1st time cruiser with unadventurous husband

86Mustang

Going on our first cruise in Nov with my wonderful husband whose idea of fun is sleeping late and watching T.V. He doesn't like to try new things, where I will try anything at least once. We will be on the Carnival Triumph out of Galveston, visiting Progreso and Cozumel. Booked a balcony on the Panorama deck, where I hope to at least coax him out to the pool. He doesn't mind if I go off by myself. Any suggestions of things that might tempt him to leave the room, much less the ship? This is his vacation, he only gets one week a year. I get quite a bit more. Have promised to let him do things his way, but hope he can be convinced to have a little adventure.

Take your highlighter for your daily activity sheet they put in your room. High light the things you are interested in and then hand it to him and say, look this over....what do you think. You never know, something might sound interesting to him.

As he mingles with others he may find that cruising is really nice and if you want to swim, he can sit by the pool and read or nap.

I wish you luck. It is hard to get others to do what they do not want, but im betting that he will enjoy the balcony with maybe some coffee or a drink (which ever he prefers)

Going on our first cruise in Nov with my wonderful husband whose idea of fun is sleeping late and watching T.V. He doesn't like to try new things, where I will try anything at least once. We will be on the Carnival Triumph out of Galveston, visiting Progreso and Cozumel. Booked a balcony on the Panorama deck, where I hope to at least coax him out to the pool. He doesn't mind if I go off by myself. Any suggestions of things that might tempt him to leave the room, much less the ship? This is his vacation, he only gets one week a year. I get quite a bit more. Have promised to let him do things his way, but hope he can be convinced to have a little adventure.

My husband was like this and loved cruising. He always worked so hard that I enjoyed seeing him have a week to just relax and do nothing. Nothing pleased him more than to have a great lunch followed up by a nap. The plus side was he would then stay up later and we could have a great time.

Give him a couple of days and my guess is that he'll be getting his "second wind" and be ready to join in the fun.

Have a great cruise!

What does he enjoy doing? Is he interested in history? You might get him involved with planning shore excursions.

Go to Carnival website and print out some information about shore excursions for those ports. Give them to him and ask what he thinks about them. We have been to both ports of call. There are some great things to do there.

What does he like to do?

I know you say sleep and TV, but there must be something. What does he do with his friends or family? With you? Certainly you didn't just watch tv on your first date?

However, being that he gets only this 1 week off, let him have some R&R. There are tons of activities you can do without him.

I feel your pain. (LOL) I've been married for 40 years to a guy who spent a week on a cruise balcony reading (and I am not making this up) "The Punic Wars" followed by a real page-turner "Viruses, Plagues and Peoples."

If he's happy, I'm happy. :)

The great thing about a cruise, is that you have the option to do different things without being too far from each other.

Have you thought about buying him a leash and collar? It is quite common to see men on a cruise being led by their wives :)

We've never cruised Carnival, but there must be a bar on one of the top decks. Ask him to come up there during the day, because the view is wonderful. Be sure to attend the First Timer's reception. On our first Princess cruise, they told us of some nice hideaway lounges to try. A balcony room is a good choice if he's planning to spend a lot of time in the room, because of those floor to ceiling windows.

Getting one week off a year isn't enough to recharge someone's batteries, so to speak, maybe he is tired just thinking about running around during his week off? Can you ask him to think about picking one or two excursions that will stretch his legs and get some fresh air? Ones that are only a few hours long so he has the rest of the day to relax the way he wants to?

Some ports have plenty of places to visit within walking distance (or water taxi) of the ship. You can always start off slow. Ask him if he would be agreeable to try that. He would be able to sleep in, visit, then return to the ship and relax the rest of the day.

Enjoy your vacation, either way you are going to have a great time :).

If I had only one weeks vacation and my DH got "quite a bit more" I would also want to enjoy it on my own terms. If I were you I would leave him the daily cruise paper with what I plan on doing highlighted and ask him to take a look at it and highlight in a different color anything that he would like to do either with or without me. I would also bring a dry erase board to help coordinate meeting times for meals etc.. I would keep my "promise" and "let him do things his way".

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Your husband sounds exactly like my husband! His idea of a perfect day is watching the Weather Channel (what a suprise, that's what he's doing right now!). He's already asked me if the ship has the Weather Channel. I told him to go up on the sundeck and if it's wet then it might be raining!

I'm taking him on his first cruise next year. He's not big on swimming, doesn't drink, and doesn't read. But when we go on vacation about once every 5 or 6 years, he lets me plan everything. But I also make sure that I throw in a couple of things that I might not want to do but that I know he will enjoy and I do them anyway.

It took me years to even get him to try a cruise. He always says that if he wanted to be on a ship then he would have joined the Navy instead of Air Force. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he has enough of a good time that he'll agree to go again. And I'm starting him out in a suite to increase those chances!;)

The weather channel is not available on the ship. BUT, he can take a rock to check out the weather.

If the rock is wet, it's raining.

If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.

If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.

If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.

If the rock is not visible, it is foggy.

If the rock is white, it is snowing.

If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.

If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.

If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.

If the rock is under water, you missed the 7 short and one long blast of the horn.

If the rock is warm, it is sunny.

If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.

If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.

If the rock has white splats on it, watch out for birds.

The weather channel is not available on the ship. BUT, he can take a rock to check out the weather.

If the rock is wet, it's raining.

If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.

If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.

If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.

If the rock is not visible, it is foggy.

If the rock is white, it is snowing.

If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.

If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.

If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.

If the rock is under water, you missed the 7 short and one long blast of the horn.

If the rock is warm, it is sunny.

If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.

If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.

If the rock has white splats on it, watch out for birds.

I almost bought one of those weather gauges at a shop while traveling!

I'm the "boring" one in our relationship. My DH will try anything. That's why I love cruises. If he want to take off on a catamaran or something, I can wave to him from the shore. If he wants to rock climb, he can do that while I'm playing trivia. But, we can meet up and do some activities like shows, together.

He may want to do some of the "sight seeing" type tours. One of my favorites was a glass bottom boat tour. The fish were beautiful and I was in the shade! :cool:

I feel your pain. (LOL) I've been married for 40 years to a guy who spent a week on a cruise balcony reading (and I am not making this up) "The Punic Wars" followed by a real page-turner "Viruses, Plagues and Peoples."

If he's happy, I'm happy. :)

:D Funny Above ... But if it makes him happy that's what's important.

LuLu

~~~~

My DH & I have been on numerous cruises with family & friends. The last one was just us 2. We do some stuff together, and some apart. I let him pick what he likes and don't force him to do stuff he won't like. The last cruise was Alaska, which I booked for him. I would never have thought of going there, and I booked helicopter & floatplane tours, that I knew he'd love. I took them also, and had a great time. I'm not afraid to go to shows or trivia, or any other activities by myself. I enjoy meeting new people, & if he wants to relax in our room, that's fine with me. It's the best of both worlds. If we stayed at a hotel, I would be bored out of my mind, if all I had was the pool to keep me occupied.:)

Archived