Drinks package advice

Rumark

I apologize for this post. I see that there are several posts regarding drinks packages, but they have grown quite large and its difficult to get a feeling of consensus regarding these packages.

We are travelling on the Solstice for 12 days in July.

We like to drink lots of soft drinks, but also a cocktail or two throughout the day and definitely a glass of wine or two at dinner. What is the best package to take? Is the premium package a waste of money if we're not heavy drinkers?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Basically, the Premium package is $54 a day, per person. Soda is $2 a can, a decent wine runs $7 to $9 a glass, bottled water varies between $4 to $7 a bottle (including water like Perrier), specialty coffees can be as high as $6 (think White Chocolate Mocha with Bailey's), a good martini can run $12, and mixed drinks go for between $5 to $9. So knowing that, take a guess as to how much of each beverage you'll drink each day, and if it adds up to over $54, then the Premium package is a great option.

I am assuming you will be a cruise in Europe. You will have very few sea days for drinks around the pool etc. I got the NA preminum beverage package for our Med cruise last fall. It was great. I drink diet coke and lots of bubble water, and specialty coffee. Always got bottled water when we got off the ship on the port days.

Right now all beverage packages are on sale for 10% off until June15. I got NA preminum package for $18.00 per day plus 15% gratuity.

I plan to bring my two bottles of wine on board and will try all the drinks specials and buy a couple of martinis on my next curise in DEC.

Only you can decide if it makes sense for you which package you take.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We did the 12 day Med cruise 2 years and opted for the premium alcohol package (as we've done for 2 cruises since and will for all upcoming). For us it makes sense because we drink a lot of bottled water on cruises, especially in summer and warm weather. We take bottles on the way out for excursions.

we enjoy the mochas, and lattes, as well as cocktails before dinner, wine with dinner and drinks after. Yes, it's more than we do at home, but that's the fun of it. We also enjoy getting fresh squeezed juice.

we at least break even and feel we drink more water, including sparkling water at meals, than we might without the package.

There's a current thread here for a drink calculator on Century that you could use to help you decide. And as noted, if you buy now you save 10%, which is not insignificant for a 12 night cruise.

If you are not sure, just wait until you are a day or two into the cruise and see what your drink spending is like. You can always buy onboard for the remaining days of the cruise (they prorate the cost).

Regardless what you decidee, enjoy the cruise!

All depends about how often you get off - we probably will only get off in one port out of 11, so will spend far more time onboard able to make full use of the card. If we do get off, it will be for 30-60 minutes maximum.

I am taking my first Celebrity cruise next summer so am trying to get the facts straight before I decide which cabin to book.

Fruit juices: In the am, I am used to drinking fresh squeezed orange juice or occasionally unfiltered apple juice. If I don't purchase the premium non alcoholic package, does this mean each am, I have to pay for the juice? How much is it per glass?

Also, if I choose the Aqua class, does this mean I can get unlimited bottles of water included? Would this automatically included fresh juices?

Thanks for all information. Anita

Anita:

No... an AquaClass cabin will include TWO bottles of water per cabin per day, and does NOT include fresh juices.

The non-alcohol beverage package will include water, fresh squeezed and bottled juices, soda, etc.

I apologize for this post. I see that there are several posts regarding drinks packages, but they have grown quite large and its difficult to get a feeling of consensus regarding these packages.

We are travelling on the Solstice for 12 days in July.

We like to drink lots of soft drinks, but also a cocktail or two throughout the day and definitely a glass of wine or two at dinner. What is the best package to take? Is the premium package a waste of money if we're not heavy drinkers?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Let's be honest folks, the decision on whether you should take the beverage package or not has a lot to do with how much vacation money you are willing to part with. Don't misunderstand. I'm NOT saying that somehow it's a reflection of you financial worth. I'm saying that it reflects your personality and how comfortable you are with spending for experiences.

If you are a person who is clearly concerned about what the cruise is going to cost, then I really don't think that the Premium Alcoholic package is going to be for you. Without the package, you can control your spending by deciding on each purchase whether or not you really want it. You can come out a lot cheaper because there are going to be plenty of times when you'll decide against a purchase, because you just don't want to spend the extra money.

