Motion or seasickness for young kids, what can they take??

Deemuch

Hello.

I have 2 children ages 8 & 11 yrs. We went on a short cruise over to the Bahamas from Ft.Lauderdale....only about 5 1/2 hr long. It was our first experience on a ship ( although it was not very big at all )...and sea was calm. We all did fine.

We are going on our real first cruise ( 11 night caribbean ), and I am unsure how we will fare.

I have a delayed reaction for motion sickness. I don't get sick like throwing up, and I don't feel anything while moving ( like a long roadtrip or airplane or even on boats )...however, once we have stopped, shortly after when we go to sit down or I am walking around, I suddently feel woozy & everything is going in/out & I feel like I am moving up & down. I finally figured out this is a delayed reaction.

Anyways...I am wondering what a 11 day cruise will do to me...will I feel the delayed reaction when on land, or will I end up getting severe reaction after the first day kicks in???

my oldest daughter 11 yrs, seems to possibly have motion sickness as well? But she seems to have it right away. Like road trips etc...she has to take gravol, becuase she doesnt feel well. Even thiongs I noticed like bike riding this year, she would complain about everything seeming to move & bubble, was how she explained it. So, I am wondering should I just give her gravol....or can kids take the ginger stuff as well??

What is recommended for kids ti take? Gravol works for her 7 doesnt make her drowsy BUT while I am ok giving it to her while in car, I think 11 days straight is something else...

PLEASE advise what is recommended for children.

Thank-you

Gotta say, you should probably check with a pediatrician rather than rely upon a response you get here. Not that we don't have doctors and experienced travelers on the boards, but for my own peace of mind, that's what I do, Adults are a little different than kids and it would be terrible for something awful to happen.

As for your response, you got landsick, which is the flip side of being sea sick. Take a motion sickness pill (I use Meclazine because it doesn't make me sleepy) and you will be fine.

Have a good cruise!

Charlie

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on checking with the doctor anyways...but was wondering what other people have used for their kids...what worked, didn't work?

I'm anitcipating that we should be fine, but I need to have some backup of course. My sister swears by the ginger root pills...so I will give that a shot myself. For kids, I don't know...aside from medication , which I would rather not, I thought perhaps things like seabands may work??

If anyone else has suggestions from your own experience with kids, I'd love to hear them...

Thank-you

When I first started cruising with my 2 older kids, they were only 1 and 2 years old. Realizing that they would not be able to tell me if they were feeling seasick, I gave them children's dramamine as a precaution. I soon discovered the big problem with that -- they became soooo drowsy, they were literally falling asleep at the dining room table at 6 p.m. -- and they were knocked out for the entire night!

After that learning experience, I decided to "bring" the dramamine with me, but I did not give it to them unless I could see they were'nt "right." They were fine. My youngest started cruising when he was only 7 months old, so I never gave him anything that young. But, he's been on 5 cruises, and only needed dramamine once -- and that was this past July. We were caught in a tropical depression and the seas became very rough. It affected him a lot. We gave him dramamine and let him sleep. The captain promptly sailed out of there and into calmer waters. When we were finally in calm seas (some hours later), he was fine and didn't need it again for the duration of the cruise.

You have to ask your pediatrician if the non-drowsy formula is okay for your kids, based upon their age, size and weight. As per our pediatrician, non-drowsy dramamine could not be used for our children. There is some ingrediant in there that could be harmful to children, we were told. If your doctor says that your children are able to take the non-drowsy formula, I would definitely bring that instead of the "super sedating" children's formula. Hope this helps.

When I first started cruising with my 2 older kids, they were only 1 and 2 years old. Realizing that they would not be able to tell me if they were feeling seasick, I gave them children's dramamine as a precaution. I soon discovered the big problem with that -- they became soooo drowsy, they were literally falling asleep at the dining room table at 6 p.m. -- and they were knocked out for the entire night!

After that learning experience, I decided to "bring" the dramamine with me, but I did not give it to them unless I could see they were'nt "right." They were fine. My youngest started cruising when he was only 7 months old, so I never gave him anything that young. But, he's been on 5 cruises, and only needed dramamine once -- and that was this past July. We were caught in a tropical depression and the seas became very rough. It affected him a lot. We gave him dramamine and let him sleep. The captain promptly sailed out of there and into calmer waters. When we were finally in calm seas (some hours later), he was fine and didn't need it again for the duration of the cruise.

You have to ask your pediatrician if the non-drowsy formula is okay for your kids, based upon their age, size and weight. As per our pediatrician, non-drowsy dramamine could not be used for our children. There is some ingrediant in there that could be harmful to children, we were told. If your doctor says that your children are able to take the non-drowsy formula, I would definitely bring that instead of the "super sedating" children's formula. Hope this helps.

Does anyone know of gravol works for sea sickness?

My daughter uses it for all our road travels...and it does not make her drowsy...BUT I don't know if motion sickness in a car is the same as seasickness motion...?? Is it?

I am curious becuase what I have read is that the other medication makes kids drowsy...and gravol can too...but I wouldnt mind sticking with something I know doesnt affect her.

I will be checking with my doctor anyways...but we dont cruise till January, so I wouldnt mind some feedback from anyone who has given their kids medication, just to see what other people have used & their experience.

My daughter is 11 yrs.

Thanks

Does anyone know of gravol works for sea sickness?

My daughter uses it for all our road travels...and it does not make her drowsy...BUT I don't know if motion sickness in a car is the same as seasickness motion...??

Thanks

I wld think that if Gravol is for motion sickness, she'll be fine with it. No doctor here, but as far as i know a motion sickness pill like dramamine works for all motion sickness (e.g. car, boat, amusement park rides, etc.). Never heard of Gravol. Check the packaging and see if it says it's a motion sickness aid and not (primarily) for something else.

My 8 year old daughter suffers from motion sickness in general, so I definitely took her to the dr. before our first cruise. The doctor told me the same thing he had told me for when she is in the car. He said to just give her the usual dosage of allergy medicine that I give her and that should take care of the problem. It worked for her both in the car and on the cruise. He said it was the antihistamine that does the trick.

Also, he said to just have children's Benadryl on hand for emergencies (he said you never know strange countries, strange reactions, etc.). I always bring children's Motrin and Tylenol for her as well (just in case) because it is expensive from the infirmary.

I talked to my pharmacist, he said my kids (6 & 8) could take the original formula dramamine. Since we were driving to the dock (about 14 hours) he told me to give it to them before we left home, they would probably sleep most of the way to the dock, and then it would be in their system, then give only if needed.

I have found the best med is Meclizine. (check spelling but close)

Not sure if its labeled for children, Check with your pharmacist. The pills are available from a pharmacy over the counter. All you have to do is ask for it. Here in TN I can buy 100 pills for about $10.00. (I buy them at Walgreens) One to two chewable pills a day and your good to go.

It works at a much lower price.

Archived