Viking River launches ocean cruising line

Interesting news last night out of Los Angeles as Viking revealed details for the long-planned (and long-teased) ocean cruise line. It has a lot in common with its river operation (and of course lots in common with what you'd expect from an ocean-bound cruise ship). Would you be tempted to try Viking's ocean operation? Check out the details here (and tell us below): http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5356.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

PS Viking's only marketing in North America at the moment -- will launch sales in the UK & AU in fall.

Carolyn, we were invited to this but family committments kept us from accepting the offer of a trip to the West coast. Am very anxious to see just what they offer in itineraries. Really hope this venture is not more than they can handle financially. Pat

Itineraries are pretty good. However I’d expect something more interesting: e.g. they start from Istanbus. Why Black See ports were not included? Or the Holy Land? We’ve been to almost all ports advertised but will definitely book something either next year or in 2015.

Hi, Pat. My understanding is that Viking did a round of financing this spring expressely aimed at the oceans' project so I think they're just fine....

Carolyn

Carolyn, we were invited to this but family committments kept us from accepting the offer of a trip to the West coast. Am very anxious to see just what they offer in itineraries. Really hope this venture is not more than they can handle financially. Pat

This is actually the only criticism I've heard about the oceans' product. I'm meeting with Viking later today, will ask for more explanation. I would imagine that with one ship they might be more limited (for instance Torstein Hagen definitely said he'd love to send one of the ships to Alaska at some point).

Carolyn

Itineraries are pretty good. However I’d expect something more interesting: e.g. they start from Istanbus. Why Black See ports were not included? Or the Holy Land? We’ve been to almost all ports advertised but will definitely book something either next year or in 2015.

If they deliver the product shown in the brochure, this looks like the perfect cruise line for us. The design of the ship is modern and elegant, the focus on regional cuisine is something all cruise lines should do, and the prices are reasonable for the all-inclusive amenities. It seems to be competing with Crystal and Regent; if they deliver that level of service at a lower price point they should do well.

I agree that the 2015 itineraries aren't that unusual. I assume this first year they are focused on getting the Viking Ocean name out and attracting cruisers from other lines who are familiar with these ports. I hope that beginning in 2016 we will start to see more unusual ports, as Viking Ocean has more ships to deploy and needs to interest repeat customers.

Already you can see the potential of the small-ship approach: Greenwich rather than Dover for London, and Rouen rather than Le Havre for Paris. And don't overlook the end of the first cruise segment: Baltic Sea cruises rarely include Norway, and certainly not in this depth. I also like the way they planned the four itineraries to link up so that you can have a 50-day Euro-centric "world cruise" (no stranger than Crystal's South America-only "world cruise").

This is a very promising beginning.

We are longtime Silversea (about 100 days) and Regent (over 100 days) cruisers.

After viewing Viking's video below and spending 30 min on the Ocean Cruise website, We booked the maiden, Viking Homelands (Bergen to Stockholm) besides Norway, Finland, Denmark, it includes Russia and Germany. Was the first to call Viking this morning--can't wait. Already recruited fellow ccr Harbormaster to join us. Viking Starr is stunning (infinity pool, OMG) full promenade jogging track on deck2 (interesting location) most alfresco dining areas at sea.

Carolyn, have sent Host Dan and LauraS an email with this request..would you please put Viking Ocean cruises under P-Z (had to post under other cruise lines for roll call too). Also, asked our TA (top seller of Viking River cruises) to recommend to the owner (Tor Hagen)/Viking leadership to consider a formal Cruise Critic and Viking Ocean cruise meet & mingle program. CC's Meet & Mingle is a wonderful program that will help build buzz prior to the VS's maiden season. Silversea just adopted the CC Meet & Mingle program this week (approached the President of Silversea a year ago and she did research for six months and agreed)

http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/...itinerary.aspx

About the ship:

http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/.../shiplist.aspx

For us exciting news as we are getting burned out on larger ships and find the itinerary out of Instanbul interesting. That combined with the fact we really like the current Viking product which they are carrying over to the new venture bodes well for a future booking for us. One question I had was whether or not the current Viking Explorer Society program will apply to both river and ocean cruises and if there are any plans for expanding the benefits provided by the program.

