Viking River Cruise

beanpittsburgh

I'm new to this board and river cruising. We have signed up for the Viking Rhine Getaway next April. Is there much time to explore the ports on ones own after the daily excursions? We are fairly young (25-55 yrs old) and would love to have lunch in the local cafes and explore on our own. Not a big deal but I am trying to plan our activities in advance. Thanks:D

If you take a look at the itinerary on-line you can get an idea of when the ship will stay in port. If you do a morning tour and have free time in the afternoon you can stay and have lunch in town or do whatever you wish. Just be back in time for sailing. Looks like free time in Cologne, Rudesheim, Speyer, Strasbourg and possibly Breisach. We did the 15 day Rhine cruise a few years back which incorporated cities on your cruise along with others. You will see beautiful and varied landscape as you sail, especially the area near Switzerland.

Make sure you dress in layers and bring a hooded rain slicker as the area around Amsterdam could be wet, windy and rainy in the spring.

Enjoy!

Hey, a fellow Pittsburgher!

We're doing the Viking Portraits of Southern France in March 2013. We are cruising south to north and will extend the trip by visiting Paris for 3 days. Hope you have a great time!!

Hail from another Pittsburgher! I am booked on the "Rhine Getaway" this December. From what I can see on the website, tours are usually in the AM and then you have the afternoon (and sometimes evening) to explore on your own.

Just got back form a China trip with Viking and it was fabulous. Top notch all around.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'm new to this board and river cruising. We have signed up for the Viking Rhine Getaway next April. Is there much time to explore the ports on ones own after the daily excursions? We are fairly young (25-55 yrs old) and would love to have lunch in the local cafes and explore on our own. Not a big deal but I am trying to plan our activities in advance. Thanks:D

You will love your trip! We always thought that having lunch in town was the highlight of each day. You get to rub elbows with some of the locals. Your local tour guides will almost always tell you where the nearest beer garden is or would be happy to point you in the right direction if they don't mention it as part of the tour!

I will bring the Isaly's chipped ham and Iron City!

Nice to see all you Steelers fans bonding! We are Packer fans, not going well this year:(

Anyone ever take the beverage package on one of these river cruises. We have done special coffee packages on Princess and thought is worthwhile....

Also is there any way to find out ahead of time what the optional excursions are. We are supposed to get a packet but have not received it yet and our trip is in 5.5 weeks. I like to plan a bit more in advance.

Has anyone ever purchased wine locally and had it served on board. I thought I read they will allow this with no extra cork charge.

2thklnr, I've also read that Viking allows you to bring local wines on board. Since my wife and I prefer wine to mixed drinks, we will probably take the local wine option rather than purchase the drink package.

Sorry about the Packers, you know their coach is a Pittsburgh guy!

2thklnr, I've also read that Viking allows you to bring local wines on board. Since my wife and I prefer wine to mixed drinks, we will probably take the local wine option rather than purchase the drink package.

Sorry about the Packers, you know their coach is a Pittsburgh guy!

Thanks for the sympathy Huffy2k:) Mike McCarthy is a great coach! I think I did hear he was from Pittsburgh and his parents still live there.

We too enjoy wine but like to have a mixed drink or special coffee too...just don't know if that is worth $210/pp for a week.

How about those optional excursions? I have heard they are not as pricey as the big cruise lines offerings and that they need 20 to sign up in order to run the trip. I am still waiting for my packet from Viking with those trips listed and purchased a travel guide with all the ports so I am at a standstill on decision-making until I get more information.

I am also wondering about getting euros here before we leave or exchanging once we get there. Seems like it might be convenient to get them ahead.:rolleyes:

Huffy2K,

I read where you are taking the S. France cruise and thought I could give you some info on your upcoming trip.

My wife and I took the S. France cruise on the Viking Europe at the end of August starting in Avignon and ending in Chalon-sur-Saone. We then flew from Lyon to Munich and spent 5 days there on our own. This was our 6th cruise with Viking.

We flew from Boston through Munich and landed in Marseille at 12:30. The temperature was around 95 degrees and there were brush fires and smoke which made for a, shall I say, unique plane landing. We were the only Viking passengers that arrived at that time so we had a very colorful French taxis driver take us to the ship. I enjoyed the ride but my wife said it was a white knuckle ride and she kept her eyes shut most of the time and prayed. I will say we past everyone and everything on the drive and he knew how to use the horn:)

We got to the ship around 3pm and as usual, Viking had a great buffet set up with free drinks. Some people were out exploring Avignon but we stayed in the lounge conversing with folks and then to our room to unpack and then off to dinner.

