Formal Night Attire

teacher1977

While I know this is not formalwear according to Emily Post, in the interest of saving some luggage space, is it okay for my husband to wear dress pants, dress shirt, a tie, and no sports coat or suit on the formal nights? We have anytime dining. Would we be missing a special meal if we just didn't go to the formal night meals? This is on the Sapphire Princess.

On Alaskan cruises things seem a little less formal than on other cruises- maybe because you don't get sweaty during the day and really need to change for dinner. On Princess Alaskan cruises you will see everything from formals and cocktail dresses, tuxes and suits to sport coats, pants suits and much more casual things. As long as he wears a shirt with a collar there will be no problem. If you walk on deck after dinner he may wish that he had brought a sport coat! It can get pretty cool in the evenings, at least it was when we were there. Just have fun and don't worry about it.

We went B2B, but on different ships. First Princess Diamond then HAL Zaandam. HAL folks took formal night pretty seriously, but Princess not so much. A shirt and tie is very acceptable, and for you, a regular length skirt, or even nice slacks is fine. It's YOUR cruise. Do what you enjoy!

I would post this on the Princess Board because formal on night in Alaska is really no different than in other places so to me this is cruise line specific.

In the end, you both have to decide what you prefer.

I would go with what Princess recommends for evening attire.

Keith

While I know this is not formalwear according to Emily Post, in the interest of saving some luggage space, is it okay for my husband to wear dress pants, dress shirt, a tie, and no sports coat or suit on the formal nights? We have anytime dining. Would we be missing a special meal if we just didn't go to the formal night meals? This is on the Sapphire Princess.

They won't turn him away from the dining room dressed that way. I saw much worse. He will be in the minority, since most men were in suits, but if that doesn't bother him, go for it. I make my husband wear his suit, but we don't have to fly so packing isn't as big an issue for us.

Archived