Sorting out Taha'a

gerena

Giving some thought to the different excursions for Taha'a. Hear the Coral Garden is awesome. Sooooo---my questions

1. The Coral Garden Drift Snorkeling is only for experienced snorkelers as it is a drift snorkel. Inexperienced snorkelers should do the Black Perl Farm Adventure. " However when one reads about that one, it says, in the second paragraph, "this motu is located close to a pass where "experienced snorkelers" can observe the drop off of the reef. What is the difference?

Have given thought to Bruno, but can't find out anything on his website as to what the tour includes, where it goes, times, cost, etc. etc.

We would like to participate in the PG motu picnic on Mahana and that might interfere with Bruno since he also does a motu picnic.

Can some suggest the best way to get to the coral garden. My husband wants to see pretty colorful coral in the worst way--I'm in to the fish, but where there is coral, there will be fish!!!

We also have to consider our OBC!

Have given thought to Bruno, but can't find out anything on his website as to what the tour includes, where it goes, times, cost....
Bruno's website provides a detailed map with description of all the sites he visits on his classic L'excursion Bleue. Click Excursion for full interactive display and then click Tariff for pricing info. All his tours require a small deposit (US$20 pp) to be paid in advance.

http://www.tahaa.net

Bruno's website provides a detailed map with description of all the sites he visits on his classic L'excursion Bleue. Click Excursion for full interactive display and then click Tariff for pricing info. All his tours require a small deposit (US$20 pp) to be paid in advance.

I think I am working at this too long and hard---at first I didn't read about highlighting the numbers. Duh!! I had accessed the tariffs--but still unclear. Depending on where depart from the ship, is there an extra charge for that as indicated in Zone 2 for the PG. That would be an extra $130 pp as I figure it. But if you do the private tour, that is waives. Correct? So a private tour for 3 people would be $202 pp. Think I'll pass on that one? Would be better off using the OBC, but want to go to the coral garden there. Heard it was beautiful.

I would enjoy the Motu when you are in Tahaa. There will be plenty of corals and pretty fish elsewhere. Ask a current cruiser about the state of the corals as they are constantly changing and Tahaa looks more polluted now then was before. Coral will likely be better in Tuamotus

Gerena, the problem that I see with doing Bruno's tour from Tahaa is that you would have to sacrifice at least part of your time on Motu Mahana. From all accounts, it is an exceptional day of pure bliss, so why would you want to leave it for a tour?

That said, I also understand the draw of seeing the coral gardens on Tahaa. You're right that Bruno has different prices depending on the pick-up point. The full-day L'excursion bleue is priced at 10,000 xpf pp from the cruise ship pier. I wouldn't pay his US$ prices as he uses a very unattractive exchange. His private tours are quoted individually. Since we have a short port call on Raiatea, I contacted Bruno about snorkeling the coral gardens and reef. Details are on my 7-day Societies RC if you're interested.

Stick with Motu Mahana and just chill. :D:D

I agree about just chilling on the motu, it's great. But, the last time I was there, the coral wasn't in great shape. That was before the last typhoon, as well, so not sure what that did. Not that there wasn't stuff to see, but you do have to go fairly far out on the outside of the channel.

There used to be some great snorkeling around Raiatea, why don't you have a look at that?

Thanks cruisers! I did check on Bruno's 4 hour tour that MightyQuinn mentioned and it is the afternoon, ending at 5. The ship leaves at 5. So perhaps I'll do something in the AM with a shore ex off the boat and then join up at the Motu.

That is sad that the coral is not in good shape. The reviews of the Coral Garden seem to be a few years back. I was just hoping my husband could find his beautiful coral.

I know it is part of the string of islets very near Tahaa as usually on the MM day you have a sail past or sometimes a circumnavigation of Tahaa. Dont know whether its north of Tahaa or not.

Emdee or Wendy, where is Motu Mahana located? Is it part of the string of islets in the north of Tahaa? I tried to find it on Google Earth but no luck.

It is due north of Taha'a!

See: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-16.56348,-151.497989&spn=0.018223,0.053988&t=h&z=15

When I linked this on Google maps, the PG and a tender are in the shot. Motu Mahana is just to the right of the larger motu, north (up) from the PG.

[Hello from MBZBear and Mrs. Bear. Looks like we are spending about two weeks with your gang. Looking forward to some good clear snorkeling to see how good it is. Have done the Barrier Reef some years ago. Looking forward to meeting all of you The Bearsquote=gerena;28481815]Giving some thought to the different excursions for Taha'a. Hear the Coral Garden is awesome. Sooooo---my questions

1. The Coral Garden Drift Snorkeling is only for experienced snorkelers as it is a drift snorkel. Inexperienced snorkelers should do the Black Perl Farm Adventure. " However when one reads about that one, it says, in the second paragraph, "this motu is located close to a pass where "experienced snorkelers" can observe the drop off of the reef. What is the difference?

Have given thought to Bruno, but can't find out anything on his website as to what the tour includes, where it goes, times, cost, etc. etc.

We would like to participate in the PG motu picnic on Mahana and that might interfere with Bruno since he also does a motu picnic.

Can some suggest the best way to get to the coral garden. My husband wants to see pretty colorful coral in the worst way--I'm in to the fish, but where there is coral, there will be fish!!!

We also have to consider our OBC!

I don't think it's a matter of "the coral garden". I'm sure there quite a few in the area.

I was on a snorkel a couple of times where we were by a drop-off. It was great, because there tends to be a wall of coral, with fish. With a drift snorkel, there's usually a current involved, so I think that's the difference. With a drift snorkel, you have to be prepared to be calm and float above coral heads that may only be a few feet under water. The trick is to keep your feet up, and just relax and paddle quietly by.

If you're comfortable in the water, but worried about the swimming and deep water, just make sure to pick up a flotation vest when you get your snorkel and fins on the ship. You can inflate it slightly to feel more secure, or take the air out of it if you get more confident and want to dive.

It is due north of Taha'a! See: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-16.56348,-151.497989&spn=0.018223,0.053988&t=h&z=15

When I linked this on Google maps, the PG and a tender are in the shot. Motu Mahana is just to the right of the larger motu, north (up) from the PG.

Fantastic! Paradise is now found.

Thanks for posting the link.

The Bears are on the 4/16 cruise. Now to the exchange. We used Bank of America in CA and had the xpf in three days. The rate .0122299000. Comes to about 80. Plus a few dollars service charge. Really looking forward to some nice warm sunshine and lots of unique cruisers. Our ocean is too cold, need wet suit to go in. We are spoiled.

Archived