Time from casting-off to reaching the Gulf?

Trin1103

So I was VERY surprised to find out recently that it apparently takes a signficant portion of our cruise just to get from NOLA to the Gulf and vice-versa on the way home. I would like to hear from some out there who have sailed Carnival etc. from NOLA regarding how long it exactly takes!

Thanks!

..Trin..

That is part of the attraction!

Oh - absolutely!! :D Sorry if I made it sound like I was disappointed or something - no way! I'm totally stoked to find out that we will be spending so much of our time actually on the Mississippi rather than the Gulf - it's awesome! Never cruised before - so DH and I will be some of those folks who are overly excited about everything - the pilot ships, the oil rigs, day or night, everything. :D

The only thing that may disappoint me is the fact that we will be traversing the wetlands and sand bars in the dark (leave NOLA at 4PM in January) - both DH and I are great birding and wildlife enthusiasts and we sure would have loved to have sat up top with the binoculars!

Thanks for your answer, sir! :)

..Trin..

You're welcome.

Obviously the days are longer during the summer. There might be some sightseeing opportunities on the return to New Orleans, too.

DSC_5038.JPG

and you know a lot of them are watching you as you are watching them. :)

Even in the Gulf, there are occasional opportunities

DSC_3910.JPG

DSC_3911%20%282%29.JPG

DSC_3912%20%282%29.JPG

DSC_3913%20%282%29.JPG

Enjoy!

You're welcome.

Obviously the days are longer during the summer. There might be some sightseeing opportunities on the return to New Orleans, too.

Enjoy!

:D Yep - I've already been all over your reviews on zd.net/com ;). Thank you, btw, for taking the time to do all of that for us newbies. It helps folk like us who have never sailed before know exactly what to expect - which is very comforting.

I would consider our cruise a 100% success if we just caught a glimpse of dolphins like in your shots above - how magnificent and majestic! With my Sea Shepherd-obsessed DH in tow.....I think he'd wet his pants ROFL! Rest assured - we will be up on-deck taking photos of everything and anything. It'll all be new to us - oil rigs, the Mississippi, NOLA, sea life - you name it - light or dark, we'll be in awe!

..Trin..

I have always enjoyed cruising down the Mississippi River. Lots of times people have come out on the levee and waved to us and other times they were doing fireworks as we went by. Travel time usually around 7-8 hours and after dark you can see all the navigation lights on the river and you might even be able to see the pilot boat coming out to the mouth of the river and getting the pilot off the ship. Always exciting to watch him (or her) casually step over from the ship to his boat.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have always enjoyed cruising down the Mississippi River. Lots of times people have come out on the levee and waved to us and other times they were doing fireworks as we went by. Travel time usually around 7-8 hours and after dark you can see all the navigation lights on the river and you might even be able to see the pilot boat coming out to the mouth of the river and getting the pilot off the ship. Always exciting to watch him (or her) casually step over from the ship to his boat.

Oh man I am so excited....We leave next Friday!!!! Can't wait to see NOLA and cruise down (up?) the Mississippi River. It will be DST by then so hopefully we'll get to see more of the shoreline. I'm just starting to get into birding and can't wait!!! thanks so much for all of your help and information.

Oh man I am so excited....We leave next Friday!!!! Can't wait to see NOLA and cruise down (up?) the Mississippi River. It will be DST by then so hopefully we'll get to see more of the shoreline. I'm just starting to get into birding and can't wait!!! thanks so much for all of your help and information.

Take your binoculars. Also I think this is a link that will give you a mile by mile description of what you can see on the bank as you cruise by. I usually print this out and have with me on the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1211622&highlight=river

Archived