Jeep/Car Rental in PV

Baddoggy

When you exit the ship you must go into a round building. Dollar Reant a Car is in that building. You can prebook online at their website. Another choice is to walk through that building outside. The row of buildings closest to the exit of the terminal has a local rental company with vw's, jeeps etc.

I always rent a vehicle. There is only one gas station in town. Make sure you ask where it is. It is only about 5 minutes from the dock entrance.

From the dock you can turn right and drive into town along the malecon, see the cathedral downtown, go over Rio Caule, Gringo Gulch, drive approximately 20 minutes to Mismaloya Beach, Le Kliff restaurant and many other siteseeing choices. Another route is to turn left out of the dock and go into the country side. Go through the armed barracades (Looks scary but is safe) to Nuevo Vallarta (about 25 minutes) which is comprised of several resort hotels and condos. The beach is great here. Some hotels will charge a fee and some do not for use of their facilities.

I will be in PV next week and have my car reserved with Dollar.

Steve Hayes

I was looking to rent a car/jeep and was wondering which major car rental company has pickups available by the dock in PV?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on where to go?

Thanks in advance.:p

Just to clarify, there are tons of gas stations in Vallarta. All PeMex. One right at the begining of the Marina/dock entrance, one just north before the airport, one in downtown before Ley's grocery store, one on the Libramineto, two on Fco. Villa, one next to the Los Veranos Canopy tour office on the south side, another one in the hotel zone, and plenty on the road north to Nuevo and Bucerias. Most are within two to five kilometers of each other.

I only want to clarify so that someone does not think they will run out of gas or they are hard to find.

A couple of tips. The attendant fills your car. You tell them how much in pesos and type. Watch them to make sure they started off at zero. Be sure to tip them a few pesos. (I usually do 5 pesos for 100 to 200 pesos)

Also, if you get in an accident and there are any injuries, your fault or not, you and the other driver go to jail until the judge decides or your lawyer gets you out. Also, it is Napoleanic law, guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Be sure you know the road rules here, how and where to exit and turn, as well as have insurance. Your insurance back home does not cover you!

In town many of the roads are one way, and barely labeled. Be sure to have an idea of where you are going as you need to concentrate on your driving.... can be tricky for the first timers.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I meant to say that there was one gas station at the entrance to the dock - duh!! I was in pre-cruise mode when I did the post above. Just got back from the Diamond Princess yesterday. I always take the Mexican insurance- I thought it was mandatory anyway. I would rather be safe then sorry. The pricing online for Dollar with insurance and taxes was $38.50 USD. If you walk off the ship and rent it was $65 USD. They have moved from inside the round building to the very first stall as you walk off the ship. In my case they opened at 8:30 am (7:30 am ship time).

Steve Hayes

Just to clarify, there are tons of gas stations in Vallarta. All PeMex. One right at the begining of the Marina/dock entrance, one just north before the airport, one in downtown before Ley's grocery store, one on the Libramineto, two on Fco. Villa, one next to the Los Veranos Canopy tour office on the south side, another one in the hotel zone, and plenty on the road north to Nuevo and Bucerias. Most are within two to five kilometers of each other.

I only want to clarify so that someone does not think they will run out of gas or they are hard to find.

A couple of tips. The attendant fills your car. You tell them how much in pesos and type. Watch them to make sure they started off at zero. Be sure to tip them a few pesos. (I usually do 5 pesos for 100 to 200 pesos)

Also, if you get in an accident and there are any injuries, your fault or not, you and the other driver go to jail until the judge decides or your lawyer gets you out. Also, it is Napoleanic law, guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Be sure you know the road rules here, how and where to exit and turn, as well as have insurance. Your insurance back home does not cover you!

In town many of the roads are one way, and barely labeled. Be sure to have an idea of where you are going as you need to concentrate on your driving.... can be tricky for the first timers.

Archived