is this a long enough layover at CLT?

fatsassygirl

Without knowing the airline you are flying, I can only give you standard Minimum Connecting Times for Charlotte airport.... Your flight may require more time.

Domestic flight to domestic flight 40 minutes

Domestic to International 60 minutes

International to Domestic 60 minutes

International to International 60 minutes

If someone has put you on flights that are under the minimum connecting time, it is an ILLEGAL connection. If you miss your connecting flight for any reason, the airline is not required to assist you in any way.

38 minutes is not 40.....whoever made your reservations needs to change them to a legal connection. If you have already purchased the ticket, the agency that issued your ticket should change it with no charge to you. If you were told it was an illegal connection, then it's on you.

In any case, I'd never book a 38 minute connection anywhere....and I'd never book same day flights.

Charlett to where...? All that it takes is for one flight to be screwed up and you are screwed too.

What month are you traveling... that can make a difference too.

In a recent poll her on CC... folks said that 94% of those voting say that they arrive one day before thier cruise... and mostly so they don't have to worry about what you are worrying about.

Best of luck to you and have a great cruise. :)

Check your flight info carefully. It is possible that the plane stops here in Charlotte to pick up additional passengers, but you continue your flight on the same plane. I have had that happen to me on several US Air flights.

a little off topic i know, but is a 38 minute layover enough time at charlotte? i'm terrified of missing my flight since i'm flying in the same day as the cruise....

Yes, if US Air says it is a legal connection it is enough time.

I just came back from a trip with connections through Charlotte. I had a 50 min layover, with having to go from Concourse B to Concourse D. You should be okay, but I would pick seats as close to the front of the plane as possible. Be ready to hit the ground and move. Charlotte does have the moving sidewalks, so you can take advantage of them.

Hope it helps... Have a great cruise....

Did the cruiselines set you up with this flight or is this something you did on your own?

If you did this yourself--- was it changed from what you booked?

38 minites--- if you are staying on the same concourse and only changing gates--then you should be fine --- IF your origina flight leaves ontime.

But like a previous poster stated-- are you on the same flight and they are picking up passengers-- then no worry at all.

Hi,

I have flown through there several times going to cruises. Depends on where you fly in from. If you come in a small carrier you will most likely come into there concourse that is fatherist away. Happens every time we come in from Wilmington. So run you must. Ask the Stewardist if they can give you a confirmation on your connection to see if it is on time. That may be enough for them to hold for you in a close call. Good luck. Charlotte is a nice airport. :)

Another thing to be concerned about is your luggage. One time when we were traveling from Minnesota to Michigan we (barely) managed to make our connection, but our luggage did not. :eek:

I agree with you on this. If your connecting gate is far and depending on how many bags that runner has to deliver, it's pressing very tight on the luggage. We have a certain window timeframe for bags and if they are not at the aircraft by a certain time, they won't make it. Anything landing under 40 minutes is really tight. Esp if you are landing on a different concourse than your departing flight.

I have made connections in CLT less than that, but not by choice. As long as your first flight is on time, you can make it, but be prepared to run. Make sure you tell the first flight attendants and they will let you off first. If you are on one of the small commuter planes in, then you will more than likely have a long haul to another concourse to get there. It also raises the risk of no luggage, but my luggage made it both times I made a connection that tight there.

Try calling US Air and telling them what your connection is - they may change your flights at no charge - especially if you were initially booked with something longer and they changed schedules. If you can possibly do it - fly the day ahead instead. I thought I was going to miss my cruise last year and I was even booked for the evening beforehand - flight was weather delayed and everything else was booked - even for the next day. They finally did find us flights the next morning, but it's really iffy with fewer flights these days to fly the day of. Anything at all goes wrong and you are then booking flights to the next port (passport required if it's a foreign country.)

If you are staying on the same plane and just picking up passengers then you are safe. But if you have to make a connecting flight that is where it gets iffy. What if your flight is a few minutes late taking off or hits a head wind and you are late getting in there goes your wiggle room. I watch TV reports on flights and see delays of 1/2 to an hour due to weather etc. all the time. I won't relay my horror story with flights on our recent cruise and we flew the day before but suffice it to say I won't be cruising for awhile unless I can get there two days ahead of time. Best of luck. Cindy

I fly USAir a lot, and have connected through CLT many may times. 38 mins is cutting it really close. I would suggest you see what the next flight out is from CLT to your destination. The airport is very large and you could be coming from the F concourse which is a hike to the main terminal.

We don't want you to miss your cruise!

Even if you make the flight I would be concerned about your luggage with a short layover and you will be getting on the ship with no luggage unless you go a day early. There is no way I would take the chance.

Luggage will make the connection easier than the passenger.

the 38 minute connection is through usairways website

unfortunately i don't have another choice but to do same day flight...:-(

thanks though for the help - it was confirming what i suspected

If you booked it through USAir on their website and those are the flights offered - and they let you book them, then you have a "legal connection".

Of course, this won't help much if your original flight is delayed even slightly and you miss your connection. But, at least, USAir will assist you in getting where you need to be.

I'd still not do it................

Archived