Taking grand children, divorced parents?

billroddy

Be sure it is notarized.

Also, you will need a medical authorization form signed and notarized. In the (unlikely) event they became ill or injured, you must have permission to authorize medical treatment. Also, bring their insurance cards.

When I took my older grandgirl to Alaska I was asked, at one point or another, for everything others have listed.

Letter from parents, medical permission statement, medical insurance card. I also, of course, needed her birth certificate and school (government issued) picture ID.

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILD TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

We, ________ and ___________, parents of ______, born ______________, authorize our minor child to travel to the Caribbean Islands including ____________________ on __________________ aboard the cruise ship (name of ship), with ________________ and __________________. Their expected date of return is ____________.

In addition, we authorize ____________ and _______________ to consent to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:___________________________

(Mother) ________________________

(Father) __________________________

Address:

Telephone:

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILD TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

We, ________ and ___________, parents of ______, born ______________, authorize our minor child to travel to the Caribbean Islands including ____________________ on __________________ aboard the cruise ship (name of ship), with ________________ and __________________. Their expected date of return is ____________.

In addition, we authorize ____________ and _______________ to consent to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

(Mother) ________________________

(Father) __________________________

Address:

Telephone:

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

Note that if you have two parents that won't be going to the Notary together, you will need two separate signature blocks and spaces for the Notary Public and seal.

All you need are the cruise tickets, birth cert. and/or passports.

Are you saying that he doesn't need a permission statement from the parents? If so, on what are you basing such a statement?

Someone may not be asked for the statement, but it's well within the realm of possibility they will be.

Personally, I would rather have the documents and not be asked than to be asked and not have them.

If one of their ports is in Mexico, it is to be expected they will ask for those documents. I have read a number of times here that people have needed to present those papers to the authorities.

Why even think of taking the chance of being denied boarding if you don't have them? Shouldn't be a problem preparing what you need and having the peace of mind.

All you need are the cruise tickets, birth cert. and/or passports.

When our grandchildren come to visit us for a few days, their parents always send their insurance information. Not necessary, I'm sure, but would be easier to have it than not, should something happen. If I were taking them on a cruise, I'd surely think it would be prudent.

Plus the things Ruth and Sail have mentioned.

Better to be safe than sorry.

HAL would not let my sons on board the ship until they saw the notarized documents from my boys' Dad giving me permission to take my boys even though I am the birth mother.

I believe grandparents would need everything mentioned above to get onboard. We have cruised with my boys 3 times (2 times HAL, one time Disney) and I was asked every single time for all the notarized paperwork.

Have a great cruise with the grandkids!:D

A couple of weeks ago we had a post very similar to this. I again called HAL and after working my way through the food chain, I was told at first that HAL required the notarized letters from both parents and the birth certs. The reason depending on the countries being visited some countries require notarized and some don't, so they have a blanket policy to require the notarized letters. After pressing a supervisor she admitted that there is so much confusion on this matter and strongly recommends to bring the notarized letters but they might not ask for them. Great answer!!!

In going to the U.S. Department of State web site, there is a page on "traveling with minors", and links to most countries web pages which usually list the country requirements on minors. As an example Mexico requires a notarized statement from both parents that includes when, where and how the minors will be traveling in Mexico plus a birth certificate. Canada strongly suggests the same. In traveling to the Caribbean, I could find no countries/islands that required them except if stopping in Mexico or Panama.

Just a note, the last time I took my grand son to Cabo from San Diego in March of 06, because we had his passport, neither the airline or the Mexican officals asked for anything more.

Just a note, when we travel to Mexico or Canada, I get the notarized letters and when we travel to Europe we don't. Go figure.

I hope you have a wonderful trip as I have had with my grand children. It's to bad we have to deal with their parents.

It's to bad we have to deal with their parents.
I know what you mean. But if you CAN deal with them, be thankful. One mom is having a real difficult time taking her son on a Disney cruise because the kid's father, for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist. A deadbeat dad who never communicates at all and whose whereabouts are unknown. Kind of hard to get anything signed from him. IIRC it was going to require something from the court, even though she has full custody. It's a real mess.

If one of their ports is in Mexico, it is to be expected they will ask for those documents. I have read a number of times here that people have needed to present those papers to the authorities.

Why even think of taking the chance of being denied boarding if you don't have them? Shouldn't be a problem preparing what you need and having the peace of mind.

Good point, and even if you don't think you are going here, there is always a chance Mexico could be a port substitution in the Western Carribean.

Fireofficer 5...Did your cruise include any stops in Canada or Mexico? Because it those two countries that have the stiff requirements on minors.

Also, you never know when Mexico will get substituted for Grand Cayman etc.

I think it may be harder for women as their child may have a different last name. We have never been stopped anywhere and have never brought a notorized letter from my stepdaughter's mother. Her name matches her father and they just assume I am the mother (All the women I know keep their same name when they get married these days)....We have full custody. I doubt they would ask "Are you her mother". If that was the case every same sex couple would need legal papers showing the child has two mothers or two fathers...We are bringing notorized letters for a teenage friend because of course she will not be with an adult with the same last name.

Get notorized statements from both parents authorizing the trip, all the ports you'll visit, and consent for emergency medical treatment. Jade13 provided a form that covers anything and I'll use it on my next cruise.

Even though I have physical custody of my son, his dad & I share legal custody. I always take our divorce decree and a notorized statement from his dad. I was asked for it for our Oosterdam cruise in Jan'06 and our Grand Princess cruise Nov'07. Both times I was told that I was well prepared. I also take a copy of the court paperwork showing how the custody is broken down. Better that than being denied boarding.

On the other hand, a girlfriend of mine took her 16 y/o daughter on a Carnival cruise. The dad refused to sign. Carnival said he didn't need to and it wasn't a problem. I'd just hate to take the chance.

Get notorized statements from both parents authorizing the trip, all the ports you'll visit, and consent for emergency medical treatment. Jade13 provided a form that covers anything and I'll use it on my next cruise.

Even though I have physical custody of my son, his dad & I share legal custody. I always take our divorce decree and a notorized statement from his dad. I was asked for it for our Oosterdam cruise in Jan'06 and our Grand Princess cruise Nov'07. Both times I was told that I was well prepared. I also take a copy of the court paperwork showing how the custody is broken down. Better that than being denied boarding.

On the other hand, a girlfriend of mine took her 16 y/o daughter on a Carnival cruise. The dad refused to sign. Carnival said he didn't need to and it wasn't a problem. I'd just hate to take the chance.

This is from exp. I'm divorced and I brought my daughter and her friend on a cruise. They were 16 years old. Also this is a cruise, not a flight.

If this were my decision I wouldn't take your one instance as gosple when others have had a different experience.

I went to the eastern carib. There is a lot of erronious information out there. Get the paper work done if that will make you feel comfortable. But I ask all of you, when do the authorties in mexico ask cruise ship passangers anything at all, ever? I've been on 45 cruises and the only goverment officals who asked any questions were the United States.

Archived