Car rental in St Johns

AVIS is a 2 or 3 min walk from the Ship, Hertz and Budget are about a 5 min walk from the ship.

Avis

4 Water Street, Saint John, NB E2L 4Z8 , Canada

506-634-7750

Sun 10:00AM-02:00PM; Mon-Fri 08:00AM-05:30PM; Sat 09:00AM-02:00PM

Hertz

One Market Square 1 Market Square Saint John , New Brunswick E2L 4Z6

Canada Phone: 506-696-2210 Hours of Operation: Mo-Fr 08:00-17:00, Sa 09:00-13:00, Su 10:00- 14:00

Budget Rent-A-Car

527 Rothesay Avenue & at the Saint John Airport & Chipman Hill

PO Box 716, St A

Saint John, NB

E2L 4B3

Tel: (506) 633-3434

Toll Free 1-800-268-8900

Fax: (506) 632-0907

Saint John has alot of Historic buildings, there is the Old city Market, which is filled with fresh fruits and veg. and crafts and things, very good spot for lunch.

Reversing Falls is cool. if you can catch it at low tide it is very interesting. If you know the day you are going to be here, I can find out what the best time to see it would be.

also Martello Tower, which is a Fort built for the War of 1812, very nice spot, to get pictures of the uptown area with the cruise ship in front of it.

Harbour Passage is a new walking trail that has been built, that takes you along the inner harbour, and has look outs with the history of the harbour and Saint John.

There is also the New Brunswick Museum, there is a Whale Exhibit, and a very large exhibit on the History of New Brunswick.

There is a bus tour that leaves from Barbours General Store (19th century Store same side of street as cruise ship docks, across from AVIS) that is 2hrs long and is only $11 US i believe, and it gives you a better tour then most of the Cruise tours offered.

It runs twice daily, once in the morning and again in the afternoon.

9:45 AM & 12:45 AM Local Time (1hr ahead of ship time Eastern)

It is first come first serve, but is not advertised to the Cruise Ship passengers, you have to find it on your own, the bus holds probably 35 - 40 people. I have gone on it and its great

It visits Reversing Falls, Loylast Burial Grounds, City Market, Martello Tower, Fort Howe, Fort LaTour.

Saint John is very walkable. the only way you would need to rent a car is if you wanted to go outside the city.

St. Martins is a 45 min drive

St. Andrews is 1h15 i believe

Tourism Saint John http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/

New Brunswick Museum http://www.nbm-mnb.ca/

Carleton Martello Tower http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/nb/carleton/index_e.asp

Old City Market http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/fil...n=13&screen=180

Harbour Passage http://www.sjwaterfront.com/english...ur_passsage.asp

If you need anything else. let me know

SNJB

Question about the bus tour that leaves from Barbours General Store

Can you get off to look around or is it just a viewing tour?

Where do you get tickets? is there a booth or go in the store?

I will be in St.Johns on Monday 8/29.

When is the best time to veiw low ad then high tides?

Thanks for your help

There is a Display board advertising the Bus Tour outside the store, you wait there and pay the bus driver when you get onto the Bus. They only take cash. Canadian or American.

They do allow you out at Reversing Falls, City Market, and Martello Tower, as well as the Burial ground. Each place is about 10-15min off the bus.

The fare does include admission into Martello Tower which is around $4.00 i believe

The most exciting time to see Reversing Falls on Aug. 29 is at 2:55 PM local time that is the peak of low tide when the rapids are roughiest. So i would suggest taking the afternoon bus tour that day.

High tide when the Bay and River are flowing backwards is at 8:45 AM.

So you will see a major difference in the water where you are docking between the time you arrive and when you leave.

there is no fear of missing your boat if you take the afternoon bus, if it is getting close to the time when you need to get back to the boat, I think the driver will drop you off ride at the terminal.

• 2 months later...

SJNB - many thanks for all the valuable info you've provided! I printed it out because we also had questions about what to do in St John's. The bus tour sounds exactly what we were looking for. Our cruise arrives in port at 9 AM Oct 11 - is there a website where I could get the tide info?

