POA tips, hints, freebees, secrets and more

Rev. Joe

Since it seems this board is mostly about the POA, I would lve to hear your hints, secrets, freebees, and stuff. For instance, when is formal night and when do they make the leis. thanks you all for the hints

The POA does not really have a formal night. It is more of an opportunity to get dressed up and have your picture taken. This was the only mention of it in the Freestyle Daily. This was the most low-key formal night I have seen on any of my 10 NCL cruises. I only saw a handful of people dressed up and they really stood out. So, you might want to leave the dressy clothes at home and save more room for bathing suits!

Hi Joe,

Here is the craft schedule from last week.

Sunday - Flower Hair Pick / Boutonnieres - 6:15

Monday - Kukui Nut & Shell Lei - 3:45

Tuesday - Fresh Orchid Lei - 4:30

Wednesday - Lauhala Ribbon Weave Leis - 4:30

Thursday - Crepe Paper Hibiscus (not leis, just flowers) - 4:15

Friday - Towel Folding - 3:00

Also, they have nut & shell lei kits for sale everyday after the Monday class.

I just got back this morning from a GREAT trip. After I get some sleep I'm sure I'll be able to come up with some tips for you. If you have questions just ask. I have all my Freestyle Dailys but don't have a scanner so I can't post them.

Hi Joe,

Here is the craft schedule from last week.

Sunday - Flower Hair Pick / Boutonnieres - 6:15

Monday - Kukui Nut & Shell Lei - 3:45

Tuesday - Fresh Orchid Lei - 4:30

Wednesday - Lauhala Ribbon Weave Leis - 4:30

Thursday - Crepe Paper Hibiscus (not leis, just flowers) - 4:15

Friday - Towel Folding - 3:00

Also, they have nut & shell lei kits for sale everyday after the Monday class.

I just got back this morning from a GREAT trip. After I get some sleep I'm sure I'll be able to come up with some tips for you. If you have questions just ask. I have all my Freestyle Dailys but don't have a scanner so I can't post them.

Thanks for all the help so far! It is a bummer that some of those crafts have to be earlier in the day. I would prefer them later so we could partake in more of them, but I understand from the other standpoint as well. So glad you had a great time, we are so pumped about our vacation. It is wierd not having the cruise ship as the main focus. But all I have heard about Hawaii is great. Thanks and can't wait to hear your other secrets and ideas

We absolutely adored our POAM Hawaiian cruise three years ago, however with no sea days you really have to plan on the ship just being your traveling hotel. Not that the ship is not marvelous, but it would be a shame to miss one second on the islands for time on the ship, IMHO. The islands themselves are the stars of this cruise. We rented a car on every island, except for our Kona stop, where we took our one and only ship excursion - the Captain Zodiak snorkeling excursion. HIGHLY recommend this. I know some people do this on their own, but only the afternoon time slots are available usually for do-it-yourselfers, and the snorkeling trip to the Captain Cook Monument is so much better in the morning when the water is clear and relatively undisturbed. Each island has so many things to see and enjoy, and this cruise serves as a fantastic sampler of all the mmyriad treasures Hawaii holds for the visitor!

We didn't do the formal night, we were so glad we didn't have to! We didn't have time. We overpacked because we didn't realize that we could wear shorts in the Skyline every night, and in the Liberty the 1st and last nights. To us the buffet, yes the buffet and the Cadillac Diner were better than the dining rooms. So much to chose from and the best food ever on a cruise, I don't even like buffets at home! And don't miss the best hamburgers at the grill at the buffet. There is always a line, and they have the exact same ones in the Cadillac Diner!

If you are splurging on a balcony, get one with a larger balcony, they are up front on both sides and on the very back, aft. Our very large balcony made up for the small room. It was so nice to relax with 3 chairs, (1 reclined) and 2 small round tables and it still wasn't crowded! We decided to go back next March and we are getting an aft balcony this time so we can see both sides. Also if you have trouble walking like my DH does, the back aft is a better location, with the dining rooms below and the buffet just straight up. And when we exit the ship it's always way back toward the aft.

