Avoiding excusions in South. Carib.

FrankBud47

Hello all,

Is it possible to avoid side trips at the lister South. Carib ports.

We would just like to go ashore, find a nice beach, walk around, have a lunch and do some shopping and relax. Maybe take a local bus for a bit. We have never been to these places so don't know about them.

St. Thomas, USVI

Barbados

St. Lucia, WI

St Kitts, WI

St. Maarten, NA

Thanks,

Frank in NJ

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all,

We would just like to go ashore, find a nice beach, walk around, have a lunch and do some shopping and relax. Maybe take a local bus for a bit. We have never been to these places so don't know about them.

St. Thomas, USVI

Barbados

St. Lucia, WI

St Kitts, WI

St. Maarten, NA

Thanks,

Frank in NJ

Just did that a month ago on the Noordam, except for St. Kitts.

When we were in St. Kitts we went to the fort. It's woth the money to go there.

St. Thomas: Lindberg Beach- within walking distance

St. Maarten: Great Bay in Philipsburg- everything you want is right there

Barbados: Carlisle Beach- you'll need to take a cab from the port

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all,

St. Thomas, USVI

Barbados

St. Lucia, WI

St Kitts, WI

St. Maarten, NA

Thanks,

Frank in NJ

In St Thomas, for example, you can walk and shop if docked at Havensight, and you can walk to the Sky Ride to Paradise Point (highly recommended). All other ports have shopping nearby at least. St Thomas has duty-free shopping in Charlotte Amalie.

I would recommend taking a taxi to one of the beautiful beaches on Barbados, St Kitts, ot St Marteen though as you are in the Caribbean and the beaches are gorgeous.

• 1 month later...
Hello all,

St. Thomas, USVI

Barbados

St. Lucia, WI

St Kitts, WI

St. Maarten, NA

Thanks,

Frank in NJ

Hi,

I just took a cruise on 4/22 that went to all of these islands. I don't like booking excursions through the ship because I enjoy seeing the islands and exploring them on our own. In St. Thomas I went to Coral World and did the helmet dive. This same excursion costs $20 more doing it via a ship excursion and you have to go and return on their schedule. We took a taxi to Coral World for $10, explored the aquarium, did the helmet dive, then went to Coki Beach and hung out there for a few hours. The beach was nice and right next to the aquarium. Afterwards we took a taxi back to the ship and did some shopping. There is a mall right at the port.

In st. Lucia we took a taxi to the downtown area and did some shopping and sightseeing then had a late lunch. I love trying local food and you probably won't get that opportunity on a ship sponsored excursion. Of all these islands, I think St. Lucia had the best shopping.

In st. Kitts again we went into town and did some sightseeing and shopping. Then we hired a local taxi driver to take us to the Caribelle Batik plantation. This was a very beautiful plantation.

In St. Martin we went to downtown Phillipsburg (the dutch side) and did some sightseeing and shopping, then went to the beach which was right there in the shopping area. It was my favorite beach of all these islands.

In Barbados I was not impressed with their downtown area. It was very dirty and run down. So we didn't stay downtown long. I found a local that gave us a taxi tour and a ride to the natural wildlife preserve which was very beautiful.

On all the islands, except St. Martin, expect locals to be pushy regarding coming into their store/restaurant or taking their taxi tour.

On all of the islands the taxi drivers were very nice and friendly. They are all very into telling tourists about the history of their island. They also pointed things of interest out on the way to where we were going.

Hello all,

St. Thomas, USVI

Barbados

St. Lucia, WI

St Kitts, WI

St. Maarten, NA

Thanks,

Frank in NJ

The islands have so much to offer and see, why just around on the first beach you come to. I know its what you make of it, but there is sooo much to see and do. Just sayin.... ;)

Archived