Day 2 – Sailed into Arles and did a morning tour in this quaint French town. In the afternoon we purchased the optional tour to Les Baux which included a stop at St Paul de Mausole hospital near St Remy de Provence where van Gogh spent a year. My wife is a watercolor artist with cd's and a local tv show so this was a must visit for us.We thought the places were beautiful and well worth the price. Sailed to Avignon at dinnertime.

Day 3 – Morning tour of the town and Popes Palace. Again we did the afternoon optional tour to Chateauneuf du Pape for a wine tasting which I felt was the best of the three. The ride into the countryside was fine but I’m not convinced it was worth the 98 euros but it was the only way to experience it. The ship picked us up there and we sailed into Vivers for dinner and a evening stroll through the town which is very small.

Day 4 – This morning we sailed into Tournon arriving after lunch and the afternoon tour was to a small painting exhibition, then to a wine tasting and a chocolate factory with free samples.

Day 5 - Vienne – morning walking tour and a mini-train ride with afternoon sailing to Lyon. The afternoon and evening was free time. Lyon is a fun city with great restaurants. Many people at dinner ashore.

Day 6 - Morning bus and walking tour of Lyon then afternoon sailing arriving in Macon during dinner.

Day 7 – Chalon – In the morning we did the optional tour to Cluny arriving on market day being held in the square near the abbey. The Benedictine Abbey tour is very historical and hard to imagine how big it actually was. It was a lot of fun experiencing the outdoor market and the ride there was through rolling countryside and very interesting to us. That afternoon was a visit to Beaune and Hotel Dieu - Hospices de Beaune with it’s tile roof – a must see. There was another wine tasting in this town as well.

The last thing I'll say was the food was very good on this cruise and the crew was exceptional. We've always taken Viking so I can't compare to others but we enjoy the trips and always feel welcome being with Viking and their crew.

I hope you have a wonderful experience.

Jacksonnh - thanks for the firsthand report from your cruise. We are also sailing north from Avignon so our itinerary should be pretty much the same as yours. I especially was interested hearing your thoughts on the optional tours - I'm pretty sure we'll be doing them all as well! Thanks again, I enjoyed hearing of your experience - we're really looking forward to our trip!

thklnr - sorry about the Packers yesterday, what's going on with them this year??? :mad:

Jacksonnh ~ SO happy to read your review - we'll be doing this cruise - from north to south - next month beginning Oct. 21!! This will be our first River Cruise (usually its Celebrity or RCCL) so I'm happy to hear as much as possible before we leave for Europe!

If you don't mind a few question....

What ship were you on? We'll be on the Neptune.

Arles - did you go on the walking tour? If so did they tour go past the Du Forum - place Van Gogh painted The Cafe Terrace?? (Being an artist your wife must have been in heaven! I only appreciate Van Gogh work and can't wait to get to Arles & Avignon!!!)

Les Baux - how difficult was it walking around the town? It's listed as a "3" in the Viking itinerary book, says lots of cobblestones and hilly.

Lyon - do you remember names of any restaurants people ate at? We're thinking of a meal ashore and I have a list of possible places!

Cluny - Monday on our trip - do you think the optional tour would be worth it without the market? We're thinking of taking it but wonder if we should just sail on the ship instead.

Wines - how are the wines at lnch & dinner? Always the same ones?

I've read you can bring wine onboard - did anyone bring it to the dining room for meals? If so was there a corkage charge?

Thanls SO much for your time in answering questions - we just can't wait!!!

jacksonnh - Thanks for the details on the optional tours. I have some of the same questions as Fotopeg: like where to dine in Lyon? I would love to know where you got your list Fotopeg. We finally got our packet on Sat. I don't see much about what to see on your own...suppose they would rather have you take their optional tours.

I have also read they serve the same house wines all through the cruise but you can bring local wine on board with no corkage fee.

We sail on Nov 11, on the Neptune south to north. It is our first river cruise. Our favorite cruise so far has been the Baltic with St. Petersburg the highlight!

Huffy2k- That was a painful loss for the Pack:( I heard a sports writer on the radio talking about how they are missing Joe Philbin who left last year(formerly offensive coordinator now head coach of the Dolphins) Rogers just doesn't seem as in sink with the receivers as he was last year. So again, just not our year! Glad the Steelers pulled one out yesterday! I like Rothlisberger :) I will have to post after we come back to let you know how our trip went. Hope it's not too cold, although we are from Wisconsin!

2thklnr ~ list of Lyon restaurants I just put together from google and trip advisor based on the area where we should dock. According to Viking Dock information, in Lyon we should be at Quai Claude Bernard. Somewhere here on CC someone also added that Viking docks near the Pont de l’Universite.

We arrive on day 3 and there’s an included tour after breakfast. Its vague just when it return to the ship but I presume we get back for lunch. Then the afternoon is on our own or an option tour to Perouges. We haven’t decided yet but will probably spend the afternoon in Lyon and have either lunch or dinner there. The next day we sail from Lyon about noon so we’re hoping to visit a French Resistance Museum not far from the docking – it isn’t open day before.

