Sydney airport and transfer from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2

4774Papa

DW and I will be arriving at Sydney on Delta FLT 17 from LAX at 0840. It appears that we will arrive at Terminal 1. Our flight to Perth (Virgin Australia DJ 555) departs from Terminal 2 at 1040.

Question 1, I checked the Sydney internet site and it appears that there is a bus that goes between terminals. Also, I see on the airport map that the train stops at both terminals. Further, Virgin Australia seems to have a transfer site.

How do we expeditiously go from Terminal 1 to 2?

Question 2, DW has her flight booked all the way from the USA to Perth, since I purchased her ticket. I used frequent flyer miles and my ticket on Delta ends at Sydney. I had to purchase my flight from Sydney to Perth on the internet with VA. I realize that we will be going through customs and taking our luggage. When entering the USA, we usually are able to hand the luggage back after custom and not have to handle our bags.

Since my travel is made with two separate tickets. How will I deal with my luggage in Sydney? Will I accept the luggage after customs, then check it at Terminal 1, or have to carry it to Terminal 2, where I check it?

DW and I will be arriving at Sydney on Delta FLT 17 from LAX at 0840. It appears that we will arrive at Terminal 1. Our flight to Perth (Virgin Australia DJ 555) departs from Terminal 2 at 1040.

Question 1, I checked the Sydney internet site and it appears that there is a bus that goes between terminals. Also, I see on the airport map that the train stops at both terminals. Further, Virgin Australia seems to have a transfer site.

Question 2, DW has her flight booked all the way from the USA to Perth, since I purchased her ticket. I used frequent flyer miles and my ticket on Delta ends at Sydney. I had to purchase my flight from Sydney to Perth on the internet with VA. I realize that we will be going through customs and taking our luggage. When entering the USA, we usually are able to hand the luggage back after custom and not have to handle our bags.

Since my travel is made with two separate tickets. How will I deal with my luggage in Sydney? Will I accept the luggage after customs, then check it at Terminal 1, or have to carry it to Terminal 2, where I check it?

G'day George

You will have no problems transferring from T1 (international) to T2 (domestic) in Sydney. They have an excellent and seamless transfer system just recently upgraded. Once through immigration/customs you will find a Virgin Transfer desk where you can recheck your bags and have your shuttle arrangements organised.

Wow...getting off an international flight from the States and straight onto one of the longest domestic flights around will be really tiring...you will really need your cruise.:D

We are doing a short visit to New Zealand in a couple of weeks... and the only flight we could get was via Sydney...so I have the same issue as you....transferring from domestic to Intnl and then vice versa.

Fortunately when we fly to Perth for the cruise we will be going direct from Brisbane.

cheers

You will have no problems transferring from T1 (international) to T2 (domestic) in Sydney. They have an excellent and seamless transfer system just recently upgraded. Once through immigration/customs you will find a Virgin Transfer desk where you can recheck your bags and have your shuttle arrangements organised.
Will Virgin do this even for pax arriving on a non-Virgin international flight? And will it be $15 per person to use the bus?

The Virgin website suggests both of these things: see http://www.virginaustralia.com/uk/en/experience/at-the-airport/connecting-flights/#international-connections

We are doing a short visit to New Zealand in a couple of weeks... and the only flight we could get was via Sydney...so I have the same issue as you....transferring from domestic to Intnl and then vice versa.

Just a tip for you...you may already know but just in case..

We had to do that once to come home from Brisbane. We did not realise but they had a special counter for International connections at the Brisbane domestic terminal . We could not see the sign due to the long lines, but when we got up there we found they had a seperate counter and they checked our bags right through to Auckland. The transfer at Sydney was easy peasey..:D.

I am not sure if they still do that , but worth looking out for to save some time .

Thanks for your information.

We have four flights from Jacksonville, Florida to Perth. It will be brutal, especially that 14 hour flight from LAX to Sydney. Still, we have three days in Perth prior to our cruise. We are excited about going to Australia.

It seems that you can take the train from Terminal 1 to 2 for five dollars and it takes 2 minutes.
But you have to walk from T1 to the station, which includes descending several levels; and then you have to walk from the other station to T2, which includes climbing several levels. Also, the entrance to the train station at T1 is at the opposite end of the building from where you will exit from Customs. While there are escalators and lifts (elevators), more walking is involved than if you take a bus transfer. It's not difficult provided you're fit and mobile, but it would be as well to know in advance what this method involves.
Is the security line at domestic generally long?
Very seldom, IME.

I made a similar T1 to T2 transfer earlier this year on a business trip. My LAX-SYD was on UA and my connecting SYD-BNE (Brisbane) flight was on Virgin Australia (VA). The SYD-BNE flight was ticketed separately from the international portion. As the others have described, I simply went to to VA transfer desk, got my boarding pass and checked my luggage to BNE. The VA agent gave me a ticket for the bus, at no cost. (I see the part on the VA web site about AU$15. I'm not sure if this is new policy of if the agent decided not to charge me.) The bus was located right outside the door by the VA transfer desk. This was all very easy. So I'd recommend going with the bus.

Just a note on VA, the seats are pretty close together. I'm 6'2" and my knees were touching the seat ahead (on a 737). Check it out on Seatguru for your flight. If you are tall, see if you can get an exit row or bulkhead.

In general, I found Australia air travel to be a real pleasure compared to what we have in the USA. The security procedures seem quite reasonable, but not over the top as in the USA.

I really enjoyed seeing Perth too (later in my trip). I spent my free time in Freemantle, or Freo as the locals call it.

I made a similar T1 to T2 transfer earlier this year on a business trip. My LAX-SYD was on UA and my connecting SYD-BNE (Brisbane) flight was on Virgin Australia (VA). The SYD-BNE flight was ticketed separately from the international portion. As the others have described, I simply went to to VA transfer desk, got my boarding pass and checked my luggage to BNE. The VA agent gave me a ticket for the bus, at no cost. (I see the part on the VA web site about AU$15. I'm not sure if this is new policy of if the agent decided not to charge me.) The bus was located right outside the door by the VA transfer desk. This was all very easy. So I'd recommend going with the bus.

Just a note on VA, the seats are pretty close together. I'm 6'2" and my knees were touching the seat ahead (on a 737). Check it out on Seatguru for your flight. If you are tall, see if you can get an exit row or bulkhead.

In general, I found Australia air travel to be a real pleasure compared to what we have in the USA. The security procedures seem quite reasonable, but not over the top as in the USA.

I really enjoyed seeing Perth too (later in my trip). I spent my free time in Freemantle, or Freo as the locals call it.

Mercruiser,

Thanks for the information. I am ticketed separately and am concerned if my Delta flight is late. We have a one hour flight from JAX to Atl, then a 5 hour flight to LAX, 14 hour flight from LAX to Sydney and finally 5 hour flight to Perth. I just hope that we can make the entire trip without being late for a flight, since the trip is bad enough by itself.

Mercruiser,

Thanks for the information. I am ticketed separately and am concerned if my Delta flight is late. We have a one hour flight from JAX to Atl, then a 5 hour flight to LAX, 14 hour flight from LAX to Sydney and finally 5 hour flight to Perth. I just hope that we can make the entire trip without being late for a flight, since the trip is bad enough by itself.

Virgin now uses the new long range widebody Airbus A330 on its Perth flights with more comfortable seating, but i would still take up the recommendation on upgrading to an exit or bulhead seat so you can stretch out.

My main concern is that your connection time is very tight. You will need to make the Cabin Staff aware of your situation. I hope you have these booked as connections with your main flight, not as separate bookings. The next direct flight to Perth is not until 5.30pm.

Bus transfer would be the way to go using the Virgin direct transfer from inside the terminal. This is the one available to pax booked through on Virgin. There is also another transfer bus outside the terminal for non-Virgin passengers called the T-bus. Qantas also has a similar domestic transfer system.

Virgin now uses the new long range widebody Airbus A330 on its Perth flights with more comfortable seating, but i would still take up the recommendation on upgrading to an exit or bulhead seat so you can stretch out.

My main concern is that your connection time is very tight. You will need to make the Cabin Staff aware of your situation. I hope you have these booked as connections with your main flight, not as separate bookings. The next direct flight to Perth is not until 5.30pm.

Bus transfer would be the way to go using the Virgin direct transfer from inside the terminal. This is the one available to pax booked through on Virgin. There is also another transfer bus outside the terminal for non-Virgin passengers called the T-bus. Qantas also has a similar domestic transfer system.

I have tried to book seats for the Sydney to Perth flight, but the VA website says seating not available.

I purchased the one-way ticket from Sydney to Perth months ago for $188.50 Au.
I am not a Virgin Australia expert, but it looks to me like you have a Saver fare, in which case the page I pointed to suggests that you can't pre-allocate a seat before check-in. If I've read it right, you can do that 14 days before the flight if you've bought a ticket that is not a Saver ticket, or if you're a higher-tier frequent flyer.

However, IIRC you can allocate a seat when you check-in including during online check-in.

Hopefully someone who has more (and more recent) experience of flying on Virgin Blue/Virgin Australia will be able to confirm or correct this.

Thanks for this post!

I just checked our flights and we arrive in Terminal 5 (also a Delta flight from LAX) and depart from Terminal 1 (Air New Zealand). The person I spoke to said we'll have to take our luggage from 5 to 1 on our own. :(

Only good thing is that we arrive at 8:30 am and don't fly out until 11:30 so we have 3 hours to do this!

Also, I just found out that Delta changed the time of our flight from Michigan so that we only have 35 minutes between flights! :eek: Looks like we'll be changing the DTW -LAX flight!

EDIT: I just checked again and we're on Delta flight 17 on the 23rd. If you're on that flight you might want to check your terminal again.

Papa

Thanks for this post!

If I hadn't read it and decided to check terminals I never would have known about Delta changing our flight times until much closer to the departure.

I checked about a month ago and then everything was fine.

As it is, Delta totally screwed up and we've lost our really good seats (somehow we lost them on both flights, even though the LAX - SYD flight is the same! :mad: )

Thanks for this post!

I just checked our flights and we arrive in Terminal 5 (also a Delta flight from LAX) and depart from Terminal 1 (Air New Zealand). The person I spoke to said we'll have to take our luggage from 5 to 1 on our own. :(

Only good thing is that we arrive at 8:30 am and don't fly out until 11:30 so we have 3 hours to do this!

Also, I just found out that Delta changed the time of our flight from Michigan so that we only have 35 minutes between flights! :eek: Looks like we'll be changing the DTW -LAX flight!

EDIT: I just checked again and we're on Delta flight 17 on the 23rd. If you're on that flight you might want to check your terminal again.

Hi Karen

I am a bit confused about your reference to Terminal 5... you seem to be talking about Sydney, but there are only 3 terminals at Sydney Airport....T1 is for all international flights and is on the western side of the precinct. T2 and T3 are both on the east and are for domestic flights only.

A couple of other points

1. You are arriving on D17 which is a code share with Virgin VA 6551 and you will arrive at T1 (as I said there is no T5). Yes, you will need to do the immigration thing, but you will only need to remain within T1 as your flight to NZ departs from same terminal.

2. Delta, Virgin and Air New Zealand are all Air Partners. Usually this works to enable passengers do a seamless transfer between flights. Perhaps you should re check with Delta at your end (or perhaps with Virgin) and see what the arrangements are regarding your luggage.

We are heading off to Auckland ourselves tomorrow for a few days...long 3 hour flight with grandchildren :p

cheers

Appreciate all the good information from the various posters here. We have a similar situation: arrive Sydney at 0810 on a United flight from San Francisco and then depart for Auckland at 1150 on Qantas. It doesn't seem as if United will tag our bags all the way through to Auckland so I'm assuming we claim our bags after immigration and prior to going through customs. Does that sound right? Will there be a Qantas desk there for transfers where we can check our bags to Auckland and get boarding passes, or will we have to exit the transfer area and check in for our flight at the Qantas desk in the arrivals area? We think we have plenty of time, especially since we can use SmartGate for immigration clearance, but knowing what to expect will help immensely. Thanks in advance. Dennis

Hi Karen

I am a bit confused about your reference to Terminal 5... you seem to be talking about Sydney, but there are only 3 terminals at Sydney Airport....T1 is for all international flights and is on the western side of the precinct. T2 and T3 are both on the east and are for domestic flights only.

