Cost of 3rd person in cabin

Blondilu

I recently booked a cabin with my sister. After the fact a third party (adult) joined in and is now booked in the same cabin as us.

Would you: Have the first and second person pay the regular fare and let the other one pay the reduced third-person fare?

Or: Take the whole cost of the cabin and divide by 3?

I know what I would do, but would be interested in the thoughts of others.

To me its not even a question. If each in the party is paying separately I would split the total three ways so that each pays the same. After all you are all in the same room (and on a cruise) together with nobody benefiting more than the other from the arrangement. I guess the only issue could be since one of the passengers will be on the sofa or murphy bed if that is seen as unequal comfort with the bedding. But to me that is splitting hairs because you can always rotate who sleeps where.

I recently booked a cabin with my sister. After the fact a third party (adult) joined in and is now booked in the same cabin as us.

Would you: Have the first and second person pay the regular fare and let the other one pay the reduced third-person fare?

Or: Take the whole cost of the cabin and divide by 3?

I know what I would do, but would be interested in the thoughts of others.

I would make sure that everyone pays the same . This would stop arguments over sleeping arrangements and other items.

Paying equal would be fair if one of you weren't going to get stuck on the uncomfortable couch bed. You could toss a coin but are you really willing to take a chance and get stuck sleeping there? If it were me, I'd pay the full fare and take a comfy bed and then let whomever is willing to sleep on the couch pay the 3rd person discounted fare.

We always divide by 3 and I take the sofa bed if I'm the 3rd... Why? Because if I was to go solo in a cabin I'd be paying significantly more with the solo supplement.

Just remember though for travel insurance purposes (ours is on our credit cards) each person has to pay their own share on their own cards so sometimes it's a bit of $$ juggling and paying back after the fact or paying each others tips etc

Say it's $1000, $1000, $400 - everyone initially pays that amount then the $400 person reimburses the $1000 people $200 each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would depend on my relationship with all parties involved. But the 3rd person has to take a less comfortable bed arrangement so I would most likely let them have the discount on the 3rd person.

Paying equal would be fair if one of you weren't going to get stuck on the uncomfortable couch bed. You could toss a coin but are you really willing to take a chance and get stuck sleeping there? If it were me, I'd pay the full fare and take a comfy bed and then let whomever is willing to sleep on the couch pay the 3rd person discounted fare.

Understand that the difference in fare can sometime be substantial. For instance, the last time I travelled 3 in a cabin, the fare for the first 2 passengers was just over $1400 each. The 3rd person's fare was... $176.

I would go thirds.

The third person is my niece. I asked the question because I never told her the actual fares (I did the booking). Instead, the cost I quoted her was 1/3 the total cost of the cabin. She accepted it, and it seemed fair to me at the time. After all she's a grown woman and supports herself. But "Auntie" was feeling a little guilty making her pay a full share.

The jokes on me, I guess, as I just talked to her Mom (my sis) and we may end up gifting her the trip as she might not get to go without a little help.

I did this exact same thing with my niece and her boyfriend when we sailed to Alaska in 2011 on HAL's 14 day itinerary. With HAL's option of the third person sailing for free (except for taxes), we all agreed ahead of time that we would split the total for the cabin three ways. Worked out just great! And with the TA's bonus of $100 OBC, we all agreed to purchase the Unlimited Laundry Package for $99/cabin. Again - perfect! My niece's boyfriend generously offered to sleep on the sofa bed and it was very comfortable - he said so, and I believe him, I tried laying on it one evening to watch tv while they were out, it was just as comfortable as the single beds my niece and I were sleeping in. HAL's beds are a dream, by the way:)!

Seems like you now have things worked out w/your sister to gift your niece the cost of the cabin. How nice of you both! I'm sure it will all work out just fine. Happy sailing!

It sounds like you have gotten your situation figured out, but I would agree with those who say it depends on sleeping arrangements. I was the 3rd adult in a mini-suite on NCL and the sofa bed was very uncomfortable. I did not complain because I was sailing with my parents and they paid for the trip -- I would have slept on the floor for a free trip!! (It's possible the floor would have been more comfortable...) However, if I'd paid the same as the people who got the comfortable beds I would NOT have been happy.

And then cut the cards to see who gets the less desirable bed which will either be a upper pulldown from the wall or cealing or a pull out couch. This makes it the farest to all as I see it. As for the services on the rest of the ship all will be equal.

Archived