Bannister Island or just go to the port area?

cruzinlisa

We are traveling with a 2 year old so our options are limited. We are on Carnival Conquest and trying to decide what to do. One option is the private beach break, which is Bannister Island. I don't mind doing a beach, but its not a must as we are going to Roatan and Cozumel and plan on doing beaches at each. If we go to the port area, we will probably just walk around and do souvenier shopping, which I like, but know I can do at Cozumel (and probably Roatan). I really just want to have a couple of drinks and hang out. This excursion seems to have either great or horrible reviews, no middle of the road here. Is this worth $40 pp or are we going to be better of doing something else. I am leary about going into port and finding a private tour, which I would do in some other ports, since I have HEARD about Belize. Ideas? Suggestions? ANything?

I think one of the big benefits of Bannister is avoiding the actual port- and booking it through the cruiseline means you don't have to tender twice. With a 2 year old this is especially nice. Other than shopping, I don't think there's anything great at the port, or within walking distance. Most of the tours seem to head out away from the port (some quite a distance). I was challenged with this port too- but was really happy with my time at Bannister last year- nice beach, nice swimming area, and nice bar- prices weren't bad, and everything went smoothly.

We just did Bannister 2 weeks ago.

I have a thorough report with TONS of pictures in the review I just did.

I can give you the link, but as I said it's loaded with tons of info and pictures so you kind of have to sift through it all.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=7

It starts at post 251. :)

If you like starfish....you will LOVE this place. :p

We just did Bannister 2 weeks ago.

I have a thorough report with TONS of pictures in the review I just did.

I can give you the link, but as I said it's loaded with tons of info and pictures so you kind of have to sift through it all.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=7

It starts at post 251. :)

If you like starfish....you will LOVE this place. :p

Thanks so much for the link! The pictures you took are great! I can't wait to see the starfish, have never seen any snorkeling, so that will be cool. I really didn't want to do a ship excursion, but there aren't many options for beach excursions in Belize and Goff's Caye is out because hubby won't lay on the sand. I was a little skeptical until I saw your pics, but it looks like it'll be alright.

I actually read your entire review and just wanted to tell you that it was great! Loved all the pics!!

Thanks so much for the link! The pictures you took are great! I can't wait to see the starfish, have never seen any snorkeling, so that will be cool. I really didn't want to do a ship excursion, but there aren't many options for beach excursions in Belize and Goff's Caye is out because hubby won't lay on the sand. I was a little skeptical until I saw your pics, but it looks like it'll be alright.

I actually read your entire review and just wanted to tell you that it was great! Loved all the pics!!

You are very welcome and thanks for reading the review. We had a great cruise dispite a few little things. :)

You will definitely see starfish here that's for sure. Just swim out past the deck that hangs out over the water (but watch out for those "holes to no where") and then in front of the deck. That's where I found "most" of them. :D

While we never do ship excursions either, we felt that it was worth it this time around because they took us directly off the ship (saving tender time) and that was an added plus.

Just don't forget the hand sanitzer now that you know there is no water to wash your hands with. I have read a few reviews since we went and people are still reporting no water there. :(

We thought Bannister was a worthwhile excursion also. This time we are with Coral Breeze to Shark Ray Alley and Caye Caulkner...Their island escape, which takes you to Caulkner and back would be great for you two and your child also. Couple of photos from Bannister.

sany1961.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sany1971.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Archived