What do they do with unsold rooms on the last day?

tallyho8

I have checked cruise sites and frequently seen 6 to 12 empty rooms the day before a cruise and the prices are sometimes higher than they were a few months ago on all the web sites. Does anyone know what the cruise lines do with the rooms the last day? Do they give them to travel agents or employees? Or do they just sail with them empty?

I live in a port city and was wondering if there was any way I could get a discount on empty rooms the last day. Can you call the cruise line and make an offer?

Thanks for any info. :)

You used to be able to do that,,,we did it a lot in the past,,just show up at the port with luggage in hand, and if there were empty cabins, they'd sell 'em to you for a song. Not so today, because of the regulations after 9-11. Now they have to have all your info, passport number, etc, a certain number of hours before the sailing, (I've seen a number of different opinions on the exact number) so that they can assure that you're not a terrorists. It's a sad situation, but I guess they sail with these cabins empty, or use them as spares in case of a problem with another cabin, or whatever.

"SKY"

I have checked cruise sites and frequently seen 6 to 12 empty rooms the day before a cruise and the prices are sometimes higher than they were a few months ago on all the web sites. Does anyone know what the cruise lines do with the rooms the last day? Do they give them to travel agents or employees? Or do they just sail with them empty?

I live in a port city and was wondering if there was any way I could get a discount on empty rooms the last day. Can you call the cruise line and make an offer?

Thanks for any info. :)

Just call the day before...........

Just call the day before...........

Have you had any luck with this. I was asking my PVP yesterday and she said they wouldnt let me offer less and discount the few cabins left over. I can get to the port in 5 hours and takes no time to pack, so Id sure do it.

Seems like TSA and HSA are interested in making air travel easier and quicker for frequent fliers with those "Trusted Traveler" cards. Imagine if they extended the same to cruisers, you could be "pre-approved" security wise to travel and you could show up on cruise day, if they have a spot you could purchase it and they could notify authorities that a "Trusted Cruiser" joined the manifest on embarkation day....seems like system they should develop ;)

You can book the morning of but you have to do it through Carnival. Sometimes it will be a deal but most of time it is not. The port will not have your information so they will have to call into Miami to get it. They also will not have a S&S card ready for you. They will have to have one made on the ship and brought out to you or give you a temp card so that you can go to Guest Services to have one made.

Dave

You can book the day of a cruise already. My PVP said she could do it, even though it would be more extra work on her part. They only do the manifest 90 minutes before you cruise.

My complaint is the lack of discounting, even the last 24 hours that Iv been able to find.

My thoughts exactly. Of course someone would have to foot the cost of managing a database, and lets face it, there just aren't as many cruisers as fliers. Before last February I lived 20 minutes away from the Port of Galveston :(

Seems like TSA and HSA are interested in making air travel easier and quicker for frequent fliers with those "Trusted Traveler" cards. Imagine if they extended the same to cruisers, you could be "pre-approved" security wise to travel and you could show up on cruise day, if they have a spot you could purchase it and they could notify authorities that a "Trusted Cruiser" joined the manifest on embarkation day....seems like system they should develop ;)

The port parking lots would look like a Wal Mart parking lot with people camped out in RV's on Saturday night...:p

You can book the morning of but you have to do it through Carnival. Sometimes it will be a deal but most of time it is not. The port will not have your information so they will have to call into Miami to get it. They also will not have a S&S card ready for you. They will have to have one made on the ship and brought out to you or give you a temp card so that you can go to Guest Services to have one made.

Dave

I also wasnt on the manifest with a last minute on RCL cruiselines. Caused a big of extra walking, as the porters wouldnt take my suitcase to check in, until I went to check in, then had to go back and check my bag my sister had to sit with that was too big to be allowed into the area you check in at ....the cabin steward also wasnt expecting us and didnt have our names.

Not sure it would be possible to book the day before a sailing... in any event it's unlikely there are any unsold rooms that late.

Yes, they reduce the prices as much as they have to in order to sell them. But no, they will not offer a drastically lower price the day before sailing. More like a couple of weeks, and they only lower it enough to get someone interested. They need time to do that so doing it the day before sailing makes no sense.

Not sure it would be possible to book the day before a sailing... in any event it's unlikely there are any unsold rooms that late.

Yes, they reduce the prices as much as they have to in order to sell them. But no, they will not offer a drastically lower price the day before sailing. More like a couple of weeks, and they only lower it enough to get someone interested. They need time to do that so doing it the day before sailing makes no sense.

If wennfred and others can book the day OF the cruise .... and my PVP as I mentioned above said she could book me the day of sailing ....of course its possible, if you live close enough.

How much time would it take to lower the price the last 24 hours. I think they dont do it because they dont want to deal with it... not because it is too time consuming. They dont want a bunch waiting for the last minute sales?? Id wait if I knew they lowered them the last 24 hours.

I was offered a 3 night cruise for $99 a week or two ago last minute on HA.

Steve

They dont want a bunch waiting for the last minute sales?? Id wait if I knew they lowered them the last 24 hours.

I don't hear too many people talking about last minute deals, so I guess it is not that common, but apparently possible.

I totally agree... if people could save substantial amounts of money by waiting until the last minute, a lot of bargain-seekers would do that... and that would be a very bad thing on a lot of levels. So definitely not something the cruise lines want to do or pubilcise.

I don't hear too many people talking about last minute deals, so I guess it is not that common, but apparently possible.

I totally agree... if people could save substantial amounts of money by waiting until the last minute, a lot of bargain-seekers would do that... and that would be a very bad thing on a lot of levels. So definitely not something the cruise lines want to do or pubilcise.

Iv waited until last minute to book, but only the flu cruise (3 days before it left) because of a deal.

The RCL cruise I booked last minute was because my Dad was in the hospital having a operation, and Im the only driver. I waited until after he called me to come get him, doc said he could go home to book. RCL sat me with other last minute bookers. one guy did say his TA got $50 pp off the price. He said he books last minute to gamble and they probably have a record he spends a ton on the ship is why they gave it to him...so its possible they give a discount, I believed him... jetskier said above he has heard of a last minute deal offered ... but not that common, usually have to pay whatever the site says is the price.

The port parking lots would look like a Wal Mart parking lot with people camped out in RV's on Saturday night...:p

$20 bucks a day for cars. RV's got to be 3 times that. Slightly higher than Walmarts parking lot!!:D

... but not that common, usually have to pay whatever the site says is the price.

I know, there must be a gazillion retired people out there wanting to pay "discount" prices.

Just think if the airlines sold empty airline seats that way... would not be good for them, but frugal flyers would love it.

Now we are talking bout a whole different story....Who's down for the pre-cruise tailgate party? The only way to get coveted parking spots close to the terminal and to make sure you are there to be first in line for the first embarkation number! :D I'd do it, you could even take your grill straight from the RV to your Aft balcony right?? :p

Archived