In the Hollywood Theatre you can take the shows! We didn't know this at first, until we seen it in the Dailies, Carnival never would allow it. I have great shows now on dvd!

Don't waste your money on the pictures, they don't do the Photo Frenzy and they aren't worth the very expensive prices. Have someone else take your picture on the stairs across from the service desk.

Everything else was great. We loved POA!

We didn't do the formal night, we were so glad we didn't have to! We didn't have time. We overpacked because we didn't realize that we could wear shorts in the Skyline every night, and in the Liberty the 1st and last nights. To us the buffet, yes the buffet and the Cadillac Diner were better than the dining rooms. So much to chose from and the best food ever on a cruise, I don't even like buffets at home! And don't miss the best hamburgers at the grill at the buffet. There is always a line, and they have the exact same ones in the Cadillac Diner!

If you are splurging on a balcony, get one with a larger balcony, they are up front on both sides and on the very back, aft. Our very large balcony made up for the small room. It was so nice to relax with 3 chairs, (1 reclined) and 2 small round tables and it still wasn't crowded! We decided to go back next March and we are getting an aft balcony this time so we can see both sides. Also if you have trouble walking like my DH does, the back aft is a better location, with the dining rooms below and the buffet just straight up. And when we exit the ship it's always way back toward the aft.

In the Hollywood Theatre you can take the shows! We didn't know this at first, until we seen it in the Dailies, Carnival never would allow it. I have great shows now on dvd!

Don't waste your money on the pictures, they don't do the Photo Frenzy and they aren't worth the very expensive prices. Have someone else take your picture on the stairs across from the service desk.

Everything else was great. We loved POA!

Would love to know where we depart the ship in the islands. Is it midship or in the frong or back.

Most of the time last week we got off on deck 3 midship. At one port it was midship and forward, but I can't remember which port.

I would suggest taking the elevator down to 5 midship and then the stairs down. (The midship stairs from 5 are behind the grand staircase, across from the front desk). Twice we didn't see the signs and ended up forward and had to walk on deck 4 (all cabins) back to midship.

Also, getting back on it was easier to walk up two flights to 5 and then across deck 5 to the elevator closest to our cabin rather then wait for an elevator on 3.

If you need an ATM there is one on deck 3, midship.

Here is a good hint. If you're too full at dinner to have dessert ask if you can get it to go. They'll put it on a plate with a cover, give you utinsels and you can take it back to your cabin for a midnight snack. :)

• 7 months later...
Found this old thread and wondering if anyone else has any other comments about the POA.

Thank you for doing this. We just booked the POA for 2011 and are very excited. I know this will not be our traditional cruise experience, so I am VERY INTERESTED in finding out all I can about how to make the most of this vacation. We are booked in an aft balcony. Our friends (different cruise) are booked in one of the forward large balconies. We have liked the afts on other ships. Is this stil a good choice, or are the forward balconies better? Your opnions and observations please!:)

Can someone please tell me what Resturants are available, the free ones and the ones for a fee?

What type of food do they have in them?

Do they have room service?

Also if this is a very casual cruise what do the majority of people wear in the dining room? Does POA really enforce the dress code in the dining room?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for doing this. We just booked the POA for 2011 and are very excited. I know this will not be our traditional cruise experience, so I am VERY INTERESTED in finding out all I can about how to make the most of this vacation. We are booked in an aft balcony. Our friends (different cruise) are booked in one of the forward large balconies. We have liked the afts on other ships. Is this stil a good choice, or are the forward balconies better? Your opnions and observations please!:)

Which deck did you book your aft balcony, and why did you choose it over the other decks?

Just looked into this a few days ago...

