Star Princess boarding in San Francisco

rcm95060

If you want to board really quickly, the best time on most ships, anywhere is about 3:00 p.m., especially if there is a normal 4-5 p.m. sailing time.

If it has a later or earlier sailing, adjust your boarding accordingly. For instance, we sailed out of San Juan last spring with an 11:00 p.m. departure time and boarded at 6:00 p.m. There was no line at all.

Once we boarded the QM2 in Brooklyn at about 3:20 for a 4:00 sailing due to horrid traffic on the way down from LGA. That was a little scary, but certainly fast. :p

Boarded the Star at the end of April in San Francisco. Two other cruise ships were in and the Embarcadero was completely stopped with traffic. We arrived at our staggered boarding time which was 11:30 am and everything went smoothly.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Totally agree with PunkiC...if you are looking for quickness...

We boarded the Star in April & were there approx. 10:30 am (we were doing the BVE with family) and it was a madhouse...people still disembarking / new passengers getting there early to try & be the first to board, so it was crazy....even doing the BVE we didn't get on board until 12:15 (it was supposed to be 11-3)

The Embarcadero / SF port is not the most passenger friendly port ;)

it all depends on what your wanting...a quick relaxing boarding experience (1:30 - 2ish pm) or crazy, hurry-up & wait to be on the ship earlier (11-12)

Hope you have a wonderful cruise - ours to Hawaii was FABULOUS ! :D

We sailed out of SF on April 13th (on the Star). Our scheduled boarding time was 12:30pm. We dropped off our travel companions at the Pier at about 11:30am...parked the car...checked in...and all of us were on board at 12:30pm. There was only one ship in port that day.

There were passengers from the prior sailing still loading up there vehicles, but it wasn't too bad. We have sailed out of Long Beach, Los Angeles, San Diego and Miami. It was more chaotic OUTSIDE of the Pier entrance, but just about the same as the other ports once we were inside checking in.

Boarding AND disembarcation were a little more crowded then at other ports, but it wouldn't stop me from sailing from SF again.

In March we sailed out of SF to Hawaii, and because there was another cruise ship docked at the same pier, they did the staggered boarding thing. It was a ZOO!! The limo driver could not even get to the curb to drop us and our luggage off, and we had to get out of it in the street with traffic all around us.

We arrived at the pier about 11:30, and were lucky to be able to find an available porter with a cart for our bags, but were not alowed to get in line for boarding yet, even though we were elite and platinum passengers. We walked to the nearby Pier 29, had beverages and an appetizer, and returned about 1PM. Then we were able to take advantage of Priority Boarding and proceed to check-in and boarding.

It was the first time we had to endure the staggered boarding, and it was not a nice way to start a cruise.

In March we sailed out of SF to Hawaii, and because there was another cruise ship docked at the same pier, they did the staggered boarding thing. It was a ZOO!! The limo driver could not even get to the curb to drop us and our luggage off, and we had to get out of it in the street with traffic all around us.

We arrived at the pier about 11:30, and were lucky to be able to find an available porter with a cart for our bags, but were not alowed to get in line for boarding yet, even though we were elite and platinum passengers. We walked to the nearby Pier 29, had beverages and an appetizer, and returned about 1PM. Then we were able to take advantage of Priority Boarding and proceed to check-in and boarding.

It was the first time we had to endure the staggered boarding, and it was not a nice way to start a cruise.

You tell them Mary Lou!!!:D

Is there a site were we can check how many ships will be in port the day we leave? This staggerd boarding sounds like a nightmare?

Thanks

SFport.com

Here is the link. http://www.sfport.com/index.aspx?page=157

On 3/16/13 the Grand is the only ship in port that day. Keep her in good shape as we are boarding the day you are getting off.

Thank you for all answering my question. I checked and found that there will be another ship in port the day we board....could be a nightmare.....I will keep my fingers crossed that things go smoothly

Rhana

If you are thinking of the Star cruise, the other ship is in transit, so again-no embark, debark.

CC's are great...thanks for the info. Big relief that we are the only ship in port, makes it much easier.

And CL-JW I promise not to leave the ship a mess...will put away all the dishes etc.

This is our 3rd Princess cruise to Hawaii but our first out of SF...since I am a native of SF (now living in Chicago) its perfect...we are coming our a week early to catch up with my family. Can't wait

Belle,

I am trying to understand port schedule (I am new to this) I don't

really now how to tell if ship is boarding or just visiting. We are sailing on October 21 and it looks like a ship is in port...not sure how to tell if visiting or boarding? Sorry new to this.

Rhana

Belle,

I am trying to understand port schedule (I am new to this) I don't

really now how to tell if ship is boarding or just visiting. We are sailing on October 21 and it looks like a ship is in port...not sure how to tell if visiting or boarding? Sorry new to this.

Rhana

If you look at the last column in the schedule, it lists type. It will say full turn, transit, load...

Full turn means everybody off, everybody on. Transit is just a port call.

gcvt,

I would love to hear about your boarding. As I said I am new to this. What is BVE? Probably a silly question, but if I don't ask I will never know LOL

BVE is "Bon Voytage Experience." It is meant to introduce people to a cruise ship without taking a cruise.

For $39 (booked in advance like a regular cruise and limited to no more than about 35 people) on some embarkation days in some USA ports, perople may come about the ship first (usually by 11 AM), have a tour of the ship, a photo, lunch with wine in the dining room, and even take a swim if they wish. Must be off the shipby late afternoon or about an hour before sailing, whichever comes first.

It is an ideal way to reward someone who is driving you to the pier or freinds/relatives who are not cruising with you. You get to board early when they do.

However, one can sign up for BVE without knowing anyone sailing that day.

The $39 can be applied to a cruise booked within a period of time (2 months?) after the BVE.

caribill and gcvt,

Thank you for telling me about BVE. Marilyn and I just signed up our husbands. Now we get to board early and not worry about long lines. YIPPEEE thanks again

Rhana

Great.

And while your husbands are aboard they can fill out the form at the Future Cruise Consultant's area to purchase Future Cruise Certificates ($100 each which would be their deposits on a future cruise).

Archived