Vancouver Restaurants

We're looking for restaurant suggestions for 3 nights in Vancouver. We especially enjoy trying restaurants owned by famous chefs. We want a meal that we will always remember as special. This may be our only visit to Vancouver. Also, we want to be able to make a reservation, because we don't like spending valuable vacation time standing in line. If we need to make reservations very early in any of these restaurants, please let me know. So, when you think of that one restaurant that you would take a guest to, if you really wanted to make a lasting impression, where would it be. :D One caveat, we have a DS(13), so they must allow children. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :)

Thanks! That's exactly what we're looking for. The menu looks fabulous. :p They're closed now for renovation, so we will get to see the new & improved version. :D How far in advance should we make a reservation? I noticed that they have an online reservation system, but I'm not sure if it's available now. Also, how far is the restaurant from the Fairmont Waterfront? I'm trying to plan for transportation also. Thanks again for this great suggestion. :D

Yes, the restaurant is indeed "fab". You will need to take a cab. It's about 8 - 10 min (no more) by car from downtown. Rob is probably Vancouver's most famous (and delicious) chef. But, if you prefer to have a restaurant within walking distance of the hotel, I could also give you a few other suggestions.

When are you sailing? I would suggest making your reservation a few weeks in advance. I expect you'll be cruising to Alaska, so not until at least May. You won't have a problem if you wait until the restaurant re-opens.

Bon Appetit!

Sue

Might I suggest Simply Thai.

http://www.simplythairestaurant.com/

While Grace the owner/chef may not be as famous as Rob Feenie, the food and atmosphere at Simply Thai is top drawer. Well worth finding it!

I would strongly suggest reservations as it is a smaller restaurant, and Grace can make the food as hot or as mild as you like.

I'm there whenever I'm remotely close to Vancouver.

Bon Appetit!

The great thing about Vancouver is that great restaurants abound. We stayed in the Kitsilano district, about a 15 minute cabride from the Fairmont, and our B&B hostess directed us to Quattro on 4th, a WONDERFUL northern Italian restaurant.

There is also a seafood restaurant on Granville Island, the name of which escapes me, but it's a landmark, and any cabbie will know it. In spite of being a tourist attraction, the food was excellent. Your hotel concierge will also be able to help you - email him/her in advance and see what's recommended. And let us know - we'll be there for 3 nights in early May and are always looking for new good places!

There is also a seafood restaurant on Granville Island, the name of which escapes me, but it's a landmark, and any cabbie will know it. In spite of being a tourist attraction, the food was excellent.
Do you mean Monk McQueen's?

The thing about Granville Island is that it is NOT strictly a tourist attraction. It is frequented by locals year-round.

As for other fine dining recommendation (not necessarily chef-owned, but reknowned for their chefs):

- Bishop's on 4th Avenue (John Bishop is a chef/owner, but doesn't do much of the cooking anymore)

- Aqua Riva - next to Canada Place (view + food!)

- Fish House in Stanley Park (Karen Barnaby)

Ell52, I honestly don't know the name of the restaurant - it was a big place, had to walk upstairs to the restaurant & it had a great view of the city. I plan to drag DH around to the art galleries for a bit to see if I can find some interesting stuff for some of our bare walls.

Can't wait...

Ell52, I honestly don't know the name of the restaurant - it was a big place, had to walk upstairs to the restaurant & it had a great view of the city. I plan to drag DH around to the art galleries for a bit to see if I can find some interesting stuff for some of our bare walls.

Can't wait...

The name of the restaurant is Bridges. I agree, delicious, fresh seafood and a wonderful view of the harbour and city. You wouldn't be disappointed with Bridges if you enjoy seafood. Here is a link:

http://www.bridgesrestaurant.com/

There are so many really good restaurants in Vancouver - it can be hard to pick a favourite.

Enjoy!

Sue

Thanks for all the great suggestions. :) Sorry, I didn't post back sooner, but things have been kinda crazy around here. :eek: I remember reading about a wonderful Japanese restaurant served Teppan style, but unfortunately I forgot to write the name down. Anyone have any idea which restaurant I'm referring to? This would be 2 of our dinners, & I will check out all your suggestions in search of a 3rd. :D

We will be staying at the Pan Pacific prior to our cruise in June. My wife is a pasta-holic and when she heard about their Italian buffet Friday night she knew where to eat that night. Has anyone tried this and is it worth the money? It is also so convenient because we would prefer to eat at the hotel anyway and get a good rest for the niext day's activities.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived