Sawyer or Glacier Bay?

Sheils65

Hi,

We are thinking of doing an Alaska Cruise in 2015-2016. I was wondering if you could tell me the difference between Sawyer and Glacier Bay's.

Is there more scenery, wildlife, glaciers on one more than the other. Is there a price difference, etc. I am up for anything so personal preferences are welcomed.

Thanks,

Both offer beautiful scenery. Sawyer is more like a fijord (more closed in feeling) and you may or may not get to the glaciers at the end of the fijord.

Glacier Bay is more open, and you will see maybe 4 or 5 glaciers. Glacier Bay is a National Park for a reason.

I'd choose a sailing with Glacier Bay, then if you really wanted to see Sawyer maybe take the small boat excursion from Juneau???

Have a great trip!

In ten cruises up Tracy Arm, we have been to Sawyer Glacier once. The rest of the time they turned around half way there. Tracy Arm is pretty, but for glaciers I'd go Glacier Bay.

I have made 4 unsuccessful attempts at Tracy Arm.

Definitely Glacier Bay.

I guess I need Alaska for dummies but what is Tracy Arm? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tracy Arm is a fiord with Sawyer Glaciers at the end. So you must enter Tracy Arm in order to get to North and South Sawyer Glacier at the end.

Tracy Arm is often missed or if a ship or boat enters, often they have to turn around before seeing the glaciers. I have tried 2 cruise ships and 2 small boats and have yet to see the glaciers.

Why do they turn around? Not enough time?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Most ships can navigate through ice but it is very time consuming and they don't plan for that much time. Sometimes if they know in advance, they go to Endicott Arm and to Dawes Glacier, but it is not as scenic.

Archived