too, but the plantar fasciitis still got bad.

The Optional Tour to Rothenburg was excellent, but the optional one in Nuremburg we heard different comments about…it was disappointing to most. We got to see almost as much as they did, so personally I wouldn't bother taking that optional excursion. We DID do the optional night in Vienna that was very good…a short (hour?) experience in what was probably the ballroom of a "nobleman's palace" in Vienna…9-person orchestra that was excellent, along with a couple of singers and dancers. Mozart and Strauss. About 300 people in the room…it was just done for the tourists…not like a night at the opera. Very nice.

We parked by the Magni in one port…our CD mentioned it was about its 2nd trip.

Thanks (again) for your response. I was wondering if the Keene hiking boots were overkill but obviously not.

I know the optional tour in Nuremburg takes you to where the trial was held. Did you see that on the included tour? The Vienna tour sounds like something we might like, too.

You have been a lot of help. Thanks!

JiminyC…we drove by the trial location, but did not go inside.

The Vienna tour (in the morning) that is included with Viking was very good…the Optional tour is in the evening and we thoroughly enjoyed that. The afternoon Optional Tour of the Schobrunn Palace was wonderful…so we had a very long day…but worth it. I would definitely recommend both those tours.

Janmcn, the last couple of weeks I started having leg pain after I shop for awhile but it stops after I sit for a few minutes. We leave next Saturday so the doctor is working hard trying to come up with a "plan" to help me. We don't really eve know what is causing it. So far, I've failed two medications :(. I guess my question is with all the extensive walking are there places along the tours to sit for a bit or are the tours walk, walk, walk? I'm so scared about the trip now. I didn't even have one issue before booking but now this. Any thoughts? Thanks!

JiminyC…so sorry to hear about your legs…not sure what I would do under the circumstances…if you have Trip Insurance that will cover it, at least you have some options. If not…then here is what is possible.

On several days they had an "easy walker tour" instead of the regular tour. You had to sign up for it the night before. It was an abbreviated tour, hitting the highlights of what to see…and/or it offered a small bus that would get you nearer a particular place. (It was usually just an hour.)

I don't recall any places to just sit where you could get picked up "on the way back" on some tours, but others (like Vienna, Budapest) were mostly bus tours that had photo ops. Some towns (Regensburg, Wurtzburg,) were right where we docked so you could just see the town yourself. The optional trip to Rothenburg is a place where you could bypass the tour group and just do on your own and meet them when they needed to meet…that's an option there. (Small town, plenty of coffee places to sit and enjoy.)

Some of the days you will be just enjoying the scenery on the river, too.

Take care…I'd be a bit concerned about the flight there more than anything…I got some of the special support socks (you can get them at any pharmacy) and I will say my legs felt better after the long flight than they had before. I also wore them on a few days when we walked a lot. (Amsterdam, Budapest).

Hope you just had a muscle sprain or something easy…

Good luck...

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have been thinking about getting some of those support socks. I may just do that. It definitely is a long fight and something I'm not looking forward to, pain or not, LOL. I more thinking more along the lines that when you are listening to those headsets on the tours are there benches or something sometimes? My doc has tried several anti inflammatories and said if nothing else works then maybe pain pills. I think I'm open to that for the short duration of a trip. Thanks for the luck and for your help. Hugs.

Janmcn, the last couple of weeks I started having leg pain after I shop for awhile but it stops after I sit for a few minutes. We leave next Saturday so the doctor is working hard trying to come up with a "plan" to help me. We don't really eve know what is causing it. So far, I've failed two medications :(. I guess my question is with all the extensive walking are there places along the tours to sit for a bit or are the tours walk, walk, walk? I'm so scared about the trip now. I didn't even have one issue before booking but now this. Any thoughts? Thanks!

When I get pain in my leg or back I go to the chiropractor. Sometimes I only need one treatment and other times I need a couple. Its usually something that has gone out of place...

When I get pain in my leg or back I go to the chiropractor. Sometimes I only need one treatment and other times I need a couple. Its usually something that has gone out of place...

Thank you. I was kind of wondering. I may check to see if I can get an appt before Saturday.

Archived