celebrating halloween on board the Grand

poe17

We have disembarked twice on Halloween day from Fort Lauderdale. Both times there displays of carved pumpkins and decorations in the Atrium as we were leaving. We took a galley tour the last sea day on one of them and they had the pumpkins on display in there as well.

Twice I have cruised on Halloween. Once it was embarking day and nothing was done to celebrate Halloween, but that was back in 1999. In 2008, I was on the Grand for Halloween and YES they did celebrate Halloween. They had a haunted house at night and 2 costume parties, once in the explores lounge and another up in the Skywalker lounge. Also for kids and adults during the day, they had a gingerbread haunted house building contest and yes the kids won. Also many carved pumpkins are about in the atrium too.

We will be starting a cruise on Halloween and I'm trying to figure out what to wear. It will be the third of our b2b2b and since we go from cool to hot weather, I'm a little concerned about the amount of our luggage so I need to find something light for our costumes. I don't want to but I may just have to bring another suitcase.

Years ago, after the kids were finished, the adults in our neighborhood use to go trick or treating for drinks. We had a blast. Maybe we can get a group together and go from bar to bar on the ship - think they would hand out drinks??

We were on the Emerald at Halloween and the atrium was decorated with pumpkins and pastries (i.e. cakes, pies,etc) and witches and goblins and balloons. There was a costume parade and many passengers did bring costumes. One person on the roll call who lived in Florida offered to receive costumes sent via mail/UPS to help with the packing issue of those who wanted to wear costumes. It was fun to watch. Also, there was candy for treats..did not see any tricks!

Our roll call had a great Halloween party on the Ruby transatlantic last year and quite a few people came dressed up. We took over Skywalkers for a couple of hours and had an amazing time. We wore our costumes most of the day, even to dinner and got a fair bit of good natured ribbing...apparently no one had ever heard of Vampire Penguins!!! :D:D The photographer was set up in the Atrium and of course, we had to get a good shot. There was also a great Halloween party later that night.

Us Brits know exactly what's going on - we just don't understand why!:D

*snort*

OK. Complete this hoween dity:

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out...:p

. . . You do the hokey-pokey and you shake them all about" ?

Some of us brits getting into it now been stateside a lot and done lots of Haunts. looking to do Halloween on the Royal princesNext year! Looking for an old suit to Bloody up and going for the full on makeup job.

Stu k

...What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

PS I've done face painting on cruises before for Halloween, as an organized activity. The level of kids activities is largely based on how many little ones are onboard for any given sailing. However, I'm sure Halloween will be observed in some merry manner!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Found this thread when it occurred to me to wonder if Halloween would be celebrated in any notable way on the Grand for the trip to the Canary Islands

While Halloween is not as 'big' in the UK as in the US, it is becoming more of a mainstream celebration, but usually only children dress up to 'trick or treat'. We've been fortunate enough to spend Halloween in the states a few times, (including staying with my uncle and aunt who live in the most awesome trick or treat area in Connecticut) which has been great fun, and one hobby I've picked up is pumpkin carving. While probably no better than US average (although one of my proudest souvenirs is a ribbon for coming second in a very competitive pumpkin carving competition stateside!) my pumpkins are usually greatly admired and I've taught some friends.

So, I don't think we'll be taking costumes, and I'll leave my pumpkin carving tools at home, but it's nice to know that there will be some fun and games!

Archived