Staying in LA 2/16- Beverly Hilton pre cruise- ideas???

jled

I just read some great posts for pre cruise ideas. I am flying into LAX 2/16 pre cruise- landing around 12:00 noon- It will be me ( 40), my DH ( 43) and my two teens- DD ( 18) and DS ( 16). We are staying at the Beverly Hilton- renting a car from LAX- for two nights- got a great deal from Hotwire and cruising on the Carnival Pride out of Long Beach on 2/18. I was also looking for some suggestions for what to do. We are NOT museum people and don't want to do Disney or theme parks- we've been to Florida many times. I would like to do Mann's chinese theater, maybe a star's home tour- can I just get a guide book?? or do I need to take atour? What else would be fun to do? I have half a day on Friday and all day on Saturday?? My cruise leaves on Sunday. How would I go about getting tickets to watch a TV show being taped?? What good studio tour could I do? I know all this info has been repeated over and over.... so don't hate me for asking again. I will be touring Long Beach when I get bak from the cruise since my flight home to NY doesn't leave until the day after my cruise returns- I have reservations at the Westin Long Beach for that- and am planning to take a shuttle to LAX early in the morning for my flight home on MOnday 2/26- thanks in advance for the suggestions.

You can walk outside Mann's theatre and look at the various footprints...then walk up and down the Walk of Fame. That probably won't take much time. Just be aware that Hollywood, outside of the residential area, tends to be on the seedy side. There's also a few shopping areas around there.

I found an interesting site about Hollywood (don't know if it had been mentioned on CC) that may give you some ideas:

http://www.hollywoodchamber.net/explore/tourism.asp

Here's a site that may give you info on tv tickets:

http://www.tvtickets.com/

There may not be much going on that weekend as it's President's Day Weekend. Often there's higher union rates so shows may be dark for that reason. Some other shows you can check the websites (www.ellen.tv for Ellen DeGeneres and www.nbc.com Jay Leno, for example) for the various shows and see if you can just call for will call tickets. Some other shows you need to write and you may be too late. Often you can be hanging around Farmers Market (Fairfax at Third), which is next door to CBS TV City and be offered tickets for a show taping that afternoon.

The major thing to remember is that the producers want to ensure that all seats are taken, so more tickets than capacity are given out. Even if you have a ticket (unless it's a VIP one), you're not guarantee a seat if you're at the end of the line. So this activity may eat up a bit of your time, especially if the taping takes a while (that's happened to us a few times).

I don't know if your teens would like this, but my family (including my 9-yr-old) enjoyed visiting the Long Beach Aquarium last summer. Seems like there's more things to do in LB than the last time I was there (like the 80s, I think).

I just read some great posts for pre cruise ideas. I am flying into LAX 2/16 pre cruise- landing around 12:00 noon- It will be me ( 40), my DH ( 43) and my two teens- DD ( 18) and DS ( 16). We are staying at the Beverly Hilton- renting a car from LAX- for two nights- got a great deal from Hotwire and cruising on the Carnival Pride out of Long Beach on 2/18. I was also looking for some suggestions for what to do. We are NOT museum people and don't want to do Disney or theme parks- we've been to Florida many times. I would like to do Mann's chinese theater, maybe a star's home tour- can I just get a guide book?? or do I need to take atour? What else would be fun to do? I have half a day on Friday and all day on Saturday?? My cruise leaves on Sunday. How would I go about getting tickets to watch a TV show being taped?? What good studio tour could I do? I know all this info has been repeated over and over.... so don't hate me for asking again. I will be touring Long Beach when I get bak from the cruise since my flight home to NY doesn't leave until the day after my cruise returns- I have reservations at the Westin Long Beach for that- and am planning to take a shuttle to LAX early in the morning for my flight home on MOnday 2/26- thanks in advance for the suggestions.

The best studio tour would be Universal Studio, but that is also a theme park. If you have a rental car you can get a guide book and drive around, but I think you would be disappointed. Most "stars" live in gated communities or if not, are not likely hanging around outside waiving at the people who drive by.

To get tickets to a show, contact the show. However, I doubt that you could get advance tickets on such short notice (less than a month). But call, who knows, you might be able to pull it off.

Go to a book store and get a book on things to do in Los Angeles. Its a big city with lots to do.

You could try the Aquarium of the Pacific which is near the Pride (see photo below). Frankly, I don't think much of the Queen Mary tour, however, if you get there early enough on Sunday, you can check in at the Queen Mary and then tour the Queen Mary at a reduced rate.