It's Saint John, New Brunswick...St. John's is in Newfoundland :)

On Oct. 11th, Low Tide is at 12:30 Local Time. This would be the best time to see Reversing Falls. The Rapids are most firece during low tide.

There is a bus tour that leaves from Barbours General Store (19th century Store same side of street as cruise ship docks, across from AVIS) that is 2hrs long and is only $11 US i believe, and it gives you a better tour then most of the Cruise tours offered. ....................

This sounds like a great deal, but it ceases operation on Oct 6, and we will be in St. John on Oct 11. Too bad.

I believe they sometimes still offer the tour on days when cruise ships are in port

you can Tel: (506) 658-4700 and verify if they will be offering the bus tour the day you will be in Saint John.

The peak time for viewing Reversing Fall the day you are in port is at 7:30am or 7pm. Will you be visiting on the Queen Mary II or Golden Princess that day?

if you were visiting on the Queen Mary II i would suggest taking the afternoon tour and you could see the Water reversing, and then maybe take a taxi and go back at 7pm and see the water when it is most active. (low tide) as it shows the boat does not leave untill 10pm

If you are on the Golden Princess you will not see the the most active time on either the morning or afternoon tour, you will get to see the water Reversing if you go on the afternoon tour. if you take the morning tour there will still be some rapids in the water, but not as many as when the tide is at it's lowest point.

There is a very nice walkway called "Harbour Passage" that goes from the dock over to almost where reversing falls is. (Next phase will take it to the Falls) but there are side walks the rest of the way.

It would probably be a 30-40 min walk. There are look-outs and information boards with the history of the harbour along the trail. one the trail ends just stay on the sidewalk and you will end up at the Reversing Falls look out and information centre and resturant

This is a picture of harbour passage

Harbourpsg.jpg.4fec87e9abac0cb4d072b6990da41517.jpg

SJNB Thank you for the information. I will be on the Golden Princess and we can take a taxi as there are 4 of us. I'm guessing from what you posted that we should go in the afternoon. I believe we have to be back on the ship by 4:30. What else is there to do in the port. Any great place to eat? I and my friend love seafood although my husband and girlfriend will not eat it. One week until we leave for NY and we can't wait!

There is the New Brunswick Museum http://www.nbm-mnb.ca/ ,

Old City Market http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/fil...n=13&screen=180

Saint John has alot of historic buildings and such. be sure to visit the Old Loylast Burial Grounds. It is very nice. as well take a walk along Prince Willian Street.

If you are looking for a good Sea Food resturant that also sells other types of food, you could try Billy's Sea Food it is a sit down resturant in the Old City Market. http://www.billysseafood.com/

Because of the Queen Mary 2 being in you will be docking at Long Warft Terminal.

HarbourPassageMap.jpg

you will be docking where you see the piece of land sticking out on the top left hand side of the picture. the blue trail will take you right into the uptown area of Saint John.

Here is another map of the rest of the uptown. this one continues where the other leaves off. Most Attractions are marked

sg_map.jpg

If there is anything else you need let me know.

• 2 months later...
AVIS is a 2 or 3 min walk from the Ship, Hertz and Budget are about a 5 min walk from the ship.

Avis

4 Water Street, Saint John, NB E2L 4Z8 , Canada

506-634-7750

Sun 10:00AM-02:00PM; Mon-Fri 08:00AM-05:30PM; Sat 09:00AM-02:00PM

Hertz

One Market Square 1 Market Square Saint John , New Brunswick E2L 4Z6

Canada Phone: 506-696-2210 Hours of Operation: Mo-Fr 08:00-17:00, Sa 09:00-13:00, Su 10:00- 14:00

Budget Rent-A-Car

527 Rothesay Avenue & at the Saint John Airport & Chipman Hill

PO Box 716, St A

Saint John, NB

E2L 4B3

Tel: (506) 633-3434

Toll Free 1-800-268-8900

Fax: (506) 632-0907

My ship was in Saint John on a Sunday. Please be aware that both Avis and Hertz were closed. Budget opened at 9 am. That was too late for us to rent a car since my ship arrived at 7 am. When I rent a car I usually travel further and two hours lost is precious time.

Archived