But back to restaurants ~ thankfully Paul Bocuse’s restaurant seems far – we’re splurging on enough!!! But he does have another place just across the river from the dock – a brasserie that looks interesting. I have a list of 5 places but I can’t attest to how good any would be. I’ll E-mail it to you (word document) if you want – just e-mail me at my screen name at aol dot com.

I also gave DH an early Christmas present. The main reason he chose this cruise was because he wanted to see the Rhone River wine country. Originally we were going to take the optional Chateauneuf du Pape tour. Then I had an idea – since we’ll be in Avignon 2 days post cruise I checked on line and found an all day tour that goes to 4 vineyards in the area!! This way he can OD on wine info and tastings!!

I will have to post after we come back to let you know how our trip went. Hope it's not too cold, although we are from Wisconsin!

I look forward to hearing about your trip!!! Safe and fun travels to you!

Hi Fotopeg an 2thklnr,

I"ll try and answer your questions as best I can-

We were on the Viking Europe which is one of four built at the same time, Europe, Pride and Spirit being the others. We also sailed Spirit on the Seine.

Arles - do take the morning tour. Arles is such a quaint place that you must experience it and yes, you will stand where van Gogh stood and view the terrace spot.

Before I get into the optional tour part just thought you'd like to know that my wife calls me a "optional tour junkie". If I could stay overnight in many of the places and not go back to the ship, I would, so I'll try and stick to what you're asking and not tell you to go because I loved it.

Les Baux - optional - this tour included the hospital where van Gogh resided and that was the main reason we went. At Les Baux the bus can not drive to the town and you have to walk uphill. I think it took us about 4-5 min. Once in the town there are more up and down walks and mostly shopping stores. There are also historical places to see with an area that has a great view over the countryside towards the river. There is also a castle that is in ruins and can be seen from where the bus stops. We did not climb to the castle. I believe the town is inhabited by 300 folks. It is unique.

Lyon - we met a couple from Brazil who went to Paul Bocuse restaurant. Viking made reservations for them. They travel a lot and said it was one of the best they've eaten at, although $$$$. Other then that I can't help with any names but there are a lot to pick from.

Cluny - w/o the market - it depends if a quaint village and a very old abbey with a great history, most of which is not still standing, appeals to you. I will say the ride to and from was through great countryside.

Wines - the house wines were (subjective) good but if you're into wine then you will have plenty of opportunity to buy yur own and bing it on board and to dinner. I believe Viking eliminated the corkage charges a few yrs back.

Hope this helps!

Also, you mentioned cobblestones- Pls be careful when you walk and above all, don't assume the drivers will stop for you. Reminded me of the bike riders in Amsterdam. Our ship had 2 major medical issues involving cobblestones so again, watch where you're stepping.

Peg,

Thanks for the great information about Lyon and your Google method for finding options to explore on your own. I will have to get better at the Viking web site to determine where we are docking.

I finally got my "Rough Guide to France" They have at least 15 restaurants that they recommend in Lyon. They refer to them as traditional Lyonnais eating establishments called Bouchon. I will e-mail you with the names I have. That way we can compare what you have found and what the book says. (They do mention Paul Bocuse w/menus @ 125 euros and up)

I am afraid you are making me envious of your extra days to tour the wineries. We will plan to do the optional tour to Cateauneuf du pape. This trip attracted us for the wine country as well! Too bad we are going to miss each other by just a few weeks.

Look for my e-mail which is my screen name as well.

Thanks, 2thklnr

jacksonnh ~ thank you, thank you, thank you for your response - it'll be very helpful! Although I may be re-thinking our "plans"!!!!

Paul Bocuse's restaurant sounds tempting but we have reservations at 2 $$$ in Paris - soooo.... - but thanks for the tip about Viking making the reservation - I never thought about that! I think we're going to have a problem deciding where to eat all over - only answer is to either stay longer or re-visit!!!

Wines - so happy to hear there's no corkage fee! And I guess it makes sense for Viking to allow you to bring a bottle to meals since they're not charging for their wine! What a difference from the larger companies!

Don't remind me of the bikers in Amsterdam - takes two days to remember to look for them! Amsterdam has to be up there as one of the most dangerous cities - yet I just loved it!!!! I'm afraid to ask about Avignon and the Papal Palaces - is that difficult to manage?? I've read - and seen photos - that its not an easy "climb" - were you there? is it difficult? [i'm mainly concerned since DH has a problem with his foot and just want to be prepared!]

Did you have to "sign-up" for the regular tours? optional tours? When you boarded or when??

Again - Thanks SO much for all your help!

Archived