LongBeachportarea.jpg

Some notes and other ideas:

At the Beverly Hilton, you are only a couple of miles from the UCLA campus...Any interest in you or your kids seeing one of the world's greatest college campuses? From the hotel, exit onto Wilshire--Go left--to Westwood Boulevard...A right turn brings you right into the heart of Westwood Village--shopping restaurants, movie theaters...Keep going through Westwood and across LeConte and you enter into the UCLA campus...the Medical Center is immediately on your right...when you come to the loop at the end of Westwood Boulevard, you can park in the structure on your left...Pauley Pavilion is just a little further to the left...the heart of the campus is on your right...The first building you come to is Ackerman Union--with the bookstore and Students' Store--You can get all of the great UCLA "Bearwear" and other souvenirs...The main part of campus is out of the bookstore and up the hill--up either "Bruin Walk" or the Janss Steps...

Santa Monica Third Street Promenade is a great shopping/strolling/restaurant area...You go down Wilshire Blvd, across the 405 and a few miles further until you get to 3rd street...Ocean Avenue and Palisades Park are a couple of blocks further...The Santa Monica Pier is to your left...

Venice Beach is a highlight for many...though a little more going on in summer than in February...You'd take Ocean Avenue from Santa Monica south another mile or two and turn to the right at Venice Blvd or Washington Blvd...Whenever you see those clips from LA with girls in bikinis on roller skates, bicyclists, weightlifters, street performance artists and assorted nutcases all sharing the same space--that's Venice Beach...

Movie stars' homes? Yeah, some live in gated communities (trust me, I know...I live in one and have lots of showbiz neighbors)...but many don't...Those gated communities are mostly in the newer sections of town...places like Beverly Hills, the Hollywood Hills, Bel Air and Brentwood are largely accessable with few gates...But the stars' homes don't really look any different than anyone else's homes...and yes, as was mentioned before, they don't stand in the front yard and wave to tourists...

There is an old inside joke in LA about the guys standing on street corners selling "Maps to the Movie Stars' Homes"...Are they any good? I don't know...I've never bought one...You may also be able to pick up a copy at the newsstand on Cahuenga just south of Hollywood Boulevard (I think I've seen them there)...

Good luck...

In general some quick responses, but it would help a lot if you knew what exactly your kids were interested in?

Any specific themes, or TV Shows or Movies?

What do they like?

There are too many things and options available in LA to just give general advice that is going to work for everybody...

That being said...

Most TV shows won't be taping on the weekend, so that's out.

The only options or possibilities are on the Friday where you could get tickets to Jimmy Kimmel or Craig Ferguson, but your son is too young (under 18) to attend those anyway.

And nobody is taping anything on a holiday weekend.

Don't buy any Star Maps at all, they are useless in incorrect.

I'll check back in later, but a little more info and I can help with some specifics.

CJW

If we go to the Universal tour, do we have to go to the theme park?? Is the Warner Bros tour given on Saturdays. My flight lands around 12:00 noon on Friday, so most of my sightseeing is for Saturday. I like the idea of the Santa Monica Pier- is Malibu worth a drive and sightseeing- how far is it?? I really like the idea of the studio tour. All the show tapings I ahve seen have a 16 and over policy- is it strict- do they ask for photo id- My son will be 16 the following week ( 2/27) and he is 6'4" and looks much older. any show taping ideas that might work for later on Friday 2/16 after my flight lands?? My daughter has been to UCLA before, on a teen tour several years ago, so she really has no interest in touring it again. Maybe Venice beach??

If we go to the Universal tour, do we have to go to the theme park?? Is the Warner Bros tour given on Saturdays. My flight lands around 12:00 noon on Friday, so most of my sightseeing is for Saturday. I like the idea of the Santa Monica Pier- is Malibu worth a drive and sightseeing- how far is it?? I really like the idea of the studio tour. All the show tapings I ahve seen have a 16 and over policy- is it strict- do they ask for photo id- My son will be 16 the following week ( 2/27) and he is 6'4" and looks much older. any show taping ideas that might work for later on Friday 2/16 after my flight lands?? My daughter has been to UCLA before, on a teen tour several years ago, so she really has no interest in touring it again. Maybe Venice beach??

Unless things have changed, the WB tour is only M-F. As far as I know, IDs aren't checked on tapings, but then maybe things have changed for that too (when I was 17, a bunch of us high school kids got VIP passes for the Tonight Show as one of my classmate's father worked for the network, back when you needed to be an adult to get in...but if you look too young with a regular ticket...???)

As for Universal, I've gone there for a show in the past with friends and sneak past the tour -- I could do without "fake" earthquakes when I get the real thing from time to time. You can just skip the studio part and stay on the City Walk. It's like an outside mall with stores and restaurants. It's up a steep hill -- with expensive parking so make sure to get your stub validated. Of course, if you're a hardy soul, you can do what the natives do: park on Cahuenga and hike up.

If you decide to check out UCLA, there's no basketball game there (away games that weekend) so it'll be less crowded and you can actually check out Pauley if the door is open.

The Universal tour and theme park is all the same. One ticket and one entrance (you are not going to get a discount by skipping the rides). However, you can pick and choose once you are inside. So you could do just the tram tour and just the move shows (how to, stunts ...) and skip the rides (Back to the Future, Jurassic Park ...). Look into buying your tickets online. You can save some money and time.

You could do the Santa Monica Pier after you land, and before you go to Beverly Hills. Then do Universal Studios on Saturday. I'm not sure what you want to see in Malibu. I don't think it is worth the drive. From Santa Monica Pier to Malibu it would be about 13 miles. Might be worth it at sunset, as the entire drive (from the pier to Malibu) is along the coast.

If you want to see Venice Beach, then go there first, then about 5 miles up Pacific Coast Highway (aka PCH or Highway 1) is Santa Monica. To get to Venice Beach from LAX, take 405 (San Diego Frwy) north to the Marina Frwy (90) west. The Marina Frwy ends at Lincoln Blvd. which is Highway one. Take that north (right turn) to Washington Blvd. Turn left (west) and go until it ends (at Venice Pier). If your wheels start to get wet, back up, you've gone too far. Then drive north until you see something you like and find a parking spot and get out and look. Keep going north and you will come to the Santa Monica Pier.

To go directly to the Santa Monica Pier from LAX, take the 405 north to the Santa Monica Frwy (10). Go west on 10 until you pass under a tunnel. At this point the freeway has ended and you are now on PCH. Go north a short ways and you will see the pier.

If it is hot that day, good luck finding any parking.

To get to Beverly Hills from Santa Monica, go east on Santa Monica Blvd (which is just north of the 10 Frwy) past the 405 Frwy. This will take you through the heart of Beverly Hills (which comes right after Century City on your right and a golf course on your left).

Here is a link to the Universal Studios web site ...

http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/hollywood/website/offer_landing.html?__source=SAVINGS.REDIR

Do you like prime rib? If so, you can eat at Lawry's Restaurant (which is in Beverly Hills). However, you have to like prime rib. See, the menu consists of a thin cut of prime rib, a normal cut of prime rib and a thick cut of prime rib. It is really GOOD prime rib! Here is a link to Lawry's web site ...

http://www.lawrysonline.com/theprimerib_beverlyhills_gen_info.asp

I'm not sure what you want to see in Malibu. I don't think it is worth the drive. From Santa Monica Pier to Malibu it would be about 13 miles. Might be worth it at sunset, as the entire drive (from the pier to Malibu) is along the coast.

If you want to see Venice Beach, then go there first, then about 5 miles up Pacific Coast Highway (aka PCH or Highway 1) is Santa Monica. To get to Venice Beach from LAX, take 405 (San Diego Frwy) north to the Marina Frwy (90) west. The Marina Frwy ends at Lincoln Blvd. which is Highway one. Take that north (right turn) to Washington Blvd. Turn left (west) and go until it ends (at Venice Pier). If your wheels start to get wet, back up, you've gone too far. Then drive north until you see something you like and find a parking spot and get out and look. Keep going north and you will come to the Santa Monica Pier.

To go directly to the Santa Monica Pier from LAX, take the 405 north to the Santa Monica Frwy (10). Go west on 10 until you pass under a tunnel. At this point the freeway has ended and you are now on PCH. Go north a short ways and you will see the pier.

Actually, there is an easier and more scenic way to get to Venice Beach and Santa Monica from the airport...When leaving the Airport, look for the signs that say "Sepulveda Blvd.-North"...within a couple of blocks out of LAX, Lincoln Blvd. splits off of Sepulveda to your left...just before the In'n'Out Burger...Turn left and follow Lincoln Blvd. out of the airport area, past Marina Del Rey...and make a left onto Washington Blvd...or you could turn left on Fiji or Mindanao into the Marina, then a Right on Admiralty and follow the road around the Marina and a right ontyo Via Marina and left on Washington into Venice...The main road paralleling the coast through Venice is called Pacific Avenue...If you can't park near the Venice Pier on Washington, then turn up the coast on Pacific and look for a place to park...Muscle Beach and the Venice Pavilion are off Windward...

