Family of Five Cruising

AlohaPride

I used the search and saw that this question has been asked a LOT, buuuuut it hasn't yet been asked this year (or really even last year) ;)

Which lines can accomodate 5 in a cabin. DH and I prefer Holland America, Princess, or Celebrity. We understand we might have to compromise and use a different line this time.

I used the search and saw that this question has been asked a LOT, buuuuut it hasn't yet been asked this year (or really even last year) ;)

Which lines can accomodate 5 in a cabin. DH and I prefer Holland America, Princess, or Celebrity. We understand we might have to compromise and use a different line this time.

Did you search THIS forum? Here is a thread from just two weeks ago, and in it I give links to two more from the last couple of months:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1827795

Did you search THIS forum? Here is a thread from just two weeks ago, and in it I give links to two more from the last couple of months:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1827795

Thank you. This thread actually didn't come up when I did a search in this forum for "Family of 5 cruising," "Cabin for 5," and "Lines for larger families." BUT I think I've found a cruise with Holland America where we can get two adjoining rooms for 14 days in Alaska.

Just my input on a cabin for 5, not specific to any cruise line...go for the connecting cabins, you will probably be thankful for the second bathroom. (and maybe the tv too :p). And as you probably already know, connecting is important to specify, that way you have an internal door for immediate access without going into the hallway. We are a family of 5, and have done both a family cabin that slept 6 comfortably, a royal family suite, and of course the 2 connecting cabins. We really missed the 2nd bath, the kids are all girls, two of them teens, and getting ready was sometimes a challenge. Our favorite by far was the RFS...it was a 2br/2ba apartment! A definite splurge, but at the time it wasn't much more than our normal 2 cabins. The benefits made up for the difference, but I'm sure pricing for an AK cruise in the summer season is crazy high.

Just my input on a cabin for 5, not specific to any cruise line...go for the connecting cabins, you will probably be thankful for the second bathroom. (and maybe the tv too :p). And as you probably already know, connecting is important to specify, that way you have an internal door for immediate access without going into the hallway. We are a family of 5, and have done both a family cabin that slept 6 comfortably, a royal family suite, and of course the 2 connecting cabins. We really missed the 2nd bath, the kids are all girls, two of them teens, and getting ready was sometimes a challenge. Our favorite by far was the RFS...it was a 2br/2ba apartment! A definite splurge, but at the time it wasn't much more than our normal 2 cabins. The benefits made up for the difference, but I'm sure pricing for an AK cruise in the summer season is crazy high.

Crazy high is right. For the 14 day we're looking at about 10k for our family in two inside cabins. Sigh. LOL

When we booked our AK cruise, it was a year out, and we did it onboard another cruise. We priced the RFS, and it was 20k! We decided on 2 connecting JS, the price on that was better by half, and later in the year there was a price drop bringing it down even more. I haven't looked at prices for AK recently, this was 4 years ago, I can only imagine what it would be now. Totally worth it though, we've been twice, and though it is for sure different than a Caribbean cruise, it's an experience you will never forget!

Oh, and that was for 7 day. We haven't ventured out longer than that yet!

You really should try it. My husband and I have a rule - nothing less than 10 days. LOL We find that by 7 days we're JUUUUUST not ready to leave yet. :)

Being we often are traveling as a family of 5 it is often a challenge to find, as some lines make you book a suite to put 5 in. I have noticed that several of the lines like disney, Royal Carribean, Costa and Celebrity do have a few staterooms that do 5 people but you usually have to phone to book them as they don't show up in their on line booking. Our last couple of cruises however we have done ajoining units or units accross the hall from each other (one inside and a balcony) it has worked well and has often been cheaper.

Like I said in that other post, you might want to look at two connecting cabins. When you travel with younger children, you spend a lot more time in your cabin than you'd think. Not only will the kids be able to go to bed while the adults stay awake in another room, drinking a glass of wine, watching a movie, whatever. You'll also benefit from another bathroom and depending on the ages of your kids, that might be a blessing. Also, when looking at pricing, I booked on RCI and it was a little less to book to balcony cabins than a family stateroom.

You really should try it. My husband and I have a rule - nothing less than 10 days. LOL We find that by 7 days we're JUUUUUST not ready to leave yet. :)

Sigh...someday, lol. But I will admit to being spoiled. We don't do longer than 7 nights, but I do manage one shorter cruise every year without the kids...pretty good trade off I think! :D

Celebrity has wonderful staterooms that accomodate 5 . The M class ships have FV Aft Balcony cabins with separate sleeping areas , 2 tvs and a huggggggeeee balcony . The corner staterooms are best.

We will be on HAL in July and had to get 2 rooms as there are none to accomodate 5 :(

Archived