Riviera Deck cabins on Sun

AuzzieCruiser

I am just wondering whether anybody has stayed down on Riviera Deck on the Pacific Sun. Is it a quiet place? Do you feel a bit too close to the water when looking out the window?

We're looking at a cruise in September for 9 nights, and thought that someone here may have an idea of what it is like down there!!

Yawn... better got to bed now. Gotta be up @ 4am to catch my 7am flight to Melbourne.:rolleyes:

I would be interested to know as well.

On our cruise on the Sun we were on Empress deck which was the top-most deck of cabins. I wonder if we fared better in the rough waters than the people down below or if it was vice versa? :confused:

Our next cruise will be a cheapie 4 berth cabin, so likely to be the lower decks. Wonder if it's a huge difference from up top.

I've always sailed on the top decks but speaking to those on the lower decks, I have heard there tends to be less movement. The downsides of the lower decks are twofold.

One is that it is a long way to everywhere so you are forced to wait for the lifts rather than just running up one or 2 flights of stairs. Remember all the dining rooms, bars and outside areas on Sun are above Empress Deck.

The other downside is that as it attracts the cheapies it can be quite noisy. On our Sky cruise, security were apparently constantly down on the lower decks, trying to stop drunks running up and down the halls at all hours, banging on doors etc. :mad: One person I spoke to said it had kind of ruined their holiday. Maybe the extra security following the Brimble inquest has minimised this.

I reckon that Jessica is pretty much on the ball. There does seem to be less movement on lower decks. We moved up to a suite on Deck 10 on the Sky and really noticed the difference in movement.

We have always booked on the cheapie fares and the last cruise was the first time that we were actually on the lowest deck. Usually have been lucky enough to score Deck 6. So they are not necessarily all on the lowest.

We book the "specials" and always expect to be on the lowest deck , but only once has this happended:D We were on Upper on the Sun, on the Sky my husband and I got the lowest deck, on the inside, didn't seem any different movement wise. We actually liked it because for the shore tours they used this deck, just near our cabin so we didin't have to walk far!! That was when it was line up first in first off!!!

My opinion is once your in your cabin, you could be anywhere on the boat, and if you look at the layout of the Dawn, the restaurant, bars, pursers office and shops are only two decks up from the lowest deck, so if your cabins on the top deck you have four decks down to dinner!!! I'll be doing the stairs to work off the food:p

I was on the Riveria deck (near the front of the ship) on the Sun in September. We were in a 3 berth outside room. We were higher above the water than I thought we would be. Quite a nice view-the only time the water was too close was during our very rough first night. I have always heard that boats are more stable the lower you go. We were along way from the restaurants but we needed the exercise. We had no problems with noise-and I'm a very light sleeper! We had some groups around us but they did their partyning away from their cabins. Think of how much extra spending money you'll have if you choose the Riviera deck!! Have fun

aliflem

Hi cruiser.... I have cruised twice on Riviera deck. single inside cabin near the front. ( R 13) and it was very quiet.

some people celebrate a bit, though nowadays security gets on top of noise quickly for the sake of other passengers....

You would not be too far from water, but remember whenever there is rough weather, they cover up the portholes anyway.

wishing you a great trip.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

Archived