ms Veendam - No Air-conditioning, ventilation system - Drydock April 2014

Jade13

I was just told that Veendam does not have an air-conditioning system, but a ventilation system.

The next dry dock is scheduled for April 2014 (no, I did not ask what was planned).

I was told that if anyone wanted more information on the ventilation system to contact Guest Services (from the US) at 1.800.541.1576

I was just told that Veendam does not have an air-conditioning system, but a ventilation system.

SOMETHING was cooling the air when we were on her!! :D The system is commonly called an HVAC - Heating/Ventilating/Air-Conditioning. Maybe that's where the confusion came from --- or maybe someone was being sarcastic.

The system cooled fine when we were on her Oct '11.

We were on the Veendam in May and our room - and the ship - was perfectly fine. I brought a thermometer and it read 68 degrees consistently in our stateroom - maybe this is a usual upgrade. It seemed to be the same system that's on the Maasdam. You've been on both, Carol...didn't they seem the same to you?

Maybe they're upgrading the air on all the older "S" and "R" class ships to a newer system.

While on the repo from South America we had the pleasure of having dinner with the chief engineer one evening. He mentioned that on the S and R ships the A/C (the term he used) was circulated throug a block of cabins. However on the Vista and Signature Class ships the A/C is circulated only in the in the individual cabin.

He never mentioned that it was not A/C, but a ventilating system. Seriously. I was on that ship for 31 days and never felt uncomfortable in my stateroom. I could adjust the climate control to accommodate the area of the world in which we were traveling. When we were down around Cape Horn and Ushuaia the heating system worked fine, and that is what you needed. Whe we were at the equator, the a/c was doing its job as well.

Terri

While on the repo from South America we had the pleasure of having dinner with the chief engineer one evening. He mentioned that on the S and R ships the A/C (the term he used) was circulated throug a block of cabins. However on the Vista and Signature Class ships the A/C is circulated only in the in the individual cabin.

He never mentioned that it was not A/C, but a ventilating system. Seriously. I was on that ship for 31 days and never felt uncomfortable in my stateroom. I could adjust the climate control to accommodate the area of the world in which we were traveling. When we were down around Cape Horn and Ushuaia the heating system worked fine, and that is what you needed. Whe we were at the equator, the a/c was doing its job as well.

Terri

That's interesting, Terri. We've been on both S class and Vista class ships, and the a/c has always worked just fine.

Sounds like the OP got yet another erroneous answer from Seattle. I don't even bother calling them anymore.

The next dry dock is scheduled for April 2014 (no, I did not ask what was planned).

I was told that if anyone wanted more information on the ventilation system to contact Guest Services (from the US) at 1.800.541.1576

Sorry, but your post is missing important qualifying details to leave the reader in a state of confusion. :confused: Maybe you can expand on this or explain what your point is with the bare statements you just made.

1. Told this by whom?

2 How does this explain passenger reports the A/C has been working fine?

3. How does this explain passenger reports the ship was "too cold"?

4. Why didn't you ask what was planned for dry dock?

5. Did you contact Guest Services?

6. Will you report what Guest Services told you?

Thank you.

To future readers: Veendam HAS A/C. It is, from all reports from the past two months, worked everywhere (in fact too cold for many).

The S/R systems are designed differently, and as they age they will be replaced to likely more efficient models. Just like when you replace your 15 year old house a/c.

Sorry, but your post is missing important qualifying details to leave the reader in a state of confusion. :confused: Maybe you can expand on this or explain what your point is with the bare statements you just made.

1. Told this by whom?

2 How does this explain passenger reports the A/C has been working fine?

3. How does this explain passenger reports the ship was "too cold"?

4. Why didn't you ask what was planned for dry dock?

5. Did you contact Guest Services?

6. Will you report what Guest Services told you?

Thank you.

The title is confusing as well. It leads those who haven't sailed her to believe there is no a/c and/or ventilation system. I'm not sure what your definition is of "ventilation system", but the Veendam HAS A/C! As has been stated here, perhaps they intend to upgrade...just as we do at home. In fact, DH is out right now replacing/upgrading two of the window units at our inn!

It's too late for you to change that but perhaps you could ask Host Walt to correct it.

However on the Vista and Signature Class ships the A/C is circulated only in the in the individual cabin.
We were on the Noordam when it was about 6 months old. One night a bearing overheated in one on the HVAC blowers. It pumped smoke into approximately 50 cabins on each of three decks (6, 7, 8) which were all in the same zone.

I don't know maybe we're talking semantics here. From all the reports I've heard the Veendam has a 'cooling system' that is working well.

He never mentioned that it was not A/C, but a ventilating system.

Terri

That must've been Tom Mahon, British fellow. Great guy to chat with, really knows his stuff (obviously!).

