San Blas islands??

mrsfuzzmo

Years ago we did a cruise with an anchored stop at the San Blas Islands off of Panama. It was an amazing experience and would love to go there again someday. I'm guessing they don't have any port stops there anymore (haven't seen one in years) but does anyone know if there are any excursions to San Blas from the mainland on a Panama type cruise?

Not many ships stop there now, I recently read on this board where the Veendam (HAL) was making a stop/s there. The San Blas Islands are probably a little too far for the time you have in a port call. I'm not sure how it is handled now, but when I was there you used to have to get a flight to Povenir which I believe is on the mainland and catch a boat to the Islands. I think if you were able to jump through all those hoops your time there would be minimal.

Not many ships stop there now, I recently read on this board where the Veendam (HAL) was making a stop/s there. The San Blas Islands are probably a little too far for the time you have in a port call. I'm not sure how it is handled now, but when I was there you used to have to get a flight to Povenir which I believe is on the mainland and catch a boat to the Islands. I think if you were able to jump through all those hoops your time there would be minimal.

Thanks! We were lucky enough to anchor right at the islands and tender in. The natives were beautiful and their clothing and needlwork were outstanding. We took a dug-out canoe around the islands as an ecursion, then hung out on two of them for shopping in the little stalls and talking to the Cuna indians. Gosh it's gorgeous there, so remote and yet so close.

• 1 month later...

The San Blas Islands are a good reason to return to Panama and spend some quality time experiencing the country including the San Blas islands. You'll find molas for sale all over, but one of the best selections of Guna (the new preferred spelling of Kuna) molas as well as Embera and Wounaan baskets is at the Craft Market behind the old YMCA in Balboa. There are also some stores in the Casco Viejo (often on tours called "Colonial Panama) that have some great selection as well.

Regards, Richard

Archived