Sun Princess to enter the Japanese market

i noticed this on the princess site that we are going to lose our Sun Princess for awhile to do some cruises to Japan

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33089920&posted=1#post33089920

I noticed -

"A specially designed enrichment program will include an expert lecture series on art, culture and history."

That will be a bonus. Does the Sun Princess have an expert lecture series on art, culture and history, whilst it is cruising in Australia?

I noticed -

"A specially designed enrichment program will include an expert lecture series on art, culture and history."

That will be a bonus. Does the Sun Princess have an expert lecture series on art, culture and history, whilst it is cruising in Australia?

The Sun has lecturers who speak on different topics, particularly on longer cruises. The topics are wide and varied, and it is the luck of the draw which lecturer or lecturers are on a particular cruise.

An local online T/A site now shows the last return cruise of the Sun Princess leaving Brisbane on the 18th March 2013 & returning 29th March 2013.

All future cruises after this time including the 2013 Pacific World Cruise as now showing as unavailable

I guess that she will either leave Brisbane on the 29th March 2013 for Japan or maybe have a quick dry dock visit before leaving for her first cruise there on 27th April 2013.

We will have to wait & see if she returns back for the Australian 2013-14 Spring & Summer sailings.

Well thats 2 down .

Pacific Sun will be gone , and now Sun Princess is moving on .

Guess they think they have saturated the market for now.

Or they know that the competition here will be hotting up next year, with newer ships and, hopefully, better itineraries.

Last I heard Sun Princess was going to have a refurb next April, so I guess she will may have that before beginning cruises to Japan.

Currently the Sun Princess is scheduled for dry dock in Brisbane 30 March 2013 - 9April 2013.

Then she is also scheduled in Singapore 11 August 2013 - 23 August 2013.

Not to sure what is planned for a Singapore dry dock .

Cheers Johhno

i noticed this on the princess site that we are going to lose our Sun Princess for awhile to do some cruises to Japan

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33089920&posted=1#post33089920

While I acknowledge your post and the attachment, I just called up princess cruises website and they are still advertising all the normal 2013 cruises out of Oz, as is my normal on line TA. Communication breakdown or what??

I phoned Princess directly on the day this was announced. I was assured that the Sun Princess is coming back to Brisbane after her deploymnent to Japan!

Having said that, I say nothing in this world is dead set certain! :D

While I acknowledge your post and the attachment, I just called up princess cruises website and they are still advertising all the normal 2013 cruises out of Oz, as is my normal on line TA. Communication breakdown or what??

if you log into princess the Sun Princess was advertised to do a 75 nighter on the 26th april 2013 and its showing as sold out....the 17 nighter 10th july & 35 nighter sept 24th as sold out so i think they will be changed to do Japan

if you log into princess the Sun Princess was advertised to do a 75 nighter on the 26th april 2013 and its showing as sold out....the 17 nighter 10th july & 35 nighter sept 24th as sold out so i think they will be changed to do Japan

How about that. Since I posted my comment at 9am this morning my usual online TA has changed the sun princess itinerary. They must be reading these posts. Haha

I phoned Princess directly on the day this was announced. I was assured that the Sun Princess is coming back to Brisbane after her deploymnent to Japan!

Having said that, I say nothing in this world is dead set certain! :D

I do wonder about that. From the articles I've read, they seem to be making quite a few changes to cater for the Japanese passengers. It reminds me of the changes they're making to the Spirit for her relocation. The Spirit's relocation is permanent though, which makes me cynical about the claims that Sun Princess will be coming back here.

I think also that Princess have come to realise what gems they have in these ships. It took them a long time to realise the popularity and potential of Pacific and Tahitian Princess.

The R Clas and the Sun Class have a big following in North America and Princess have now learned that they can milk a captive market and charge higher prices than Australians are prepared to pay.

Dont be surprised if Dawn and Sea Princess follow suit.

Surely they wouldn't abandon Australia though. Unless they're planning to bring newer ships into the market (should they move Dawn and Sea Princess too). Either that or Carnival will replace Princess here in Australia alongside P&O Australia...

Surely they wouldn't abandon Australia though. Unless they're planning to bring newer ships into the market (should they move Dawn and Sea Princess too). Either that or Carnival will replace Princess here in Australia alongside P&O Australia...

Now you are starting to see the light.:D

Thats what I reckon is going to happen.

Carnival Australia will operate the big ships like Carnival Spirit or even bigger , when they are built, and fill them up with as many people as they can. These overcrowded ships will be very popular as the price will appeal to mass market bargain seekers. :eek:

Cruising as we know it, on "traditional smaller cruise ships" , will become a passtime for the elite only , and the cruise lines will charge accordingly.

SEA PRINCESS will be permanently in Aus from Sept 12 . So that was planned to be Sun, Dawn & Sea all based in Aus and that was how they were booking.

Princess sensed overcapaicty and made sudden decision to base SUN in Japan from April for 3 months. Then returns downunder August for normal season .

We will have to wait and see how Australian itins are re-arranged to accommodarte Circle Pacific as that has been a very popular itinerary in the past .

The fact they've set up an entirely new entity with Carnival Japan makes me think there's more on the bubble. If Sun Princess was only spending a couple of months there, I don't know if they'd bother which an operation like that (or the refurb). I wonder if Japan would ever get it's own Carnival run brand (ie, we have P&O Aus, Italy has Costa, Germany has Aida, etc).

An local online T/A site now shows the last return cruise of the Sun Princess leaving Brisbane on the 18th March 2013 & returning 29th March 2013.

All future cruises after this time including the 2013 Pacific World Cruise as now showing as unavailable

I guess that she will either leave Brisbane on the 29th March 2013 for Japan or maybe have a quick dry dock visit before leaving for her first cruise there on 27th April 2013.

We will have to wait & see if she returns back for the Australian 2013-14 Spring & Summer sailings.

We are very disappointed we were booked on the Sun Princess April 2013 for the South Pacific Cruise to Fiji and it looks like Princess will not be doing these cruises in 2013 and we have looked at Carnival Spirit and it looks like the ship is aimed at Families also their cruises are shorter any ideas for a cruise of 14 days to Fiji out of Sydney:confused:

We are very disappointed we were booked on the Sun Princess April 2013 for the South Pacific Cruise to Fiji and it looks like Princess will not be doing these cruises in 2013 and we have looked at Carnival Spirit and it looks like the ship is aimed at Families also their cruises are shorter any ideas for a cruise of 14 days to Fiji out of Sydney:confused:

the Sea Princess is doing a 14 nighter to Fiji on the 25/1/13 or the Pacific Pearl is doing a 14 nighter on the 14/2/13 if they are suitable dates......if you havent been on the Pearl the cabins are much bigger than the other cruise ships and they are a mixed crowd,we have been on both and we dont mind p&o

we did the Sea Princess to Fiji this february and we had a good time, didnt miss any ports and always on time

Archived