Norwegian dock and ferry to St. John from Charlotte Amalie

ancryan

Most of the threads I have read about the ferry to St. John talk about Red Hook. Has anyone tried the ferry from Charlotte Amalie? Assuming my ship docks there is that not a better choice than the fairly long (and more expensive) cab ride to Red Hook? I also know from a friend that the ferry stops at the cruise dock after leaving C.A. Can anyone get on it there or is that just for people taking tours? Thanks for your help!

There is a recent thread comparing the 2 ferry options. The ferry from CA departs every other hour whereas the Red Hook ferry every hour. The cost of each is almost identical (a bit more for the CA ferry actually).

So the main reasons the Red Hook ferry is preferred are the more frequent departures, and a calmer ferry ride because you're in the channel rather than more open water. The 20 min taxi is like a short island tour too.

I wasn't aware of the ferry stopping at the cruise dock but there are tours departing from there, someone else may be able to answer that question.

Archived