However, if you are like myself, and many others; then you don't want to worry about what things cost and would rather not take a cruise if you are going to worry if I will be sorry about the cost of the extras. You are willing to spend extra for what comes close to an "all inclusive" experience. Let's be honest, at home, most of us won't buy very many $8, $10, or $12 drinks. Sure, one or two, but not many and not often. But when on vacation, you want to experience that feeling of "if I want something, I can have it." I walk through the shops and it quickly comes home that I cannot have that experience everywhere on the ship, but when it comes to sitting at a bar, I can.

For most of us, that's what the packages are all about. If you have to calculate how many bottles of water, how many lattes, how many sea days there are, then I suggest you forego the packages. But if it's more like, Do I want them to refill that glass of wine at dinner, or should I have Irish Cream with the after dinner coffee just because I can, then enjoy the package, because it really is a great experience.

No... an AquaClass cabin will include TWO bottles of water per cabin per day, and does NOT include fresh juices.

It is true that the standard allotment of non-premium bottled water is two bottles per cabin per day... With that said, some guests have been successful in securing additional water by arrangement with the room steward...

Blu offers freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juice at breakfast every morning... There is a charge for fresh squeezed juices if you instead have breakfast at the buffet or in the main dining room...

I am taking my first Celebrity cruise next summer so am trying to get the facts straight before I decide which cabin to book.

Fruit juices: In the am, I am used to drinking fresh squeezed orange juice or occasionally unfiltered apple juice. If I don't purchase the premium non alcoholic package, does this mean each am, I have to pay for the juice? How much is it per glass?

Also, if I choose the Aqua class, does this mean I can get unlimited bottles of water included? Would this automatically included fresh juices?

Thanks for all information. Anita

Anita:

The non-alcohol beverage package will include water, fresh squeezed and bottled juices, soda, etc.

It is true that the standard allotment of non-premium bottled water is two bottles per cabin per day... With that said, some guests have been successful in securing additional water by arrangement with the room steward...

Blu offers freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juice at breakfast every morning... There is a charge for fresh squeezed juices if you instead have breakfast at the buffet or in the main dining room...

I also think you can get fresh squeezed juice from room service when you're in an Aqua class cabin.

Let's be honest folks, the decision on whether you should take the beverage package or not has a lot to do with how much vacation money you are willing to part with. Don't misunderstand. I'm NOT saying that somehow it's a reflection of you financial worth. I'm saying that it reflects your personality and how comfortable you are with spending for experiences.

If you are a person who is clearly concerned about what the cruise is going to cost, then I really don't think that the Premium Alcoholic package is going to be for you. Without the package, you can control your spending by deciding on each purchase whether or not you really want it. You can come out a lot cheaper because there are going to be plenty of times when you'll decide against a purchase, because you just don't want to spend the extra money.

However, if you are like myself, and many others; then you don't want to worry about what things cost and would rather not take a cruise if you are going to worry if I will be sorry about the cost of the extras. You are willing to spend extra for what comes close to an "all inclusive" experience. Let's be honest, at home, most of us won't buy very many $8, $10, or $12 drinks. Sure, one or two, but not many and not often. But when on vacation, you want to experience that feeling of "if I want something, I can have it." I walk through the shops and it quickly comes home that I cannot have that experience everywhere on the ship, but when it comes to sitting at a bar, I can.

For most of us, that's what the packages are all about. If you have to calculate how many bottles of water, how many lattes, how many sea days there are, then I suggest you forego the packages. But if it's more like, Do I want them to refill that glass of wine at dinner, or should I have Irish Cream with the after dinner coffee just because I can, then enjoy the package, because it really is a great experience.

At last someone who thinks just like me!

I've bought our premium drinks packages for DH and me and can't wait to begin my holiday. For me it would be spoilt if I had to stop and think about every coffee, wine or G & T that I bought.

Even though we only have one sea day I feel for us the money spent is well worth it. We don't keep a tally to see if we have drunk enough or if the ship is wining.

Jackie

Here's to you ..... I couldn't have put it better myself.

Exactly! Well said :-)

The reason I'm on the fence is because I know myself. If I don't have a drink package, I'll *maybe* get that Cappuccino at breakfast, and *maybe* have a frozen drink by the pool, and *maybe* a scotch after dinner. I don't go to bars at home because of the $7 price tags, but when in Vegas and the drinks are free, I enjoy them.

