Swimming with Sharks - South Pacific?

Hi,

We are going to noumea,lifou, isle of pines and Vila in December and my husband is interested in swimming with sharks.

Would any of these ports offer anything like that as an option?

We have booked Amadee island for noumea but other than that we haven't booked anything yet.

Also any suggestions for tours/things to do at lifou and isle of pines?

TIA

I agree with Barry. I don't believe there are any "swimming with shark" tours in the ports you mention. In Isle of Pines you could either go on a tour to the Natural Aquarium (Baie d' Oro) or simply walk to the swimming/snorkelling spot near the sacred rock. Just follow the crowd!

Yep, none of the places have swimming with sharks. But we were in Lifou a few weeks ago and they closed all the beaches due to a white pointer sighting that morning!!!! Never heard of that before. I don't think that is the sort of swimming with sharks you are after!!!

But if you snorkel, Lifou is the best and Hideaway Island at Port Vila is pretty good as well.

Port Lincoln is where you can swim with sharks. I don't think you even have to pay for it.

I think that the OP may have been thinking of a tour where you swim with sharks -- and then afterwards, you get back onto dry land (alive) :D

Here in Qld -- there are no dangerous sharks (unlike in NSW, WA and SA). This is because the crocs ate them all.

Barry

Yep, none of the places have swimming with sharks. But we were in Lifou a few weeks ago and they closed all the beaches due to a white pointer sighting that morning!!!! Never heard of that before. I don't think that is the sort of swimming with sharks you are after!!!

But if you snorkel, Lifou is the best and Hideaway Island at Port Vila is pretty good as well.

The bigger sharks are having to come in closer to the shore now as their feeding grounds are being fished out by the big corporate fishing fleets.:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Beqa divers at Pacific Harbour in Fiji do shark diving, and are a very professional, well run outfit... I did a shark feeding dive with them while staying at Mana Island.

Not sure how you'd fit it in with a cruise itinerary though, as it's around a 50km drive from Suva.

I think that the OP may have been thinking of a tour where you swim with sharks -- and then afterwards, you get back onto dry land (alive) :D

Here in Qld -- there are no dangerous sharks (unlike in NSW, WA and SA). This is because the crocs ate them all.

Barry

Or they stay away due to the stingers and Box jellyfish.:D

I swam with sharks, unintentionally, while snorkelling in Fiji. They were just the reef sharks, which the locals said were harmless. Nevertheless, I got out the water!

Off our local coast, in NZ, I've seen mako, blue pointer, and one great white - he's been coming here every summer for the past few years. I've even caught (by mistake) a small blue pointer (only about 24 inches long) and been astounded at how quick and how strong they are.

Swim with sharks as a planned activity? No thanks!

Several years ago we went to shark island from Rangiroa (Kia Ora resort) and swam with sharks, sharks brought on the boat, drift diving/snorkeling. It was a great if primitive picnic spot with the food caught and prepared right there. I was preoccupied to distraction with polishing the story to tell the cousin of why his eighteen year old daughter who was traveling with us was actually swimming with sharks! And why we could not stop her! and why we actually paid for her to do this activity. It really was a good outing and all survived the swim with the sharks.

Several years ago we went to shark island from Rangiroa (Kia Ora resort) and swam with sharks, sharks brought on the boat, drift diving/snorkeling. It was a great if primitive picnic spot with the food caught and prepared right there. I was preoccupied to distraction with polishing the story to tell the cousin of why his eighteen year old daughter who was traveling with us was actually swimming with sharks! And why we could not stop her! and why we actually paid for her to do this activity. It really was a good outing and all survived the swim with the sharks.

Yes, sometimes we do crazy things or is it that they just appear crazy to others.:D

Archived