Crusing with a lapband

DES07

this will be my first cruise since I have gotten my lapband... I know this is going to be a little different for us. I feel so bad when I can't eat everything on my plate when we go out to dinner. So, when we are in the main dinning room for dinner do you think people will think I am wasting food? but, from what I can remember the amount you get isn't huge.

So, anyone here have the lapband if so, let me know how you do it.

Don't worry what folks think, first of all! You've done something good for your health! Explain if you WISH to....no need to, tho!

You could always tell your waiter what's up, since they will act quite concerned if you don't eat alot....but again...no need to explain yourself at all! Eat as little as you want.

hello des07,

i agree with cb at sea,you have done something good for yourself,i have a mate who has a lapband and he really sticks to it when he is at home,but gets it loosened when he goes on holidays(not a good idea).but when he is at home etc he overeats to the point where he is sick and throws up.

my wife and i have been on 4 cruises (5th in november)and from what i have seen with people wasting food, i would not worry at all if i were you.i am always amazed when people are at a buffet, whether it be on a ship or on shore, how they pile up there plates like theres no tomorrow,and leave a heap of food behind.

stick to your lapband and have a bl--dy great cruise,and for goodness sake, don't worry about what anybody else thinks.

hope the band helps you mate

regards.

I had the full gastric bypass 3 years ago. Funny with as much as I eat I still lose weight on a cruise and seem to gain when I return to "regular" life. If the waiter asks if the food is ok, I have explained to them that I had surgery and cannot eat much or fast. They have been very understanding and have offered to put it on a plate, and give silverware, so I can take it back to my cabin and have told me not to feel rushed to take as long as I need to to finish the meal. Keep up the good work. It is well worth it. (side note: I have lost 180 lbs and kept it off and have done 4 cruises since then)

I had the full gastric bypass 3 years ago. Funny with as much as I eat I still lose weight on a cruise and seem to gain when I return to "regular" life. If the waiter asks if the food is ok, I have explained to them that I had surgery and cannot eat much or fast. They have been very understanding and have offered to put it on a plate, and give silverware, so I can take it back to my cabin and have told me not to feel rushed to take as long as I need to to finish the meal. Keep up the good work. It is well worth it. (side note: I have lost 180 lbs and kept it off and have done 4 cruises since then)

Well done on your weight loss. Fantastic for you. :)

Enjoy yourself and don't worry what people think. I don't have a lap band, but I can never finish what's on my plate at restaurants. My approach is to just be honest and tell the waitstaff the food was great, but I fill up quickly. And saying "I get full quickly" usually goes over better than "I'm full" for some reason. :confused:

You could also try asking for half size portions. They may or may not accommodate you, but if they know you requested the smaller portion, they won't quiz you about why you didn't finish. And I think maybe they do that because the chefs want to know whether the food is satisfactory. I'm not sure, but I do understand the pull of the clean plate club.:)

I do not have a lapband, but a RNY pouch with a short DS common channel.

The small pouch prevents me from eating a full course meal. I order according to what myself and any companions cruising with me may want to try. That way I get to taste more than one entree, and whoever is with me can do justice to the meal. It;s either my children or husband, and the cruiselines have never made me feel uncomfortable.

After a few meals, the waiters understand I won't be wipping the plate clean!

So order, and enjoy what you do eat, and resist that one more bite when you know you've hit you limit.

Have fun!

• 9 months later...

We're leaving in five days for my first cruise since my RNY gastric bypass. I'm four month post-op, and tolerate things pretty well with few side effects, so I've been very lucky.

I figured that I might actually eat better on the cruise since someone else is cooking for me. :) I'm normally so busy that an omelet for breakfast and fish for dinner every day is hard to do.

I don't crave sweets, so skipping dessert isn't hard. It's saying no to the wine that will be a struggle.

Archived