So if I fool myself into thinking they are free (prepaid anyway) then I will have those coffees, a glass of wine at dinner, or actually get alcohol at the shows instead of soda. Even still, I need to have 4 or 5 a day all week to break even (not counting the intangible peace of mind, and based on the price of a soda package vs. a classic alcohol). Why do I agonize so much? Because the price of the classic package will cover an excursion in Alaska!

Oh yes, and don't forget that when deciding if a package is worth it, that if you're bringing two $15 bottles of wine on board, that's "10 drinks" but also 10% of the classic package. I don't see the point in bringing wine if you get the package.

/long story short, it's a personal decision

I just got off the Equinox for 10 days

They have water, juice and coffee/tea available for free all day including lemonade and iced tea

I drank a few sodas and beers during the day and beer/wine or even martinis in the evening - I didn't need a package

$5.57 for beer inc gratuity

$9.78 vodka and soda inc gratuity

$11.50 martino inc gratuity

$6.90 margarita inc grat

$7.70 glass of pinot inc grat

$2.30 soda inc gratuity

this may help you to work it out

I am assuming you will be a cruise in Europe. You will have very few sea days for drinks around the pool etc. I got the NA preminum beverage package for our Med cruise last fall. It was great. I drink diet coke and lots of bubble water, and specialty coffee. Always got bottled water when we got off the ship on the port days.

Right now all beverage packages are on sale for 10% off until June15. I got NA preminum package for $18.00 per day plus 15% gratuity.

I plan to bring my two bottles of wine on board and will try all the drinks specials and buy a couple of martinis on my next curise in DEC.

Only you can decide if it makes sense for you which package you take.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi, we've booked and paid for our Premium Drinks Package already. However, willing to cancel to rebook at a 10% discount but no luck on the Celebrity website finding any mention of this sale. Please advise link to web page with Sale offer. Thanks in advance, Di

Hi, we've booked and paid for our Premium Drinks Package already. However, willing to cancel to rebook at a 10% discount but no luck on the Celebrity website finding any mention of this sale. Please advise link to web page with Sale offer. Thanks in advance, Di

http://www.celebritycruises.com/genericHtmlTemplate.do?pagename=beverage_promotion&ICID=CEL_12Q2_HPAB1_Beverage_PkgSale

See if that works.

Enjoy

Woody

Basically, the Premium package is $54 a day, per person. Soda is $2 a can, a decent wine runs $7 to $9 a glass, bottled water varies between $4 to $7 a bottle (including water like Perrier), specialty coffees can be as high as $6 (think White Chocolate Mocha with Bailey's), a good martini can run $12, and mixed drinks go for between $5 to $9. So knowing that, take a guess as to how much of each beverage you'll drink each day, and if it adds up to over $54, then the Premium package is a great option.

Don't forget the $54/day includes the gratuity. The prices you quoted don't so add 15%. Sounds like the Premium Al ohol package may be best for you and it will cover the better, higher priced wines (up to $ 12/glass

Don't forget the $54/day includes the gratuity. The prices you quoted don't so add 15%. Sounds like the Premium Al ohol package may be best for you and it will cover the better, higher priced wines (up to $ 12/glass

The $54 dollars per day does not include the gratuity. With the addition of the gratuity it is actually $62.10 per day. Taking the current 10% discount into account it brings the price back to approx $55.90 per day inc gratuity for the premium alcohol package.

The 10% sale is for everyone, but only if purchased before the 22nd and for cruises up to certain dates. I have booked ours and received the 10% off (you need to work it out manually as it doesn't show it in the system).:D

Only you can decide what you want to do.

Just remember with a package, you pay a fixed fee that includes a fixed service charge. If you drink alot and will easily pass the break even point of your package, then you will save paying 15% service on your drinks past that point.

Only you can decide what you want to do.

Just remember with a package, you pay a fixed fee that includes a fixed service charge. If you drink alot and will easily pass the break even point of your package, then you will save paying 15% service on your drinks past that point.

So true and because you are at sea, if anyone says anything, you can tell them that you are staggering because of the ships movement.:p

The 10% sale is for everyone, but only if purchased before the 22nd and for cruises up to certain dates. I have booked ours and received the 10% off (you need to work it out manually as it doesn't show it in the system).:D

Many thanks. Cancelled first booking and rebooked with 10% discount. Sadly the Sydney office new nothing about this nor did they try. Cheers to all. Roll on November :)

Archived