A couple of other points

1. You are arriving on D17 which is a code share with Virgin VA 6551 and you will arrive at T1 (as I said there is no T5). Yes, you will need to do the immigration thing, but you will only need to remain within T1 as your flight to NZ departs from same terminal.

2. Delta, Virgin and Air New Zealand are all Air Partners. Usually this works to enable passengers do a seamless transfer between flights. Perhaps you should re check with Delta at your end (or perhaps with Virgin) and see what the arrangements are regarding your luggage.

We are heading off to Auckland ourselves tomorrow for a few days...long 3 hour flight with grandchildren :p

cheers

I called Air New Zealand because I couldn't access our tickets on line (we got them with FF miles so, for some reason, don't have on line access :confused: ) and the rep there told me Delta always arrives in Terminal 5.

Then i looked up our tickets and confirmed.

Wed, 23 Jan 2013 36 days from departure

LAX

SYD : DL 17

FLIGHT STATUS: STATUS NOT AVAILABLE

Depart:

10:50 PM

Arrive:

8:40 AM

This flight arrives - Fri, 25 Jan 2013.

Terminal 5

I like your info MUCH better. We were NOT looking forward to dragging our bags between terminals!!!

Another question -since you seem to be familiar with the Sydney airport.

Does Delta have a lounge there? (The one for first class passengers and those with Amex cards)

I called Air New Zealand because I couldn't access our tickets on line (we got them with FF miles so, for some reason, don't have on line access :confused: ) and the rep there told me Delta always arrives in Terminal 5.

Then i looked up our tickets and confirmed.

Wed, 23 Jan 2013 36 days from departure

LAX

SYD : DL 17

FLIGHT STATUS: STATUS NOT AVAILABLE

Depart:

10:50 PM

Arrive:

8:40 AM

This flight arrives - Fri, 25 Jan 2013.

Terminal 5

I like your info MUCH better. We were NOT looking forward to dragging our bags between terminals!!!

Another question -since you seem to be familiar with the Sydney airport.

Does Delta have a lounge there? (The one for first class passengers and those with Amex cards)

chamima,

Good luck on your connections. Delta did notify us of the change in flight times. Also, the aircraft changed from a two seat on the side to three, so we lost our economy comfort seats. I called Delta and they fixed the problem, we both got aisle seats across from each other. I can't handle middle seats.

My concern is that because I used skymiles for my ticket, that I had to purchase a separate ticket from VA from Sydney to Perth. Still, I have two hours between flights, and I see that flight 17 reliably arrives on time.

I envy your B2B with the NZ and south Australia cruise. Perhaps we will do that one some day. We decided to do three days in Perth pre and five post in Sydney instead.

chamima,

Good luck on your connections. Delta did notify us of the change in flight times. Also, the aircraft changed from a two seat on the side to three, so we lost our economy comfort seats. I called Delta and they fixed the problem, we both got aisle seats across from each other. I can't handle middle seats.

My concern is that because I used skymiles for my ticket, that I had to purchase a separate ticket from VA from Sydney to Perth. Still, I have two hours between flights, and I see that flight 17 reliably arrives on time.

I envy your B2B with the NZ and south Australia cruise. Perhaps we will do that one some day. We decided to do three days in Perth pre and five post in Sydney instead.

The exact same thing happened to us. They didn't notify us (the rep on the phone even said that she could see from our record that they should have notified us and didn't !!! :mad:)

We were able to get on an earlier flight to LA but we also lost our good seats.

We are WAY back on the DTW- LAX flight (we were way in the front on the original flight) and after a lot of arguing were able to get two economy comfort seats together (last row instead the first row we had originally booked because of the change of equipment).

I guess I should be glad that we're still next to each other!

Archived