Pacific Dawn - Diversion From Wala

LuckiePuris

Hi, while going thru threads, I found the following one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=614314&highlight=w801

It basically states that a visit to Wala will not go ahead.

Is this stll current? Will it apply to Pacific Dawn?

It was mentioned in the thread, that instead cruisers will go to Isle of Pines or Mystery Island. But what if you're already going to those islands...would you go to the same island twice?

Why haven't P&O issued a statement publically?

Thanks for the help Fellow Cruisers!

Hi, while going thru threads, I found the following one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=614314&highlight=w801

It basically states that a visit to Wala will not go ahead.

Is this stll current? Will it apply to Pacific Dawn?

It was mentioned in the thread, that instead cruisers will go to Isle of Pines or Mystery Island. But what if you're already going to those islands...would you go to the same island twice?

Why haven't P&O issued a statement publically?

Thanks for the help Fellow Cruisers!

Ahh, you leave the day before me from Sydney. I am on an almost identical itinerary on Sun Princess. When you depart, I will be waving feverishly from the waterfront at Macmahons point. Make sure you give my video a smile & a wave.

They have made announcements. If it affects your cruise, you will be advised through your T\A. It will apply to early cruises on Pacific Dawn.

Champagne Bay is the first alternative for skipping Wala, which we are both doing as well.

An announcement has not been made for our cruises yet. As you can tell by the date on the other thread, it would have been a bit early to decide. The hope is that the prob on Wala will settle down, and we will cruise as planned.

Check regularly on the cruise personaliser for any updates. I think it is unlikely we will do the same island twice.

Cheers

Geoff

Ahh, you leave the day before me from Sydney. I am on an almost identical itinerary on Sun Princess. When you depart, I will be waving feverishly from the waterfront at Macmahons point. Make sure you give my video a smile & a wave.

They have made announcements. If it affects your cruise, you will be advised through your T\A. It will apply to early cruises on Pacific Dawn.

Champagne Bay is the first alternative for skipping Wala, which we are both doing as well.

An announcement has not been made for our cruises yet. As you can tell by the date on the other thread, it would have been a bit early to decide. The hope is that the prob on Wala will settle down, and we will cruise as planned.

Check regularly on the cruise personaliser for any updates. I think it is unlikely we will do the same island twice.

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

As I hadn't booked with a travel agent and booked directly with P&O, I phoned them to ask today.

They told me that unfortunately at this stage due to civil unrest, there will be no days at Wala. I asked if he thought the situation would change, but he said that he didnt think so and even if the situation in Wala was resolved, that they wouldn't resume visits to the island until they were certain that it was safe for us.

So at this stage, there are no visit to Wala.

He is unsure if we will spend an extra day at Sea, or visit an island that we're already seeing twice, or perhaps go to a new island (such as Pentecost).

I have been to Wala on a previous cruise, and it is a wonderful island.

But I'm glad that P&O are making sure everything is safe for us!

Hi Geoff,

As I hadn't booked with a travel agent and booked directly with P&O, I phoned them to ask today.

They told me that unfortunately at this stage due to civil unrest, there will be no days at Wala. I asked if he thought the situation would change, but he said that he didnt think so and even if the situation in Wala was resolved, that they wouldn't resume visits to the island until they were certain that it was safe for us.

So at this stage, there are no visit to Wala.

He is unsure if we will spend an extra day at Sea, or visit an island that we're already seeing twice, or perhaps go to a new island (such as Pentecost).

I have been to Wala on a previous cruise, and it is a wonderful island.

But I'm glad that P&O are making sure everything is safe for us!

Thanks for the update.

I agree on not going to Wala because of safety, but sorry Carnival, if that decision has been made, why are we waiting for the itinerary change to be announced?

I have my fingers crossed for Pentecost, and it is not far from Wala, so the itinerary should be otherwise the same that way.

Cheers

Geoff

Thanks for the update.

I agree on not going to Wala because of safety, but sorry Carnival, if that decision has been made, why are we waiting for the itinerary change to be announced?

I have my fingers crossed for Pentecost, and it is not far from Wala, so the itinerary should be otherwise the same that way.

Cheers

Geoff

Pentecost is lovely, but if it's outside of land-diving season there isn't much else there.

When is land diving season? We will be at Pentecost in March and was hoping to see this.

If Pentecost is a scheduled port on your cruise - then you'll see it. The ships generally only call there during the land diving season. I think it's March to August. We cruised in the last week of March (2006) and ours was the first cruise of the year to call there.

Pentecost is lovely, but if it's outside of land-diving season there isn't much else there.

OK, I have just uncrossed them. Would still like to know the replacement port soon - will talk to T\A on Monday.

Cheers

Geoff

There is a season for land diving??:confused: Could someone please enlighten me.:o

Is it to do with the hardness of the ground or something??

It's partly cultural and partly practical. They start building their tower when the first yam crop is ready. And more importantly it is after the wet season that the liana vines that they use for their 'ropes' are at their most elastic, allowing them to stretch and recoil to soften the fall. Each boy or man who jumps (it's only males that do it) have their own vine.

The crack the liana's make when stretching and contracting is something to be heard!

When we were there we were told that it's bad luck to jump 'out of season' - and the only time that they have jumped out of season was on a visit by the Queen and Prince Phillip in the 70s, when they requested to see it - and on this occassion one of the jumpers died, which is suprisingly an unusual thing.

OK, I have just uncrossed them. Would still like to know the replacement port soon - will talk to T\A on Monday.

Cheers

Geoff

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing place, and if you've never been there ít's worth the visit, land diving or not, but certainly the land diving is the major highlight.

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing place, and if you've never been there ít's worth the visit, land diving or not, but certainly the land diving is the major highlight.

I understand where you are coming from Kym.

Plot thickens. I just checked our itinerary, and Wala is still there, but Mystery Island has been replaced with Lifou. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cheers

Geoff

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Geoff

I wonder why they've changed your Mystery Island to another island.

I have just checked my itinery on the P&O website, and no changes.

I have also checked my Cruise Personaliser, and there have been no changes.

If you speak to your travel agent, I'd love to hear what he/she has to say. I hope we get to go to another island!

Hi Geoff

I wonder why they've changed your Mystery Island to another island.

I have just checked my itinery on the P&O website, and no changes.

I have also checked my Cruise Personaliser, and there have been no changes.

If you speak to your travel agent, I'd love to hear what he/she has to say. I hope we get to go to another island!

OK I have definative information now, straight from the phone today.

Answer is:

What day is it today?

You rang about Wala - Answer - they said not going there!

A fellow CCer on our roll call (Ando) rang Princess today - Answer - No unrest - definately going.

My T\A rings Princess today - answer - Not decided - monitoring the situation in Wala.

Pick an answer that suits.

Seriously, check your personaliser regularly.

Our cruise swapped Mystery Island for Lifou - happened on 10th October. No reason is available at the moment.

Cheers

Geoff

Archived