Packing for a 9 & 11 year old...

NurseMarla

This will be the first cruise we have taken our children on & I am wondering how much others typically pack for a 5 night cruise. As it stands, I have 6 daytime outfits plus swim trunks & 5 evening outfits (mainly to eat in the main dining room). Is this too much?

It depends, I think, whether your kids are boys or girls. (I'm guessing boys from the swim trunks reference?) I doubt I would pack a new outfit for dinner every night for boys that aren't especially interested in fashion. (Mine weren't) We took our boys on the first cruise that they remember at ages 5 and 7 and we recycled dinner outfits. Actually, most nights they preferred to have dinner by the pool and then go back to the kids' club while we had an adult dinner out. YMMV. They only had dinner in the MDR one or two nights of a 14 night cruise. If it were me packing I'd pack two dinner outfits, the 6 daytime outfits and two pairs of swim trunks each (since putting wet ones on isn't fun).

Thank you for your responses!

Yes, they are boys. :) I do plan on reusing the shorts for the evening outfits. They are actually very excited about getting "dressed" for dinner as of right now. Especially for elegant night. Of course, this may change after we are on the ship! I also have 3 swim trunks in their plethora of clothes. I did have 2, but then the "what if something happens" kicked in & added another! :/

I have two boys too :). I pack one daytime outfit, a shirt for every night and 2-3 pairs of neutral coloured dress pants for each child. We reuse pants, but often the shirts are not in good shape after going to the kids club!

Don't forget socks to go with the dress pants ;)

I have 2 boys also...for a 7 day cruise I pack 2 swim trunks and rash guards, crocs, 8 daytime outfits, a pair of khaki pants, a pair of navy pants, 4 polo shirts, pajamas....I used to pack dress shoes but now they just wear their sneakers with the dress pants. They can wear shorts in the MDR so I usually throw in some dressier plaid shorts as well.

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

Thanks everyone! I am so worried I am over packing! Seems like a lot of clothes for a 5 day cruise! I imagine they will spend a lot of time swimming, but I want them to be able to change during the day if they decide to. I also have a few neutral pairs of shorts for each with different tops to wear to dinner as well as a pair of dress pants for each for elegant night. I guess if we do over pack, at least it will be a lesson learned for the next time that we take them!

Our 16 & 19 year old sons are going as well. I told them they needed something for the day & something for dinner every night as well. I imagine they can get by with a bit less as they won't be near as messy as the little ones.

I thought I over packed on our first cruise last year, but actually ran out of clothes for my kids. Went through 2 sets of clothes per day(sometimes more if our daughter wanted to change after dinner for kid's club). A lot of stuff ended up being wet from wearing wet bathing suit underneath, sweating(It was August in the Caribbean), or just seemed dirty from being in port all day. They did re-wear some shorts that seemed fine, but shirts were an issue for us. Packing extra-extra for our cruise this month. Luckily kid's clothes are not too big!

I thought I over packed on our first cruise last year, but actually ran out of clothes for my kids. Went through 2 sets of clothes per day(sometimes more if our daughter wanted to change after dinner for kid's club). A lot of stuff ended up being wet from wearing wet bathing suit underneath, sweating(It was August in the Caribbean), or just seemed dirty from being in port all day. They did re-wear some shorts that seemed fine, but shirts were an issue for us. Packing extra-extra for our cruise this month. Luckily kid's clothes are not too big!

I understand! It seems like I am packing sooooo much for them!

Archived