If you continue up either Pacific (which turns into Neilson, then into Ocean Avenue, you will come to Santa Monica...the Pier is off Ocean Avenue at Colorado Avenue...

If you try Cuizer's directions to the Santa Monica Pier, you will miss it!! Well, you'll see it in your rear view mirror, but you'll be past it...and will have to make a dangerous (and illegal ) U-turn on Pacific Coast Highway to get back to it...or else turn into a beach parking lot...the McClure Tunnel actually goes UNDER the entrance to the Pier...to get to the P

ier from the 10 Freeway, you have to exit at Fourth Street and turn left on Colorado...

The Santa Monica Place Mall is between Colorasdo and Broadway, Second and Fourth...The Third Street Promenade starts on the Broadway side of the Mall and continues three blocks to Wilshire...

Wilshire Boulevard also goes from Santa Monica to the heart of Beverly Hills, passing through the Veterans Administration property, the high rise buildings of Westwood Village, the Los Angeles Country Club and right into Beverly Hills...a more "scenic" route than Santa Monica Blvd.

The drive from Santa Monica "through" Malibu is actually 4 to 31 miles...Malibu itself is about a mile wide and 27 miles long...That "13" mile figure gets you to about "Downtown" Malibu...

From Santa Monica, take the "California Incline" (the ramp from Ocean Avenue down to PCH which starts at California Avenue--one block north of Wilshire)...About 4 miles up, you will hit Sunset Blvd.--Gladstone's Restaurant, a sort of local landmark is on your left...Two lights later, at Coastline Drive, you will pass the entance to the Getty Villa on your right...No, it is NOT that big house on the cliff--that's just someone's private residence...The Getty Villa is in the canyon, back in the hills from PCH...J.Paul Getty's actual house is on the hill hidden behind the museum...(Next door to that is my parents' house!! Yup, I really did grow up with

J. Paul Getty as a neighbor...and to think he didn't leave me a thing in his will!)

About 8 or 9 miles further up, you will come to "Downtown Malibu"...the "Malibu Colony", where a lot of rich people and movie stars live, is behind gates to your left...You cannot see any of their houses from PCH...

Soon after, just past Malibu Canyon Road, on your right, is Pepperdine University...

Past this point, things start getting more and more picturesque...

PCH turns inland a bit at Point Dume...then hits back to the coast at Zuma Beach (That's the "local" beach for my daughters growing up--where all the kids from my neighborhood hang out...It's a very wide white sand beach with smaller crowds than those closer to LA...Keep going, you'll get some stark scenery...Leo Carrillo Beach, County Line Beach...and eventually, Point Mugu...At this point, you know you are far from the city....

Just after Point Mugu, the coastal plain suddenly widens out and you are in Ventura County--the farms of

Camarillo, followed by Port Hueneme, then the city of Oxnard...then Ventura...then the coastal route narrows again and in another half an hour to 45 minutes, you're in Santa Barbara...

If you had lots of time and not other things to do...like if you were spending a week, I'd say make a day trip out of it...leave early in the morning and drive the two hours or so up to Santa Barbara...Walk around the town and shop and have lunch, visit the Mission...then continue over the Gaviota Pass or the San Marcos Pass into Solvang and the Santa Ynez Valley--the "Wine Country" from the movie "sideways"...tour a winery...then walk around Solvang...then have dinner at AJ Spurs in Buellton before returning after dinner to LA...But that's for a trip when you have an extra day...

Thanks for all the great replies to my questions. I plan to do the Venice Beach and Santa Monica Pier on Friday, my plane arrives around 12:00 noon, and Universal Studios on Saturday. Thanks for the great directions.. I purchased two for one Universal coupons on Ebay. Has anyone else ever bought these coupons? It was pretty cheap so I figured I would give it a shot, if not, I'll just use my AAA card to get the dscount. Any reasonable family dining suggestions- ( I'm a super healthy eater!!) near the Beverly Hilton for 2/16??? Thanks.. Also, I found some links to some sitcoms that tape on Friday 2/16 at 7:00 pm. How strict are the photo id checking. My son is just turning 16- but he is 6'4" and looks very mature?? It says they ask for photo id- I was wondering if it was worth it to take a chance???

Archived