War Eagle, believe the Viking referral program for River cruises works, another CC couple who had sailed Viking gave us a referral..as I understand we will both get a SBC from Viking.

War Eagle, believe the Viking referral program for River cruises works, another CC couple who had sailed Viking gave us a referral..as I understand we will both get a SBC from Viking.

Colonel Wes, that too, but talking about expanding the overall loyalty program. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Just booked the Viking Star B2B Viking Homelands and Passage through Western Europe. The ship looks very exciting! As noted elsewhere on the thread, Viking Oceans needs an appropriate home. With two ships, it will be on a par with Azamara Club Cruises and should have equal status.

-- roy --

JiminyC..either Stockholm to Bergen or Maiden are wonderful itineraries...but as the movie Titantic mentioned, imagine being the first VS guests to enjoy the luxurious linens in your suite, first guests to use the tableware in dining venues--maiden will be a special voyage.

Roy, Welcome to the maiden voyage. Now with Ida, I, Harbormaster/John & Kathy, we also have RachelG/George and Rachel, and Sue and Ron. Am betting our Maiden group will be about 20-40 folks by May 2015. Am working with our TA to gently nudge Viking leadership to adopt Cruise Critic for a formal Meet & Greet. Not withstanding this development, will take the lead--when we did the maiden crossing for Silver Spirit in Jan 2010--we jump started our wonderful maiden comraderie by having a cocktail hour at one of our pre cruise hotels. Am considering Viking pre stay, but need to do homework on Bergen hotels. We will arrive Bergen at least a full day early.

Propose that we have our meet & mingle the first night on board since we have numerous port days in a row. How about 6:30-7:00pm the first nite in the Explorer's lounge (upper level if available, deck 9)?

Also, heard back from CC Community Mgr, and asked her to give Viking their own thread identity on the P-Z ocean lines--she said stay tuned.

Ps..Roy, pls join our Roll call (other roll call thread) here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1846021

JiminyC..either Stockholm to Bergen or Maiden are wonderful itineraries...but as the movie Titantic mentioned, imagine being the first VS guests to enjoy the luxurious linens in your suite, first guests to use the tableware in dining venues--maiden will be a special voyage.

Roy, Welcome to the maiden voyage. Now with Ida, I, Harbormaster/John & Kathy, we also have RachelG/George and Rachel, and Sue and Ron. Am betting our Maiden group will be about 20-40 folks by May 2015. Am working with our TA to gently nudge Viking leadership to adopt Cruise Critic for a formal Meet & Greet. Not withstanding this development, will take the lead--when we did the maiden crossing for Silver Spirit in Jan 2010--we jump started our wonderful maiden comraderie by having a cocktail hour at one of our pre cruise hotels. Am considering Viking pre stay, but need to do homework on Bergen hotels. We will arrive Bergen at least a full day early.

Propose that we have our meet & mingle the first night on board since we have numerous port days in a row. How about 6:30-7:00pm the first nite in the Explorer's lounge (upper level if available, deck 9)?

Also, heard back from CC Community Mgr, and asked her to give Viking their own thread identity on the P-Z ocean lines--she said stay tuned.

Ps..Roy, pls join our Roll call (other roll call thread) here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1846021

Colonel,

looking into this as well. Try Hotel Park Bergen or the Clarion Admiral, those are my favorites. Each in a great location, charming and reasonably prices.

Cheers!

Host Andy just posted the Viking Ocean forum will open Monday--he will be the moderator. Kudos Host Andy and thanks to CC for establishing a stand alone forum for Viking Ocean cruises.

Host Andy just posted the Viking Ocean forum will open Monday--he will be the moderator. Kudos Host Andy and thanks to CC for establishing a stand alone forum for Viking Ocean cruises.

This is great. It will provide much better visibility and allow us, as early adopters, a better way to share information about these new offerings.

Thanks Host Andy.

-- roy --

Archived