Princess Lines Chef Dinner

californiagirl072

Princess Lines Chefs dinner. We will be sailing on the Emerald Princess in June and are curious if anyone has experienced the Chef's specialty dinner. We know it's extra$$ curious what the food and experience is like and if anyone would recommend it.

Californiagirl072:D

Princess Lines Chefs dinner. We will be sailing on the Emerald Princess in June and are curious if anyone has experienced the Chef's specialty dinner. We know it's extra$$ curious what the food and experience is like and if anyone would recommend it.

Californiagirl072 :D

I've seen lots of discussion about the Chef's Table on the Princess page. You might post your question or do a search there. Good luck! :)

Californiagirl072:D

I had this experience a few years ago and thought it was well worth the price. We were given a galley tour, had appetizers and champagne in the galley with the Head chef and Maitre d'Hotel and a waiter assigned to us. Each appetizer was discussed and I ate things I thought I never would, all of them excellent! I would suggest going with an appetite and an open mind; if you are not the type to be adventurous with food (pate, caviar, cevieche) then it's probably not worth doing for you because there will be too many items you won't enjoy. After this coure we were escourted to our own table in the dining room. We were served a multicourse meal, each paired with it's own wine, including dessert. I was STUFFED at the end of the meal. Our photo was taken with the Chef and we were given this and a copy of the ship's cook book and these were included in the price of dinner. It was great enough that I'd do it again. It can be challenging to get one of the limited and coveted seats; one has to call the head waiter (or go to see him) on arrival to the ship and request a slot. You are notified in advance of attaining a slot; we were given a spot after someone else cancelled. Unless things have changed it is a very popular dining option.

Laurie

Hi Californialgirl -

It's a first come aboard rush really. If you are dedicated getting "invited," you must board early and immediately call the dine line from the cabin. I understand you can go to the specialty restaurant signup areas and throw your hat into the ring, I'm not quite sure of where to best do that. I've done the Chef's Table twice, and it's a tremendous experience, first was of course the best.

You don't have a chance in hades if you get on board later than the first group or two for boarding. For a 7-day sailing there are only two of these held, 12 people at a time. So if you do the math with some 3,000 pax, you get the picture. I don't know if they add any more for 10-day voyages or longer. If you get to the terminal very early and feverishly call the line, you won't get any assurances either...they will send you an "invitation" to your cabin a day later if you are "selected," for a meeting about the event if you're in the clear running. Then you'll have to attend a meeting with the Maitre D' and they will lay out the rules and such, and you must sign an agreement regarding those rules. No food allergies accepted. No open toed shoes. Other stuff. But yes, it is first come, and you have to plan to be on board early to get a shot. I did sit next to a man the second time around who hinted his connections got him a seat there once, but I doubt this is the norm.

Ask away if you have any questions at all about the experience, I'll be happy to provide details! Just know that the majority of people that were at the two that I attended were cruise critic fellow members...who knew the ropes about how to snag a seat! I believe there are quite a few threads in the Princess Cruises boards about this.

Cheers,

Marlene

Hi Californialgirl -

It's a first come aboard rush really. If you are dedicated getting "invited," you must board early and immediately call the dine line from the cabin. I understand you can go to the specialty restaurant signup areas and throw your hat into the ring, I'm not quite sure of where to best do that. I've done the Chef's Table twice, and it's a tremendous experience, first was of course the best.

You don't have a chance in hades if you get on board later than the first group or two for boarding. For a 7-day sailing there are only two of these held, 12 people at a time. So if you do the math with some 3,000 pax, you get the picture. I don't know if they add any more for 10-day voyages or longer. If you get to the terminal very early and feverishly call the line, you won't get any assurances either...they will send you an "invitation" to your cabin a day later if you are "selected," for a meeting about the event if you're in the clear running. Then you'll have to attend a meeting with the Maitre D' and they will lay out the rules and such, and you must sign an agreement regarding those rules. No food allergies accepted. No open toed shoes. Other stuff. But yes, it is first come, and you have to plan to be on board early to get a shot. I did sit next to a man the second time around who hinted his connections got him a seat there once, but I doubt this is the norm.

Ask away if you have any questions at all about the experience, I'll be happy to provide details! Just know that the majority of people that were at the two that I attended were cruise critic fellow members...who knew the ropes about how to snag a seat! I believe there are quite a few threads in the Princess Cruises boards about this.

Cheers,

Marlene

The Mr. & I want to do this. Hopefully, we'll make the cut! #fingerscrossed ;)

We did the Chef's table on the Ruby and it was the most magnificent meal I have ever had (fillet, lobster tail, scallops and rack of lamb)....all delicious and presented beautifully. Did it again on the Golden Princess and it was awful....small portions of veal....really overcooked and bad. See if you can get the one with steak and lobster...they only do that once each trip. Enjoy!!!

Archived