Rough Seas on Pacific Coastal???

I will be taking a "Pacific Coastal" on the NCL Pearl cruising from San Pedro, California to Vancouver BC on April 24th 2010. I was wondering if the seas are rough in these parts? I am taking my Aunt in celebration of her 60th birthday and she has suffered occasional sea sickness in rough seas. I currently have her booked mid ship (for that reason) but a mini suite has become available now, only thing is that it's aft and all though I'd love to get her in a mini suite I am very concerned that if the waters are rough, having a cabin in the aft might intensify it and bring on her sea sickness. Please help...if anyone has taken this cruise before, are the seas that rough? How are aft cabins as far as motion and sea sickness? Thanks in advance to all the reply :)

I don't know if there is any certain answer to this, but I know someone who has done the southbound Pacific coastal and they got beat up really bad off the Columbia River. Having said that it doesn't mean it couldn't be flat call the whole time. Weather and sea conditions are unpredictable.

• 3 weeks later...

This winter has been particularly mild in Oregon and Washington (the metro areas have maybe had 1 day with snow falling total) And in Seattle we've had our warmest January ever. Now this could be a tell for April that it could be summer like weather or it could be winter's revenge. No way to tell, but I did the LA to Van cruise 2 years ago and there was no problem. Safe bet to get some dramamine.

I will be taking a "Pacific Coastal" on the NCL Pearl cruising from San Pedro, California to Vancouver BC on April 24th 2010. I was wondering if the seas are rough in these parts? I am taking my Aunt in celebration of her 60th birthday and she has suffered occasional sea sickness in rough seas. I currently have her booked mid ship (for that reason) but a mini suite has become available now, only thing is that it's aft and all though I'd love to get her in a mini suite I am very concerned that if the waters are rough, having a cabin in the aft might intensify it and bring on her sea sickness. Please help...if anyone has taken this cruise before, are the seas that rough? How are aft cabins as far as motion and sea sickness? Thanks in advance to all the reply :)

We're booked on the same cruise you are and did it last year as well. The weather was pretty good all in all, for those who enjoy five days of solid fog. No real wind or rain, except for San Francisco where it poured for most of the day ashore. The seas weren't rough or anything, though the first few days we had large steady swells coming from the north-west, which had the ship pitching up and down a fair amount. It was interesting watching the pool sloshing around - it went from about 3-feet to 10-feet deep and back again! The pitching wasn't really noticable mid-ships or aft, but I couldn't go into the Spinnaker lounge without feeling queezy - in fact I had to abruptly leave in the middle of the Latitudes party and run aft a few hundred feet :eek: or risk adding to the already chaotic colour scheme of the carpet.

After that I called on the front desk every day and asked for a few seasick pills. Worked like a charm, and the rest of the cruise was great! :D For our next cruise, in October in the North Atlantic, I took a seasick pill every morning and had no trouble at all with the weather.

It's all subjective, of course. I remember during one of the Captain's announcements he said "I know that some of you think that it's stormy out there, but trust me - it's actually pretty calm!"

Thanks everyone for your replies, I do appreciate it!

Pszaffveauhraunne, have you joined our roll call for this cruise? We have a pretty good sized group going complete with M&G set up for 2nd day out, if you're interested, it would be great to have you :) Here is a link to the roll call, hope to see you there!

Pearl-April 24, 2010 Pacific Coastal Repo

Book low and midship. We did San Diego-Victoria in early May last year and one evening, in particular, was rough enough to decimate the crowd for dinner. It can easily be rough enough to disconcert those with a tendency to sea-sickness. A friend who did LA-Vancouver several years ago spent the entire trip in her cabin.

Or it could be flat calm but I think that's less likely than the alternative.

Yes - we did this trip and 3 out of 4 of us got seasick. My poor little kids at the time, wow. I'll never forget running out of the dining room because my lil guy looked at me and said, "Mommy!" I knew he was going to hurl. :p

BTW, this was on the old Rotterdam which didn't have the stabilizers of the ships today. Hopefully, you'll be all right. I'd recommend the Sea Bands wrist bands; they really do work well and of course are non-medicating.