Included restaurants/food: Key West Bar and Grill (pool side sandwiches & salads), Cadillac Diner, Aloha Cafe (buffet), The Liberty Dining Room & The Skyline Dining Room

Charge restaurants: Jefferson's Bistro (French), Lazy J Texas (steak), East Meets West, Sushi Bar, Teppanyaki and Little Italy

• 2 weeks later...
Which deck did you book your aft balcony, and why did you choose it over the other decks?

Sorry I missed this earlier.

We booked Deck 8 as it looked like it was not looking down on the other decks, although that is just an observation from the deck plans, also is sandwiched between two other decks with cabins only. I do thionk we would be happy with any of the aft balconies, though. Love aft balconies!:)

Greetings all! If you're interested in saving a few $$ and are the independent traveler type, we just saved quite a bit by buying the Entertainment Book for Hawaii online before our trip... it was on sale because the year had already started; I think I got it for $10 (could be a member's price as I have one for my own area)

Anyway, if you want to book your own shore excursions and/or rent your own car, there are a few $$ saving opportunities in there:

-- In Kona -- a Body Glove whale-watching trip that departs right next to the ship's tender pier was two-for-$78 ($39 pp) ... and our boat was full of POA cruisers who paid the NCL shore excursion price of $85 pp ... by the way, great whale sightings

-- In Kauai or Oahu -- an AirVentures flight-seeing trip in a small plane, save 20% pp ... they'll pick you up at the pier

-- In Oahu -- 2-for-1 admission at the USS Missouri, the Waikiki Aquarium, the Polynesian Cultural Center

and then there are buy one/get one free coupons for various food places and coffee spots on all the islands -- we got a free coconut latte on Oahu's North Shore, a free shave ice in Kauai, a free ice cream sundae in Maui, etc.

Have fun!

Greetings all! If you're interested in saving a few $$ and are the independent traveler type, we just saved quite a bit by buying the Entertainment Book for Hawaii online before our trip... it was on sale because the year had already started; I think I got it for $10 (could be a member's price as I have one for my own area)

Anyway, if you want to book your own shore excursions and/or rent your own car, there are a few $$ saving opportunities in there:

-- In Kona -- a Body Glove whale-watching trip that departs right next to the ship's tender pier was two-for-$78 ($39 pp) ... and our boat was full of POA cruisers who paid the NCL shore excursion price of $85 pp ... by the way, great whale sightings

-- In Kauai or Oahu -- an AirVentures flight-seeing trip in a small plane, save 20% pp ... they'll pick you up at the pier

-- In Oahu -- 2-for-1 admission at the USS Missouri, the Waikiki Aquarium, the Polynesian Cultural Center

and then there are buy one/get one free coupons for various food places and coffee spots on all the islands -- we got a free coconut latte on Oahu's North Shore, a free shave ice in Kauai, a free ice cream sundae in Maui, etc.

Have fun!

Thanks for the info. Very helpful!

Have fun!

We are going to Hawaii on Nov. 25th and the 2010 Entertainment expires Nov. 1st! :( I hope they release the 2011 early enough for me to use it on my trip!

We are going to Hawaii on Nov. 25th and the 2010 Entertainment expires Nov. 1st! :( I hope they release the 2011 early enough for me to use it on my trip!

We typically buy our Entertainment books in September, so you should be fine.

OK I did find the Missouri 2 for 1 but isn't this part of Pearl Harbor which is supposed to be free? Or is this a separate or additional tour you have to pay for? Still can't find anything for Polynesian Cultural Center.

Hi! The Arizona memorial is free, but the USS Missouri is $20 pp ... you have to take a bus from the Arizona welcome center to visit the Missouri. They also sell a combo ticket with the Bowfin submarine, but the Entertainment coupon is not for the combo, only for the Missouri

I left the Entertainment Book in Hawaii in addition to the tip for our hotel housekeeper ... figured someone local might get some use out of all the stuff I didn't use

So I can't look for the Poly Cultural Center page for you ... but it was in there!

Happy travels!

Archived