Also, was just on the Veendam last week, HVAC worked perfectly in our cabin. Cold when set to it and warm when it was chilly and windy out. Some parts of the ship were ICE COLD, specifically where the vents were in large rooms/hallways.

That must've been Tom Mahon, British fellow. Great guy to chat with, really knows his stuff (obviously!).

Also, was just on the Veendam last week, HVAC worked perfectly in our cabin. Cold when set to it and warm when it was chilly and windy out. Some parts of the ship were ICE COLD, specifically where the vents were in large rooms/hallways.

It was Tom Mahon. A very nice gentleman. We had a lovely dinner with him and his wife and three other couples on a formal night. I don't remember how the subject of the A/C came up but he gave us all a very detailed explanation of the whole system and the difference between the R and S class ships and the Vista and Signature Classes.

Terri

It was Tom Mahon. A very nice gentleman. We had a lovely dinner with him and his wife and three other couples on a formal night. I don't remember how the subject of the A/C came up but he gave us all a very detailed explanation of the whole system and the difference between the R and S class ships and the Vista and Signature Classes.

Terri

Okay, what an opportunity. Did he by chance confirm anything about (drum roll please) ....forcing balcony doors open causing havoc to others sharing the same HVAC circuits?

Which I now gather only would affect the R and S class ships who share the same HVAC circuits, while Vista ships and higher do not.

However, that report about smoke affecting multiple cabins on a Vista ship once it got into the "system" is an interesting wrinkle, though that smoke could have entered before the system branched off into the individual cabins.

Okay, what an opportunity. Did he by chance confirm anything about (drum roll please) ....forcing balcony doors open causing havoc to others sharing the same HVAC circuits?

Which I now gather only would affect the R and S class ships who share the same HVAC circuits, while Vista ships and higher do not.

However, that report about smoke affecting multiple cabins on a Vista ship once it got into the "system" is an interesting wrinkle, though that smoke could have entered before the system branched off into the individual cabins.

I'd venture a guess that the Noordam is too new to have had the a/c system changed already. She was christened in '06.

Actually, I do not know for sure if they, the Signature and Vista Class ships do or do not share the Ventilation/HVAC with other staterooms. BUT, What I do know for a fact is that they sure share something because of reports from fellow Cruise Critic Members (and one complaint I actually overheard in December 2010, while I was aboard Nieuw Amsterdam) about a year or so ago who had extreme food smells (think grease smells from french fries here) entering their staterooms through the vents in their staterooms. IIRC those were on Deck 7 and 8, but could have been more on other decks as well.

So, it is my guess that they do share ventilation/HVAC systems, though mine is only a guess from what I've read and heard...

Joanie

Actually, I do not know for sure if they, the Signature and Vista Class ships do or do not share the Ventilation/HVAC with other staterooms. BUT, What I do know for a fact is that they sure share something because of reports from fellow Cruise Critic Members (and one complaint I actually overheard in December 2010, while I was aboard Nieuw Amsterdam) about a year or so ago who had extreme food smells (think grease smells from french fries here) entering their staterooms through the vents in their staterooms. IIRC those were on Deck 7 and 8, but could have been more on other decks as well.

So, it is my guess that they do share ventilation/HVAC systems, though mine is only a guess from what I've read and heard...

Joanie

Well, Joanie, I guess you have better information than the Chief Engineer!

terri

I am sorry, but we did not discuss that. I certainly was not going to go that route at the dinner table on a formal night. The other couples except another that was on our roll call, were not members of cc and I was not going to start a discussion about open balcony doors, smoke, etc. that have been discussed ad naseum on this board.

Terri

Sounds like more unfounded gossip.

Oh, please. From the Chief Engineer??? :rolleyes:

When did you ever have one of them lead you in the wrong direction regarding matters such as this..

We had a long chat on the Noordam at the Sea View Pool one year with the Chief Engineer...he was so knowledgable on all ship-related matters.

Oh, please. From the Chief Engineer??? :rolleyes:

When did you ever have one of them lead you in the wrong direction regarding matters such as this..

We had a long chat on the Noordam at the Sea View Pool one year with the Chief Engineer...he was so knowledgable on all ship-related matters.

Thank you Sheila. It appears that on this board, if it doesn't come from one of the "knowledgeable" ones, or they don't give their "imprimatur," then even if the Almighty Himself said it, it would be discredited.

Terri

Thank you Sheila. It appears that on this board, if it doesn't come from one of the "knowledgeable" ones, or they don't give their "imprimatur," then even if the Almighty Himself said it, it would be discredited.

Terri

Thank you for passing on to us what you learned. We collect bits and pieces about this ongoing A/C topic and appreciate what you offered too. it is important information.

Terri

You're welcome, Terri...some of these posts are ridiculous, aren't they? Some seem to be bent on making an issue over every little thing.....

Archived