I'd recommend the Sea Bands wrist bands; they really do work well and of course are non-medicating.

But be sure of that they are Sea Bands. DW forgot hers at home so I purchased a knock off brand at Smith's (Kroger's) here in AZ last month and as she has an allergy to some types of latex (Elastoplast) and her hands became very swollen. She had to throw them out and we bought a set in Grand's gift shop which were just fine.

The Pearl's suites if I recall correctly are high up -- like 14th floor! This is one big reason we don't sail her. I love suites but being on the 14th deck in the open waters of the Pacific is really not a good idea.

When you are up in Alaska between little islands, the water is as calm as glass so it's no big deal. But I would resist the temptation to upgrade if it involved a higher deck. Midship is also always best and at all cost avoid the bow!

Katherine

We've done lots of coastal cruises and most of them were quite calm. If you hit any rough seas it will be either off the mouth of the Columbia River or entering/leaving the Strait of Juan de Fuca. We're not bothered by motion on the seas but if you are then these are the two areas where you might be affected. :)

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are booked on the April 24th Norwegian Pearl cruise LA to Vancouver. After reading this thread I've lost my excitement for this cruise. :( We've cruised 6 times previously but always on Caribbean routes where we enjoy the deck AND the warmth. Tho I love cruises much more than he does, this one was HIS choice mainly because we're traveling with a group of fellow golfers. He tends to get seasick much easier than I do but after reading about the sloshing of water over the side of the pool from one poster I'm really concerned for both of us. I guess my idea of a cruise is aqua caribbean waters, lots of time on the deck in the sun and warm weather. Somebody please tell me something good fast. . this cruise is beginning to sound like no fun at all.

Also, what does one pack for this cruise? Certainly the usual swimsuits, tees, shorts and summer duds doesn't seem appropriate. But neither does warm up suites and the usual cold weather clothes from home.

Would appreciate some help on this.

My husband and I are booked on the April 24th Norwegian Pearl cruise LA to Vancouver. After reading this thread I've lost my excitement for this cruise. :( We've cruised 6 times previously but always on Caribbean routes where we enjoy the deck AND the warmth. Tho I love cruises much more than he does, this one was HIS choice mainly because we're traveling with a group of fellow golfers. He tends to get seasick much easier than I do but after reading about the sloshing of water over the side of the pool from one poster I'm really concerned for both of us. I guess my idea of a cruise is aqua caribbean waters, lots of time on the deck in the sun and warm weather. Somebody please tell me something good fast. . this cruise is beginning to sound like no fun at all.

Also, what does one pack for this cruise? Certainly the usual swimsuits, tees, shorts and summer duds doesn't seem appropriate. But neither does warm up suites and the usual cold weather clothes from home.

Would appreciate some help on this.

If this helps....

http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/CA/Los%20Angeles

Sunny and cool from April 14th through the 30th

http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/WA/Seattle

Showers then sunny and cool during the same time

Surf conditions here: http://www.surfline.com/surfline/forecasts4/forecast_vbgst.cfm?vgtab=gst

So, I would wear warm clothes and think twice about the pool. But, bring some shorts and the swimsuit, just in case.

Go to your local health food store and buy some ginger in capsules and start taking them before your cruise. You might also want to get Bonine if seasickness is likely. Search and read about "seasickness" on this board and just be prepared. Lots of good advice to be found.

Just remember, any cruise is better than no cruise. Hope you have a great time.

We are going on this cruise. It will not be a "bake in the sun, live in my swimsuit" cruise.

Weather should be similar to Alaskan cruises. Our 2 Alaskan cruises had completely different weather and conditions. Our first cruise was foggy, cool, rainy with some rough seas due to a "former hurricaine" spiraling up into the Gulf of Alaska. We were prepared and it was fine. The gift shops did a brisk business in sweatshirt and jacket sales. Last summer, our Alaskan cruise was sunny, hot and the seas were smooth as glass. We did not wear our foul weather gear; but better to be prepared than not.

On sea days, instead of lounging by the outdoor pool, I plan on taking advantage of the shipboard activites. Too frequently, I miss out on these activities while on cruises.

I do take Bonine and some ginger.

Archived